who will win this years champions league and who will be the surprise team

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by usain2010, Jul 27, 2002.

1. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Agreed...

...now have to consider Real Madrid, Milan, Inter, and Juve all very serious candidates with their latest acquisitions.

Haven't you heard????

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Reading up now....Ronaldo to real?

Jezzz.....what more do they want, another 5 in a row?

3. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Must be something about the tapas in madrid!?!?

4. American Eagle

American Eagle New Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Gwinn, MI, USA
    My bet to win the Champions' League:
    Juventus (I realize it's early, but these guys and Italy in general are due for some European glory)

Two surprises:
    Rosenborg (coming from the weakest group), and Club Brugge (with the support of Dr. Evil, I'm sure that they'll do just fine :) ).

5. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Ronaldo to Real = repeat. Hell, you might as well make it a 3-peat.

6. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    I'm not so sure if Madrid will repeat...let alone win 5 UCL titles in a row again!?!? Although they got some young talent, they have a lot of important players who are getting old and in the twilight of their playing days (yes...that includes Zidane and Figo).

Here's a quick analysis. On offense, Real got stronger (that is if Ronaldo's knees don't crackle again)...but their weakness from last year was defense, and although Hierro more or less had a good year last season, its one more year of relying on his positioning rather than his speed...or lack thereof!?!?!?

More, importantly, can they rely on Pavon, Helguera, Campo(?), Bravo to cover that weakness in defense???? That'll determine if they can go far in all title aspirations.

Couple that with Madrid's reliance on using their offense as their best defence (personified by Roberto Carlos' meandering runs), and any disciplined team can beat them by using defensive tactics coupled with counter attacks(ie Liverpool or Bayern Munich).

That's it in a nutshell.

7. Kambiz_BAHAL

Kambiz_BAHAL New Member

ok now we got Nesta, my fav. player in the world (always has been even tho im not so fond of Lazio...)... anwyayz.. now i say we definetely have a good shot at champions league title

forza milan

8. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Last year Bayern's tactics didn't served them too much, and this year Madrid's midfield is playing better, which means more possession and more chances -and now we've got Ronaldo, or Portillo in case he's injured, which are better than Morientes-. Plus, Figo seems out of his injury problems, too.

But I must admit I'd be more confident if they had signed a good defender.

Inter's strike with Crespo & Vieri seems pretty good, too. But I'm not sure if Cuper will play both at a time.

9. MUFCSucks

MUFCSucks Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    hahahha keep the jokes coming jerky!

10. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Bayern were one goal away from heading to overtime with Madrid. Coupled with the fact that they did very well in the offseason picking up Ballack and ZeRoberto, and you have a team very capable of beating Real.

Madrid's midfield playing better??? I'll wait how they play in La Liga matches to see them in true competitive play. Can you really say Portillo is better than Moro??? He hasn't proved anything (i admit he has a lot of potential...but Morientes has proven time and again he can be useful...ie against Barca). Plus, Moro is a lot better in the air than Portillo. Figo and Zidane can easily get injured again this season...hec, I wouldn't be surprised if teams are rougher than normal against these star players.

They're definately favorites, but not unbeatable.

11. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So, the Super Cup against a team that had played several games in their league and in the CL previous round already isn't true competition?

Morientes is still in the team. And I do think Portillo would soon substitute him -if Ronaldo wasn't there -.

Yes, Figo and Zidane can get injured... so can Ballack and Ze Roberto...

12. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Hombre...I want Madrid to do well...but even thought THEY ARE the best team on paper, that doesn't mean that a smart talented team can't beat them.

They play a Supercup game...does ONE competitive game THIS season make them totally in sync with each other....oh...AND how about actually playing with Ronaldo and adapting the team system to incorporate him????

You saw last year how Real had a slow start, partly because they played a different system before Zidane and then after... They WILL need time to adjust. Certainly, Figo did not have the best of season's last year, because of injury AND incorporating Zizou into their offensive scheme.

Speaking of those two...you're right...Ballack and Ze Roberto can also get injured...but whose more likely to get injured? Players who are old and have had serious injuries in the past (Zizou and Figo) or young guys that are in their prime???

Finally, the Moro issue...he's on the team...for now...but the players themselves have said that they were worried about the deal because of the team unity and chemistry that it would have an impact on...bench bickering is what partly got Redondo, Seedorf, Suker, etc out of Madrid, and more importantly, effected team results. We'll see how the season goes with this dilemna..

But like I said before...I want Madrid to do well...

BTW...where you at in Madrid???...I lived last year in Arguelles. Finbar is a great place to watch many a football match....and to pick up hottiess!?!?

13. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, we've just won Español and they played amazingly but lacked scoring. :D

That's my point... this year the preseason is going much better than last year, mainly due to Cambiasso... this guy will become soon one of the best midfielders in Europe.

Well, true... specially Figo.

I live, ironically, near the Vicente Calderón. I know Finbar's, I have watched some games there, I remember Barça-Madrid in the CL. But I brought my own hottie with me ;) You were studying in Madrid?

14. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Cambiaso is sweet (saw him play with River)...but Espanyol is no real test either in La Liga (was there last year in the Bernabeau when they slaughtered them 5-0).

In two weeks, facing Betis in Seville...that will be a true test (and we rember how that went last year...not good...not good at all).

I worked in Madrid for about two years. Was always curious about the Calderon...primarily to see the museum if they had one...

If you're in Finnbar, hope you're a Celtic fan...can get a nice discount on the pints there!?!?!?

15. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And that's gonna be a HUGE game...

I'm not a Celtic fan... but I think if I cand fin one just to help me get that discount ;)

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Real Madrid will win it all, Arsenal will be the most succesfull English club, Ajax will surprise everyone, Italian teams will dissapoint yet again, i can see a French team make a decent run, most probably Auxerre, Bayern will be solid, but won't get past the quarter finals, Bayer will still play strangely attractive football for a German side, but won't make it further then the quarters either, Man u will have their traditional wobble that will cost them dearly, don't know when, could be any time, and Belgian teams will go out honorless after the first group stage...

P.S. If anyone wants to know the exact scores to all the games, please ask, but don't complain i spoiled the entire season for you then...

17. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    LMAO!

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real seem to be the favorite here, but I'm not too sure they will pull it off, again. I can see personel problem, specially with the signing of Ronaldo...

I think ManUre can be counted out now, as well, with Keane-o running his mouth again. And I agree, they lack depth up front.

Both Milan teams seem good, but I wounder how the late start to the season is gonna effect them. I also don't think Ronaldo's sale will hurt Inter all that much (as he just got back to full fitness this summer).

Bayern M. are poised for a good run, but as with AC Milan, they must get out of their group.

Arse-nal have the enigma of having 3 key players being on the demoralized French team. Will they use that poor performance at WC02 as motivation, or will they have an off year? I think the latter.

Liverpool, if only they avoid their injury problems. They are playing well, and Owen has not yet started scoring (after finally becoming healthy again). I think they will do well and advance out of the group, but then falter due to injuries.

I pick Bayern Munich to win it all, and Dynamo Kiev to be the surprise. They alway seem to do well, and they appear to have a somewhat favorable group. I look for them to advance, with the Old Lady being odd team out.

19. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Bayern Munich, Inter, or Real Madrid.

I don't bet, and I wouldn't place a bet now seeing as how CL hasn't even started, but if I had to, I'm gonna go with Real. This is of course subject to seeing how this so-called "Dream Team" functions in real life. If the reality lives up to the hype, then Real will be a terror for the opposition.

20. NikeScorpion

NikeScorpion New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    U.S.A
    Inter Milano or AC Milan for a good run

and Real Madrid or Roma to win it all

21. puma182

puma182 New Member

May 8, 2002
    I would add Galatasaray to the list with Inter and Milan as the "Good Run" teams of this year. The Gala squad has 60% of the Turkish National Team players, and believe me these boyz are on fire this year. They are also re-united with Fatih Terim, the coach which spurred them to win the UEFA-Cup in Y2K.

I agree Real Madrid is the team that will probably go all the way. I would also include Bayern Munich as a possible contender this year. They have a solid backbone and this year they have fortified it with the best that Germany has to offer (i.e. Michael Ballack).

Real's roster is too hard to ignore. Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Roberto Carlos, Rault etc... This is friggin unreal. It's like playing FIFA on a game-console with your dream team. The problem is they will all look like idiots if they do anything but win the whole thing.

22. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Well, after today's results...the world is in balance...

....hah!...thought i was going to give a result here, didn't ya...

23. waq1

waq1 New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Fort Lee, New Jersey
    Galatasaray will win the Champions League and the suprise team will be Basel.

24. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Real Madrid played a nice second half, but Roma really should have done better with their shots in the first half...Capello and co. aren't going to win anything if they play that way this year...

...Real looking strong again, but I think Valencia is mighty dangerous.

25. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Funny how Bayern Munich's Elber once again put his foot in his mouth...

He said before their 1st UCL game that Real Madrid were the favorites....until they met Bayern.

Well, looks after the way they played, they should have been more worried about another Spanish side.

Here's a message to Elber...."SHUT THE F*&K UP!"

Looks like the Group of Death just got interesting....