Who Will Win Euro 2004?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by jmcclain19, Oct 14, 2003.

1. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Thoughts on Group C
    ----------
    The Swedes are masters of advancing out of groups. In recent years Denmark has won groups over sides like the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, France, Romania, and Norway.

Italy are notorious slow starters and have never had a whole lot of success against Scandinavian clubs (4-1-4 v. Sweden; 3-0-2 v. Denmark all time). Italy will be the flop of the tournament.

France will win final against Holland or England.

2. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    La France will crush all these puny countries who actually think they even have le smallest chance to win this cup.

3. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    isnt that what you were saying prior to wc02

france had a joke of a qualifying group
    and even though they won the confederations cup they didnt impress me there

france has the most depth but we'll see

btw do us a favor crush england in the first game and make sure their guys pick up some yellows

4. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turkey is so far down on the list, that they won't even get a match in ;P (perhaps you should give Latvia a little more credit).

That being said, I think Italy takes it because of the easier first round. Spain and Portugal, England and France, Germany and Holland - they'll all knock themselves silly in the group stages. Italy hasn't won a major in quite a while and I finally think it's their time, especially after the difficult loss to swallow in Euro 2000.

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it does not really matter. The Czech Republic will play Germany in the first round. By the quarterfinals when injuries started to take its toll, Germany will be playing against teams with talent pools as deep.

6. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    2002 comes before le 2003

Non, can you not le see that I did not even grace this forum by joining before may 2003?

7. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    france or spain.

8. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think Del Peiro, Veiri and Totti will have to say something about that. Tell me, who does either Sweden or Denmark have that could possibly stop such a powerful trio?

9. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Italy has turned to be an underachiever in NT competitions.

They are always among the four favorites, but have failed to win a major tournament since 1982 and a Euro Cup since 1968.

Far from being a problem, like it seems to be for Spain, it is an itch for Italians.

10. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    They are just names. Italy had bigger names the last time we met and still we won (qualification game to euro 2000). I fear sweden far more than Italy because sweden plays like a team.

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Denmark will get at least a draw against Italy, quite possibly a win. Italy is vulnerable to pace at the back and their fullbacks are lacking. Denmark's fast wingers and counterattacks will tear them apart.

Sweden are a very good solid team.

Italy seem to have a lot of hype on this board for someone, clearly people were not watching them in qualifying or their performances in the last World Cup. Italy 2004 is not Italy 1982 or even Italy 1994.

12. ZZ10

ZZ10 New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    PARIS
    all of them are French - 9 of your list were born in France - the other 2 are adopted french.

Now tell me which of the following basket ball players are actually americans (I mean, by your definition i.e. ancestors of the american indians)

Michael Jordan : no
    Bryant : no
    O neal : no
    any other US sport man : no

now go get yourself a life.

13. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

I believe they are better than in any of those years. From goalie to defense to defensive midfield to creative midfield to goal scorers.

The key is ... they have an even bench as well.

14. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york

thats why croatia started your downfall at wc02
    and then that ang dude put you out of your misery

italys problem is there attacking midfield is weak!!!!
    who plays the wings??????

croatia scored 2 goals on that italian defense in 90 minutes and our team was at their lowest point at wc02 mixing the old and young guys at training camp problems between the players.....

dont get me wron i still see italy as having a shot to win it all but i think it will be holland taking it
    and the czechs and france are in there as well.

spain and england will NOT win this thing--whoever is saying this doesnt know much about their NT and behavior
    youll see

favorites
    holland italy czech france

spain england and portugal ---NO WAY

15. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    ZZ10,

Bravo! and thank you.

As if RevPOWA's comment were not ignorant enough, you might notice that he left Zidane out of France's starting XI. He not only needs a life, he needs a brain!

16. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    well cisse wont be playing at euro 2004 after his suspension and since henry and pires + viera have to carry arsenal all season long can someone say injuries or overexhaustion

france looks stron now but lets see what theyll look like on paper in may.....
    same thing with the england lads
    play as many games as possible exhaust yourself
    hahahaaa

17. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ya but players are supposed to play hard for their clubs, personally I wouldn't have it any other way. If every player was like Ronaldo and just rested a whole year, then ofcourse he's gonna win the WC. It's the guys who play their guts out and still have some sweat to drop at the end of the year and then compete in international tournaments...those are the guys who should be respected.

18. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Sounds like Italy to me. ;)

19. Mrs Greenleaf

Mrs Greenleaf New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Chelyabinsk Russia
    Dark horses are: Russia and Latvia!!!
    But Latvia in the group of death. An d Russia has problems with the coach. If he is going to be all right than Russia will show it"s power!!!
    If not than Rep. of Chezch will win: i had a dream...

20. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    agreed, if they overcome their ego problems (and leave 'em in the locker room) they're a threat.

21. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    England will piss this tournament, especially if Shearer comes out of retirement. With the likes of Rooney, Owen, Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard and Campbell how can we fail ?

22. Big George

Big George New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Great White North
    No way to England

Sorry Rambler ...
    1st of all Shearer will not come out of retirement
    and England will lose QF to Postugal

Holland willl waltz over everyone

Gonna be an orange crush kind of tourney

23. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    uh?

Do you even remember England with Shearer?

24. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Re: No way to England

Holland ? Don't be silly. You are lucky to even be there. England would destroy Holland, but we will not meet as you have no chance of progressing beyond the group stage. A 6-0 win over Scotland stands for nothing. Scotland are third rate now.

And Prenn, of course I remember Shearer. I remember Hately and Tony Woodcock for crying out loud. Shearer packed in international way too soon. Big mistake, and one I imagine he will regret.

25. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Re: Re: No way to England

That's not a reasonable argument, Denmark or Czech Rep anyone?