Who will win this group?

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria' started by Christina99, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Wich teams will go through?

1. Argentina

53 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Croatia

39 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Iceland

17 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. Nigeria

24 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest I am too. I actually thought this was their year to finally beat us. Sorry guys. Hopefully you don't get a group with us next time, lol.

2. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    So happy for Croatia. Dalic has done an excellent job so far with making the team consistency. They were always a tough team at their best, but have been inconsistent in the past (I guess some of that was to do with fans trouble and Mamic).

Anyway I really think this team has what it takes to win the tournament. In fact most of the other favorites: France, Portugal, Uruguay, Argentina, Germany, Brazil, and Belgium, will likely be in the other half of the bracket. Spain is the only contender Croatia will have to worry about before the final. And the Spanish team has been looking questionable lately, especially after they sacked their manager prior to the World Cup (it has really started to show, especially in Game 3).

If they can get past Spain and likely beat England/Colombia/Belgium in the semis, then they will just have to put in the performance of their lives in the final, and hopefully be champion. I am LOVING this team, and nice to see a team with quite a few world class players (that has not had nearly as much history) compete for this, especially after my team (Italy) failed in the most disappointing way ever.

Nico777 repped this.
  3. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Step by step...we have to worry about Denmark first.

4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yeah, not getting ahead of myself, I was just looking in the long run. But yeah, Denmark is not a team to be underestimated.

Nico777 repped this.
  5. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Belgium going to be at the same side too.

6. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    We can beat anyone but we can also lose to Denmark on sunday...
    First we have to reach the 1/4 before thinking about Spain Belgium and others.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I believe Belgium will beat England. And if they don't, that proves that Belgium is probably not as strong as we thought.

8. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Croatia was by far the best team in the group and it deserved the first spot.

Also, thanks for beating Iceland.

And nothing but respect for Nigeria too.

Not taken into account how awful we were, this group was as tough as they come.

Pipiolo and Nico777 repped this.
  9. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We were awful but we got the 2nd spot :cool:

10. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Ok what i meant is i dont think Belgium wanna beat England.
    I think they wanna avoid Brazil or Germany in a quarterfinal.

11. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Uruguay Portugal
    France Argentina
    1 E 2 F
    1 G 2 H

Espana Russia
    Croatia Denmark
    1 F 2 E
    1 H 2 G

12. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    LOL, England will probably feel the same way too. Really though, if they want to lose, they can easily score own goals on purpose.

13. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    The thing is, Belgium has less yellow cards than England. If they literally just walk around all match (No need for own goals) they will get 2nd place.

HansWorldCup repped this.
  14. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    What if England scores an own goal purposely in the last minute?

Honestly I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. I believe both teams will play to win regardless.

15. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    FIFA starts an investigation and likely kicks them out for anti-sport behavior.

16. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    How would that be anti-sport behavior?

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to that first quarter final in Nizny Novgorod. Man I am so hoping that's Portugal v Argentina. Given the way the teams have played probably not, but one cam only hope.

Nico777 repped this.
  18. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    LOL?
    Thanks pipinogol

19. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    At least now many people will understand that qualifiers and friendlies don't mean much. When you have the class players they can wake up at any time.

20. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Argentina played better football, scored two great goals, had 67% possession and won deservedly.

In the end Nigeria just did not have enough quality at key moments. I am thinking of Rebic and Ighalo in similar situations against Argentina. In fact Rebic's situation was more difficult. Rebic coolly scores and Ighalo sends the ball to a different town.

I look forward to France Argentina. Should be a great game.

Sandinista, pipinogol and Christina99 repped this.
  21. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yeah people say that Rebic's goal was a complete give away, but really it wasn't that easy to score actually. It was an airball, and Rebic had to do his overhead kick at the right time and the right angle, a lot harder than people would expect actually.

France vs Argentina will be a great game!

22. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I liked our subs performance yesterday. I don't think that many teams in the tournament could have subbed 9 players and still win a world cup game against a squad fighting for round 16 till the end.

Proves talent and depth.

Will be hard against Denmark they will be tough..we will have to show both mental tactical physical and technical skills.

23. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I actually don't think you "owned" this group as much as you think. It was far more fortune, than anything Croatia did.

Against Nigeria you got a lucky own goal and a stupid penalty. You had 0 shots on goal the entire match. Your team didn't do that much tbh. The only thing you did better than us was defending corners.

Against Argentina the scoreline seems emphatic but it was a very even game, with Argentina even slightly better until basket case Caballero gifted you guys a goal and then just crumbled from there. What would have happened with Armani in goal.

I didn't see the Icleand game bit you beat a team needing a win with your reserves which is good.

I know you wont agree with me and you will tell us how great Croatia is, and I agree you have a great team, bit the overall final standings flatters you A LOT.

Christina99 and Hayaka repped this.
  24. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    9 > 4 + 3 + 1

7 goals scored 1 goal concedeed from a pk with a reserve squad.
    Best attack best defense of the group.

2-0 against yours without even sweat...

3-0 against one of the biggest nations and group seed.

2-1 against Iceland with 9 subs on the pitch.

If it is not own the group nothing is...

Anyway whatever now we got to worry about Denmark while you can explain us till 2022 how great your players are for winning a friendly there or there...

25. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    There is a thing called context, I know you don't understand.

Yes you owned the group if you want to look at raw numbers. How exciting.

For people who actually watched the matches and saw the great LUCK you had with at least your first 2 matches, I think they can have a more nuanced understanding of how the group went down. Very flattering is my opinion, but congrats and good luck anyways.