Who Will Win The Copa Libertadores???

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by SoyDelMustang, Jan 3, 2008.

1. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Haha I felt like fighting all of the fans that hit robinson zapata with garbage and bottles and shit. There fans are like freaking savages.and wasnt there a penalty on pajoy like in injury time?? i forgot because whenever i watch the game again i get pissed.

2. MengoFan_

MengoFan_ New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Brazil
    Why Fluminense and not Flamengo or Cruzeiro?LOL

Flamengo finished 3rd in the last brasileirao,they have a great team that now have Kleberson,world champion in 2002 whit the national team...

Besides Flamengo is the most popular club in Brasil and have a lot more tradition than Flu in international(and national of course) competitions.

My vote goes to Sao Paulo,Boca or Flamengo hoping eliminate Flu in the first FlaxFlu in a libertadores.

Sorry for the crap English ;D .

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    U are too Small for them, they are at least 5.5':p

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bemvindo ao forúm MengoFan_.:) É sempre bom pra ter um outro flamenguista aqui. Fique à vontade de entrar na seção brasileira do forum..tá faltando boas discussões ae.

SRN

5. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

let's not forget they were 'pounded' in the World Club Championship final. Boca also hasnt won a local championship in the last 3 tries.;)

6. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    in my opinion, i dont think this year will be for the underdogs, like before, i think this is a the year, when the big names of all america are gona dominate, theres just to many big names at the moment. Riquelme, palermo, Cabanas, Adriano(plus everyother brazilian player)

7. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

until America(mex) at least reaches the finals of CL they are still an underdog of sorts. Boca - Sao Paolo are the 2 big guns and then there's the rest.

8. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

they will be the under dog against those teams you mentioned, but will not be considered an underdog against the rest.

9. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I dont really consider Boca or Sao Paola to be beastly, like you describe.there good but any other team can beat them. in the sudamericana ..neither one of them made it to the final. boca lost to sao paolo and millonarios beat sao paolo. and america lost to arsenal.:eek:

10. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    America got pretty lucky in the draw though. River is obviously tough, but U de San Marin is not a great team, and Universidad Catolica got into the thing by luck as they weren't even in the top (5) in Chile this past year --- plus they haven't improved at all.

11. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Boca without Riquelme is not the same as Boca with Riquelme.

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    SPFC played their reserves versus everyone but Boca. Now they have Adriano and Carlos Alberto on the squad.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

That's BS. The squad that played the first leg against Millonarios was basically the same that played against Boca. Rogerio was not in the line up because he was injured or something like that. Other than the keeper the only changes were Junior and Diego Tardelli.

Vs Millonarios
    BOSCO (Arq.), BRENO, ANDRÉ DIAS, MIRANDA, JÚNIOR, HERNANES, LEANDRO, SOUZA (-46'), HUGO, DIEGO TARDELLI (-57'), RICHARLYSON

Vs Boca
    ROGÉRIO CENI (Arq.), BRENO, ANDRÉ DIAS, MIRANDA, JORGE WAGNER, HERNANES, LEANDRO (-89'), SOUZA (-55'), HUGO, ALOISIO (-75'), RICHARLYSON

You could say that Millos was very lucky (indeed it was), but please do not say that Sao Paolo did not want to win Sudamericana and that they did not play the main squad.

SoydelPotro is right in that when it comes to international competitions there are numerous factors and very few players (Riquelme among them) are able to make such an impact in a team that his addition will make them instantly into contenders. Sao Paolo has been a very succesful team during the last decade and IMHO there is not much that Adriano at its present stage could bring to the table to make them into sure finalists. But most likely they'll have a winnable road until QF. Boca is a great team with Riquelme and a pedestrian one when he does not play.

Probably we wil find that there are around 6 or 7 teams that have clear chances to win it all, probably Boca, Sao Paolo, another Brazilian, one of the Mexicans,Nacional from Colombia, Libertad or Colo-Colo. It is also very likely that there will be another Cinderalla making its way to late stages. Andthe beauty of the tournament is that the race is very open.

14. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Why not? Its the absolute truth.

We only played with all of our starters in both games against Boca. The lineups you mentioned are wrong. You didnt even mentioned our starter Dagoberto, a key player in the game against Boca. And Tardelli has never been a starter.

Believe me. A game where Rogerio Ceni, Dagoberto and Jorge Wagner dont play, is not a game we are dying to win.

Sao Paulo players and our coach even said after the elimination that out of the Sulamericana they could dedicate more to the Brazilian Championship (that, by the way, we won.)

15. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think we cared more about beating Boca's ass then winning the Sudamericana :D

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The only teams in Brazil that value the Sul-Americana are those who have no shot at grabbing a Libertadores spot and safe from relegation. São Paulo only played Boca to get their revenge on them from the Recopa a year ago and to call themselves the best of SA since Boca won the CL in 2007.

I agree with you that there are other teams that could surprise, but I think SPFC should be mentioned among the favorites. I wouldn't call any team, even Boca, a sure finalist in this competition.

17. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    News: Werder Bremen cederá al Sao Paulo al brasileño Carlos Alberto

El Werder Bremen quiere ceder al brasileño Carlos Alberto al Sao Paulo brasileño, informó este martes el secretario técnico del club, Klaus Allofs.

More...

18. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    thy way colombian teams are signing players, i highly doubt they have a chance to win. and the ones that do sign good players are not even in the Libertadores. For example , Santa Fe and Junior. January isnt over hopefully they get a move on.

19. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    I kind of wish Cruz Azul could have been in this Libertadores 2008 they got robbed of a goal in interliga I know their coach was dying to take part in this tournament.

20. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    well, where to start. let's see

They lost one player this offseason, unless you count players like Krupoviesa, Bruno Uribarri and Carlos Bueno. Those three players barely played anyways. The only loss was Banega. Yet last year, we lost Gago right before the Copa Libertadores and Banega/Battaglia stepped in. We still have Battaglia and we have another youth player that will start getting a chance, Benavides.

Other than that, the only other loss from the squad that won the Libertadores last year was 'Cata' Diaz, but hopefully with more experience under his belt, Paletta will step up especially now that he will play alongside Caceres or Silvestre (both players with much more experience than Maidana)

Arsenal didn't play in the 2007 Libertadores. Your thinking of the Sudamericana which is completely different

See above on Banega. Also the road was far from easy. We had 3 first round games in high altitudes (Flamengo complained about one game imagine if they were the ones to play 3). Velez was another favorite to take it all as they were playing very well. Libertad is another team that is one of the best in South America at the moment. Playing in Cucuta was very difficult because of the heat that almost saw us knocked out. Then Gremio, well they did knock out Sao Paolo, though they we picked them apart pretty easily.

Things will be different with Riquelme on the pitch this time around (if we do play each other).

'pounded'?? You obviously didn't see the game. The first half we played better than Milan and the second half was more Boca's lack of experience in the backfield and mistakes by Morel that cost us the game. The 4-2 scoreline didn't give us justice to how even the teams were for most of the game.

That tournament was neither team's #1 priority that semester though. The only reason they had starters playing at all was because they played each other in the Round of 16.

21. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

22. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Well, You can also expect a much stronger São Paulo with the adition of Adriano to our offense, plus some other good players we signed for this Libertadores like Fabio Santos, Joilson, Juninho and Carlos Alberto.

23. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    that is true.

But how good is Adriano? is he recovering from his achohol problems? It is sad to see such a good player waste so much talent. Hopefully he can get back on track (but not if he plays against Boca lol)

24. Bandeirante_SPFC

Nov 15, 2005
    Sao Paulo, SP
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  25. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    yes, but I want to know if he is going to play well now, because at Inter he ended up not playing and he has had personal problems. Is he all better now??? Because I read somewhere he was in a car accident, i think a couple weeks ago or something