Who will win the Gold Cup?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Latin Pride, Mar 4, 2005.

1. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The US will win the Gold Cup. Mexico has a bad record against the US on American (or Asian!) soil. To be honest I'm not even sure Mexico will make the final. Costa Rica for 2nd place maybe? If this was the start of the tournament I would have said Colombia could have won it but after that amateur display against Panama there's no way they'll make the final. I feel bad for Canada. I always felt that Canada like Australia was among the "next generation" of football nations. They should do what Australia did and move to another confederation. Maybe UEFA so they can get "quality" opposition! LOL!

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could always go to OCEANIA.

3. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

Despite the defeat, Mexico looked like it was on a completely different level against South Africa. The easy 4-0 thrashing of Guatemala confirms this. Mexico SHOULD stroll to a championship (of course every game is different, & sometimes you can create 25 chances, put three of them in the posts & still lose 2 to 1....so anything can happen).

4. PUMA Auriazul

PUMA Auriazul New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Mexico
    Let me put it straight for all that ignorant people who think Mexico wont make it to the final.
    1) Mexico was Unlucky thats all against the game with South Africa.

2) South Africa was very lucky, Mexico had the choice of making over 9 goals while South Africa had only about 3

3)When Mexico loses it will be very hard for other teams to beat them again.

4) Concacaf teams be ready cause here comes the real Mexico.

5. raay420

raay420 New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    :eek: MEXICO!!!!!! OVER USA MEXICO WILL MOPp the floor withn usa. we will beat the usa in their home and loot their country... lol im kidding. yeah mexico will beat the united states. mexico puts a great game with whoever it plays against. i think borgetti,morales,marquez,and oswaldo will bring us the trophy.!!!! usa team sucks. :cool:

6. raay420

raay420 New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Mexico is the Soccer King of Central America. English travelers introduced modern Soccer to Mexico in the late 19th century. Englishmen also founded the first soccer club in Mexico: the Pachuca Athletic Club, in 1900. After that many clubs sprang up. Today Mexico boasts one of the best leagues in the Americas, with clubs such as Pumas, Chivas, Cruz Azul and Club America. The Mexican League has long been home to some of the best South American players outside of Europe, as well as the steady crop of top Mexican talents. The outstanding league has helped the National Team become one of the strongest in the continent. The Tricolores’ first victory was January 1st, 1923 in Guatemala 3 to 2. That first triumph set the stage for a long winning soccer history. Mexico was one of 13 nations to participate in the inaugural 1930 FIFA World Cup in Uruguay. Beginning in 1950, Mexico qualified for six consecutive World Cup Finals; they’ve qualified for 12 in all. Mexico has hosted two World Cup Finals – 1970 and 1986, both times reaching the quarterfinals! In 1999 Mexico defeated Brazil 4 to 3 to hoist the FIFA Confederations Cup. The Mexican side is no doubt the powerhouse of CONCACAF: The Tri has won 4 CONCACAF Gold Cups – versus the United States in 1993 and 1998 and against Brazil in 1996 and 2003 by a combined score of 8 to 0!

7. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    WTF? ray?? no one cares...anyways if the Mexican federation was founded in 1927 why is a 1923 considered a first victory?

8. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yes, that is very true.

9. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Actually Mexico sucks. At least their style of play. They run around like ants wasting energy. Then they have 5 players tackling the one opposing player who has the ball - great if they tackle it away but that's just dumb if the opposing player boots it out to another teammate cos now you have 5 Mexicans in the wrong place! Mexico needs to learn a more patient, less panicky style of football. Actually it was an English commentator who said he felt Mexico was playing "panic football" against the US in WC 2002. Look how Brazil patiently moves the ball up the field. Mexico's good in a kind of raw way but they need to develop more intelligent plays on the field. They need to keep possession better. The US team has a more European style of play with controlled long balls and they tend to control the speed of the game more.

10. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Mexico loses by 6 goals today (which we can all argee is not likely)
    The USA will play the third place team in group C. If mexico loses then USA play mexico. The winner of group C would play Colombia.

So its possible Mexico will either have to play the USA or Colombia next round, the only way they avoid both is if South Africa wins too, then Mexico plays Panama.

11. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    OUCH!!!

12. kehl

kehl Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Kamogawa BG
    I think the final will (and should be) USA vs México, and México will win ^__^

13. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The US will win.

14. PUMA Auriazul

PUMA Auriazul New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Mexico
    Well now I think it will be the US.

15. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    Well I am hoping that Panama can eliminate the other non-Concacaf team.. so we can at least have an all-Concacaf final.. pathetic as this tournament is viewed by many people. I would not want it to be tainted by a non-Concacaf team winning it, especially a Conmebol team. Pan - Col is going to be a very hard game for Pan, as Col is coming off playing well and would love to extract a little revenge against Panama for winning the opener. to bad Mexico couldnt win their game.. Mexico against non-concacf teams this tourny.. 2 losses, Panama 1 win 1 tie, you guys see something wrong with this picture??

a Pan - Hon final would be ideal for me, but I dont see two upsets happening in the semis..

16. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yes a non-CONCACAF winner would look very embarrassing for an already much-maligned confederation so it has to be an all-CONCACAF final. Panama-Honduras would be great but that would be 2 monumental upsets!

17. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    US gotta win this thing, but i'll be cheering for PANAMA!

18. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    Honduras or Panama.. someone has to represent Central America..

Hondurans are going to have a good argument about they should be in the Hex..beat Panama, beat Costa Rica and tied Trinidad.. all 3 teams in the Hex.. lets see how they fair against the US

19. Rudy R9

Rudy R9 New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Estadio Azteca
    Its gonna be USA but ill root for panama

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    129 FOOLS miss thier vote? How can that be?

the Majority is wrong again? I demand a recount of votes.....

21. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    actually the majority is 189 votes for USA...:eek:

22. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    Really didnt want to quote myself.. but I am damn proud of my NT and we actually have a chance at winning this tournament.. Might be a slim chance but no one expected us to pass the group stage.. and no one considered us to get through South Africa and Colombia..

vamos Panama a ganar!!!!

23. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    damn dude! Right on with your prediction...

Can you hook me up with some lottery numbers?

24. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    If it were only that easy..:D

25. dhines

dhines Red Card

Jul 23, 2005
    Couldn't have said it better myself . . . when was the last time mexico beat the US away from Azteca?