Who will win the 2011 Gold Cup?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by RedCoatsforever, Oct 9, 2010.

1. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada!

Who's your pick?
    Voting can be done all the way up to the final game day of the tourney!

2. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    It's either Mexico or the US...That's how CONCACAF wants it to be!Though I'd like to see a central american nation winning it.

I'm sorry to go off topic on the thread you started RedCoatsforever,but the fact of the matter is,I'm the first one to reply to your thread after more than 2 weeks of it being there.The thread concerns the regional event that will take place next year and who has a chance of winning it.But as you probably noticed shortly after a few days(when you saw that nobody replied to it),people aren't even interested in discussing about this thing one bit.Why?Well,simple answer:It's a hundred percent garbage!!Had this been the European Championship,the African Nations Cup or the AFC Asian Cup,you would have gotten plenty of replies already,even before the draw would be made!But CONCACAF's regional event is so lame that it isn't even worth talking about it and it's sad and unfortunate.Now would be about time for CONCACAF to roll up their sleeves and do their best to give us a decent/enjoyable event.

What will it take for things to change?

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe waiting until we know who's going to play in the tournament, perhaps? Only 3 teams are even in as of right now. If you want to see activity, though, the Caribbean forum's buzzing with qualifying for the Caribbean Cup.

4. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    No offence but what is there to talk about when the two teams that will reach the final are already in it to begin with?!

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we need 10 other teams to fill out the tournament field (9 + Canada). And, for those of us that have rooting interests outside of the Big 2 in CONCACAF (in my case, Haiti by way of parents), there is something to talk about.

Remember, the US and Mexico jointly make up about 4% of CONCACAF's membership, and the other teams have to play games too. Unless, for instance, you believe that all there is to talk about in, say, the Copa America, is when Argentina and Brazil are going to face off for the title (good luck convincing Mexicans, Uruguayans, Paraguayans, Chileans, Colombians, etc. that their games don't matter).

6. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Mexico will win this easy for one good reason ,
    Young players having good momentum " assuming this continues" , Prolly chicharito or any other player in europe will not play and just be home league players.

New coach : Not a bad coach and he knows what to do.

...I dont see any other team right now looking good , Mexico looks crappy itself but we got players that can do a good job and need to fix issues .

7. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When Stephen Hart plays our up-and-comers we look pretty damn good right now, we almost beat the Ukraine in Kyiv.

I think it's an open tournament this time around (in terms of skill, not seeding and reffing) Mexico is obviously a perennial favourite, but both the Tricolores and USA have some competition in the region now, Costa Rica and Honduras have looked pretty strong of late.

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To this day I wonder why the CSA didn't keep Hart in charge for the last WC qualifying cycle.

9. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Yes but between the two of them they've been dominating this region for a while now.One of them will reach the final and it's a miracle if it the other one doesn't.What I meant earlier is that CONCACAF is chasing money so they know that if the US and Mexico reach the final,they'll get a packed house(thus,more money that will go directly in the pockets of Jack Warner and gang).So,for them it's the best scenario....

10. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    One word: ineptitude.

11. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    I'm guessing that Mexico will win it.But I'd like to see a smaller team like Costa Rica winning it.

12. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USA is hosting it, so they will by the favorite.

13. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Let's talk about this some time next year, ok?

14. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    With the Gold Cup in Califonia we get the Idea that USA/Concacaf are
    counting on a USA-Mexico Final . Another thing with the Tournament
    the referees always give players from the caribbean redcards and that helps to frustrate things .:( It's sure a caribbean team wont make the
    final .

15. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Refereeing has always been a huge problem imo in the GC ,

But I don't see a Mexico US final . I see a Mexico vs Costa Rica maybe or Mexico vs Honduras if it's possible.

16. AC 03

AC 03 New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    did they lost at home last final by Mexico 0/5

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Final is going to be at the Rose Bowl.

...where the USSF feels so confident about pulling a home crowd that it was willing to deal with the FMF and move the home leg of the USA-Mexico series (from the now-defunct Hex) to the Los Angeles area in exchange for Mexico's home game moving to Monterrey/away from the Azteca.

18. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know any of the US players who were on that team?

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuart Holden +10. :D

20. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

if refereeing were'nt a problem , jamaica is a possible finalist (pending Qualification ) we have the players from MLS and Nordic
    leagues to do it, but the prejudices of those ref to officiate it is a remote
    possibility .

21. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A better question would be, "Who the f*ck cares who wins the 2011 Gold Cup?" I probably won't watch a single match.

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    No...the best question would be...who voted for Belize :S

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Bold prediction - los Estados Unidos will win the Gold Cup. I'll decide which one will win it for sure by June.

25. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    No T&T in the polls :mad: