who will win this years champions league and who will be the surprise team

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by usain2010, Jul 27, 2002.

1. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Pick you champions league CHAMPS!!! and then also pick a team you think will surprise

2. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    I think that Arsenal will win it this year for some reason.

3. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I think the Metrostars will win it.

4. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    my surprise team will be auxerre

5. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    alright... the metrostars are not in the UEFA Champions League... however Im glad that you believe so much in american soccer bc one day we will dominate

6. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Just having some fun. It was still fun beating Bayern Munich last year 2-0, even though it was just a friendly.

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    At club level?

8. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    prolly not but at international level fo sho!

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I would say that perhaps the USA may one day <i>compete</i> with the so called "powers" of the football world...i would not go so far as to say the would ever <i>dominate</i>.

10. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    why not? as soon as this country starts to properly develops youth players why can't we dominate... I believe this country has the capability to be a world power in this sport once youth development is done like it is in the rest of the world... look at unpopular(not mainstream) sports in the us like swimming, tennis, cycling... these sports are not popular but are funded properly which allows for proper growth in development in the sport

but enough of this lets talk UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!!

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Back to the topic...

Bayern to win it all..

Inter Milan to surprise..

12. JBlazini24

JBlazini24 New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Man U will win the CL, count on it.

As for a surprise, does Ajax qualify? Also, watch out for AC Milan, they just got Rivaldo.

13. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    JBlazini24 you da man

MAN U 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Real Madrid to win la decima.

AEK Athens as the surprise team.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    AEK Athens as the surprise team. [/B][/QUOTE]

Interesting choice, any reason in particular?

I took Bayern over Real as they always play them tough and have added admirably to their squad this time around.Ze Roberto and Ballack should give Elber the service he needs to become lethal.

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    BTW...aren't they the team that may have to play another of their country to advance to the group stages?

17. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, we still seem to underrate the Greek teams on these boards pretty frequently. However, Olympiakos and Panathinaikos have both performed pretty well over the past few years in Champions' League play, the latter in particular. AEK, the third member of the Greek big three, regularly gives both these teams a run for their money domestically and should be relishing the idea of what I believe is their first appearance in the European Cup since it switched over to the Champions' League format. Plus, their roster is nothing to laugh at - there is, of course, the load of Greek internationals that you might expect, but pay particular attention to striker Demis Nikolaidis and former Sevilla star Vassilis Tsartas. They also, I believe, feature Paraguayan international defender Carlos Gamarra.

18. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    As is usual with such teams though, their progress into the later stages of the competition will largely depend on the draw and the subsequent pairings they end up with in the group stages.

There can be no doubt though that over the past couple of seasons that the "smaller"teams have been improving each and every season.

I wonder if they will be in pot three or pot four if they make it to the group stages?

19. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    I think you have to favor Manchester United in any competion this season because they are hungrier after winning nothing last year.

20. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sold Gamarra to Inter.

I think Bayern is my early favorite because they have every position covered this year with the arrival of Ballack, Deisler, and Ze Roberto. But if Milan can get Cannavaro they will have a dynamite starting eleven. and I would vault them to the top.

As a surprise I would go for Fenerbahce. They just signed Ortega and they can't play any worse than they did in last years Champions League. But they will have to get through Feyenoord first.

21. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that was the criteria than Leverkusen would be the odds on favorite. They finished 2nd in every competition last year.

22. scouseratheart

scouseratheart New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    USA
    also keep in mind that ManUtd is not even in the competition yet...

23. JBlazini24

JBlazini24 New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Have you seen who we're playing in the final qualifying round?

Yeah. We're in.

24. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man U Will win

and Ajax will finish second.

thanks

25. scouseratheart

scouseratheart New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    USA
    dont count yer chickens before they hatch...you coulda been facing Fenerbache...