Who will win the world cup 2006?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Colm, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    That usually holds true in World Cups up to the quarter final matches.

2. ynwalfc

ynwalfc New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    THe US winning the world cup? haha it makes me sick to my stomach. Never will a team with a crap domestic league win it. Face the truth!

BIG TIP: Kick and run does not work, haha

3. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    San Luis FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

HA HA HA sooooooooooo true good way to start with ur first POST!! high five :D

4. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    I voted for the Dutch to win it all but if my dream would come true, The USNT would be crowned champions in Germany 06. Imagine how much it would help US soccer in America grow. Anyways I voted for the Dutch. :D

5. CentraLSocceR411

CentraLSocceR411 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Burlington, IL

haha

6. Gazza Meola

Gazza Meola New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Redmond, Oregon
    I agree that it seems superfluous to register votes for non-European teams in the tournament. Surely, Brazil and Argentina are capable of making a run at the title. It remains likely, however, that a European side should take the title.

The Czech Republic appears to be a top-notch dark horse (a dark horse in the sense of a nation that has not previously won the Cup). Germany and England also have advantages in this tourney.

7. juan gonzalez

juan gonzalez New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    indiana
    come on don't put mexico or the USA down people

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Welcome to BigSoccer newbie, opinions abound here. :)

9. toneroll

toneroll New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    mancunian in FL

maybe you should change your nickname, it doesn't suit you.

England CAN (meaning -it's very possible) beat all of the above.

the USA however... well......... ahem. :eek:

10. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    San Luis FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! :D :D :D ayyyyyy paisano ni sabes. You have no Idea Newbie go around see what it is all about first then post....you wanna see some good stuff go to World Rivalries in the IRAN-MEXICO threads you will past out compared to this weak sauce comments. HE HE HE im still laughing at you....jkjk ur cool. WELCOME to Bigsoccer!

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the English who had the balls to say they would win it?

12. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    England over Brazil 3 - 1 in the final.

13. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I love the fact that noone thinks France has a chance. They play thier best as an underdog.

Allez les Bleus!

14. davidalanreese

davidalanreese New Member

May 23, 2004
    Dallas
    This pole seems to express something of a delusional mindset. I hope the U.S. does great and wins the whole thing, but it isn't going to happen. It would be a bigger miracle than the 1980 Winter Olympics "Miracle on Ice" for the U.S. to make it to the semi-finals much less the finals. It would be optimistic to think that the U.S. will even make it past the group stage. So, I'm a little suprised to see the numbers for the U.S. WINNING the World Cup. I'm also suprised that Mexico is rated so high seeing they have never even made a semi-finals despite hosting the cup twice. Mexico is in the same boat as the U.S. - make it to the Quarter-Finals and you've won your World Cup. Finally, Germany is hosting the World Cup and probably deserves some more respect than they've been given in this pole. I'd be shocked if Germany didn't make the semi-finals no matter how unremarkable their players or playing style seems to be. They're frigging Germany and the almost make it to the final four no matter what. I'll say this - I bet Germany goes further than Portugal.

15. canadianscraggledog

canadianscraggledog New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    London, Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Interesting comments from everyone, but too bad you only seem to focus on a few teams. I'll try to give my 2 cents from a slightly different perspective.

Germany have an excellent chance, as they are the home team, and always do well in the tournament. They always seem to show up for the big games.

Brasil look good still. Some top class players in midfield and up front. Not the greatest D, but who needs it, when you score more than the other team :)

Czech Republic should be strong, but really depends if Nedved shows up. They have one of the best keepers in Peter Cech and look solid in mid.

The Dutch have loads of talent. They question is, can they finally get some luck going and win the big games. They always seem to lose in those important games.

Poland have finished 3rd in the WC finals twice. They looked strong in qualifying and have quality players in all positions. As a side note, if some people think USA is gonna win, then Poland have a way better shot, as they beat them in the last WC and Polands side is much stronger now. Plus they got robbed in WC 1974 when they lost to the Germans in the semi's when it was poring rain and only 1/2 the field was cleaned up. They are out for blood and just happen to be in the same group this time!

England, can they finally get through a tournament without someone making a huge meal of something. They always seem to screw up at the most critical time.

(also to the comment the USA cannot score, just look at Brian McBride's 8 EPL goals, better than almost any English striker. Im no USA fan, but just trying to add some balance to this forum.)

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  17. toneroll

toneroll New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    mancunian in FL
    erm nevermind strikers lampard is the second best scorer in the league, he is a midfielder, rooney has scored 10, stevie gerrard 6 (midfielder)

Originally Posted by Football Expert
    There is no no no no no no NO way on god's green earth that England wins the next world cup.......I mean really
    USA wont even get out of the group stage, the US fans get carried away with their winning streak or whatever.......listen, it obvious that their gonna keep winning if their playing trinidad, jamaica, st.vincent and guyana all the time..........Neither the US or england can beat BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, ITALY, PORTUGAL, SPAIN, OR GERMANY!!!!!

why am i always seeing comments like these, where americans insist on comparing the us national team to the english one. stop doing it we are leaps and bounds ahead of you, we are in different leagues altogether.

our team consists of players from chelsea ,man U , tottenham, arsenal, liverpool, real madrid , and newcastle.

yours consists of players from man city , reading , fullham, galaxy, revolution, fire, muchengladbach or whatever etc.

no need to give me negative rep as well you know, i am only stating a point.

18. toneroll

toneroll New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    mancunian in FL
    oh and one of our subs, darren bent has 10. (i cant edit so i had to re post)

19. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    Last time I checked, most of the 'West Indie' islands are still colonies of Eurpoean nations. So before you go jumping on the anti-US-soccer bandwagon, you might want to take notice that the poster you are criticising is not from the US.

20. toneroll

toneroll New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    mancunian in FL
    i'm not just on about the last poster , i see it all over these boards. and i am not on the anti "- us soccer bandwagon -" i just can't understand why in a thread like this people have to compare usa with england, they're like chalk and cheese.

21. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

I dunno...for a start, England has a much easier group then the US which is in the 2nd hardest group. And most folks around here seem to think the US will beat Italy. I do agree that England has a better squad (by far) but the Yanks will make an impact and will certainly get out of the group stage. Their main concern should be the 2nd round where they meet Brazil. But they've beaten them before, so... Let us wait and see.

22. bayern1

bayern1 New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    I honestly think that some US fans are just ignorant .When they see the US crushing the Granadas and Panamas of the world , they think the US must be a world class team . In the summer, when they are up against the Czechs , Italy and Ghana they will be proven wrong.

23. jspur317

jspur317 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    rhode island
    listen

if anyone wants to make a monetary bet. i'll give 4 to one odds on any amount that italy doesn't win the cup. if anyone really thinks they win let me know and i'll bet you

24. jspur317

jspur317 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    rhode island
    about the english national team. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the English Premier League is very overrated. I see that you are naming all the great teams that your english national team play for. i don't think that these teams are so great. i don't think that england will make it past the quarterfinal this year. I am a USMN fan. I think they have a chance at beating out italy, but not a chance in hell in getting by czech rep. who is fielding a spectacular team at this next world cup

25. jspur317

jspur317 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    rhode island
    Listen france was good when they played in france. they have a bunch of old foliks now and they don't have a chance at getting this world cup. give it a rest. maybe when france hosts the cup again we'll see france rise... bon chance