Who will stop Liverpool in the EPL 2002-03?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by astar24, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Ruud van Nistelrooy New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Did you not see Wes Brown performances near the end of the premiership last season? Brown is a hugely exciting prospect imho. imho Brown will be the best right back in Englands arsenal in a few years, he's gonna get the experiance and the training...

Silvestre as a Defending defender isn't exactly ************ hot granted but he a great attacking defender, he's always up field hammering in the crosses and running at other defenses. I do like Silvestre but i wouldn't mind seeing him replaced with say, Bouma or roberto Carlos or someone, imho Silvestre is a solid defender but he's neither outstanding nor crap. As for the acid test its pretty much impossible to say. I'm much the same opinion of Phil but he can put in his bad performances. If Phil moves it'd be pretty good because Ferguson would replace him with someone better.

Our defense hasn't changed much since the glory days, we still need a Stam replacement and thats Rio Ferdinand, after the introduction of Ferdinand i think the entire defense will benefit, and even if we do have all these shite players we'll have a better defense. Its not like Silvestre and the nevilles are brand new additions to the club, they were there and playing last time we were kicking ass.

I actually think the defensive weakness we have to not only Blanc but Barthez, i for one am sick of his ************ ups. He's a quality keeper and on his day is probably one of the best, but his naff ups cost us games, look at the 3 - 1 loss to the Arse. I think the club would benefit from replacing him as well

2. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Even allowing for the fact that he has been out for 9 months with a cruciate ligament injury, Wes Brown has been a “hugely exciting prospect” for about three years now. Wayne Bridge, Chris Riggot, Titus Bramble and Scott Parker have all done more to justify the accolades they receive - and none receive the level of hype that Brown gets courtesy of the Manchester United lapdog known as “the English Press”.
    Silvestre is pap. Deal with it. You can always tell that a defender is, basically speaking, shIt when people start focusing on their contribution at the other end of the field. What United need is a defender, not an overlapping second winger. The best midfield unit in the game can do without the additional services of Mickael Silvestre. The worst defence in last year’s Champions League needs more than the services of Mickael Silvestre.
    Rio Ferdinand will solve many many problems. But not all of them.

3. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Jun 29, 2002
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Well, the medievil times don't really count for me, i was talking about the previous decade, were Man Utd have basically dominated the premiership, and lets face it, these past 10 years are more important than back in the 1930's or something (whenever Liverpool won the premiership a few times, can't be arsed looking it up). I mean, Preston won the premiership a few times in the early 20th century but no one really cares that much do they. Indeed, your club is more successful over a huge time period, so please stop with the whole ''I hate Man Utd because they win a lot of stuff'' kind of thing, because of course liverpool have won more stuff than they have.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :rolleyes:

Dearie me ... are you seriously admitting that football beyond the plastic fantastic period of the last decade is a mystery to you?

I don't hate Manchester United. How can you hate what you cannot take seriously? You and your plc will never inspire anything other than disdain in real football fans.

As to the historica dimension of football, remember this -

"Form is temporary. Class is permanent."

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Each year this becomes less and less true. Liverpool is still the greatest English club of all time, but Manchester United is rapidly catching up. It would be a shame if Liverpool would have to rely entirely on European Cups to make this argument, but it appears this will be the case in the very near future. Given Manchester United's massive wealth advantage, it's only a matter of time.

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, even allowing for the fact that that is hardly a burning issue, United still have all sorts of pots to win to catch up with us and that presumes we win none in the same period. I know you don't know the exact deficit, but if wealth were all that counted then United would always have been the most successful club in the UK - they were the wealthiest club in Britain for every one of the 26 years they failed to win the title too.

So, rubbish to that. Again.

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    They're only four championships behind and already ahead in FA Cups. I much prefer Liverpool to Manchester United, but facts are facts. Manchester United has made up tons of ground over the last decade and are within reach of being the best English club ever, unless you need to rely on European Cups. I wouldn't be surprised to see Manchester United catch up there as well, but it might take a very long time. Liverpool has a shot at holding that lead for many years.

Manchester United is now so much wealthier than Liverpool, and any other English club, that they are very likely to be the top English club over the long run. I'd be thrilled if it doesn't work out that way, but I wouldn't bet against it. The differences are substantial.

8. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Liverpool and Arsenal both having new stadiums on the board, this might not be the sure thing you make it.

Also, Liverpool simply goes about it different-they don't exploit their "brand" the way Manchester United do. They certainly have the history and following to do so.

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I hope Liverpool can catch up financially, but they are very far behind. Put it this way, if you take Manchester United's revenues EXCLUDING all ticket sales, they still beat any other EPL club.

The unfortunate fact is that Manchester United has pretty much caught up with Liverpool all-time. Liverpool supporters need to change their argument from "much better historically" to, at best, "a little better."

I admire Liverpool very much. I think they are a class organization and should be praised for staying so competitive.

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "Only" four championships"? "Unless" you count European Cups (the highest achievement in club football, anywhere, ever ... )?

Well, like I say, it's hardly a burning issue, but if you seriously believe that Manchester United will outstrip Liverpool's future title potential by four trophies to every one then you know even less about English football than I thought (thought possible, even).

Financial success guarantees you nothing. If tons of money (or, at least, tons of expenditure) guaranteed you trophies then Inter Milan would have more trophies than they would know what to do with.

And as I also said, Manchester United have always been the richest club in Britain. They have always been BY FAR the richest club in Britain, even. But that has not always equalled success. Indeed, more often than not, it has equalled sod all.

To follow your argument through to it's logical conclusion, the reason Manchester United overtook Liverpool as the pre-eminent force in English football in 1993 was that they simply had more money than us. Not, as was actually the case, that they finally got the blend right, that they finally got that magic formula by which individual talents on and off the field click into place and form one all-conquering whole. And that they did this at precisely the same time that Liverpool, after two unrivalled decades, lost that self-same thing.

You can't buy that formula. You have to concoct it. And if you look at United now and Liverpool now, there are two equally astute alchemists at work, using a series of components that, combined are representative of equal potential.

11. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Jun 29, 2002
    Bielefeld, Germany
    I like football but that doesn't mean i can be arsed finding out who won what 70 years ago or something. The past is the past and well to liverpool for being so great, but the fact remains since i've started liking football man utd have been winning a lot of stuff, in fact a reason i got into football was man utd.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah. Just checking.

13. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    People shouldn't mix money with success on the field all the time. Look at Barcelona over the years. A 115,000 capacity stadium with big name stars unmatched anywhere in the world and they still can't boast more titles in the European Cup than Red Star Belgrade or Steaua Bucharest.

Who says Man Utd will continue to win when Sir Alex one day steps down and retires? How will they cope with a new man in charge after almost 20 years with the same manager? How many promosing youngsters have they produced there since the Beckham generation? Did last season's performances indicate more success this year?

Football is an unpredictable game. Just ask AC Milan what happened in the mid-90s when success suddenly dried up after dominating for a long time. In 1994 when they outplayed Barcelona in the European Cup final people talked about total domination. They had 7-8 successful seasons behind them and looked destined to conquer everything and be unbeatable for many years more. A couple of years later, there was nothing left.

You can't plan to far ahead in this game and predictions that say United will overtake Liverpool's all-time hegemony within a given number of years are worth squat.

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Obvious, isn't it ...

15. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Jun 29, 2002
    Bielefeld, Germany

Please, look at man utd's squad - how many of our best players haven't been bought for 20 odd million, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, keane, butt, solskjaer, irwin.... I mean, of course we have Veron and Nistelrooy now but shedloads of our players we've had for ages and didn't cost millions. Our best players are probably the ones who have been in the squad for years and years, our world class midfield is not Veron, its Keane, Giggs, Scholes and Beckham - they've been with us for years, and with the exception of Keane maybe, we've trained them to be the best

I think a club that counts coming third in the premiership as a major, major, major loss and disgrace can't be said to be a naff, unsuccessful club.

and if indeed money does not mean success, then why do you believe man utd are better than Liverpool because of nothing more than money?

16. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Jun 29, 2002
    Bielefeld, Germany

But then saying Liverpool will be the most successful club in football for the next 20 years because they bought Diouf is a bit risky as well isn't it

17. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Erm … you need to read my post again.

18. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Jun 29, 2002
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Can't be arsed arguing anymore since you don't seem to have much of a response to my statement

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sigh ...

OK then - you misunderstood my point. A quick re-read would have made that obvious.

My assertion was that Manchester United have not enjoyed success because of their money, but rather because they have enjoyed the fruits of an outstanding generation of players, all developed by their youth set-up. The wider point being that money alone does not guarantee success - you need good players, good coaches, a good manager and the luck to see all those things combine to maximum effect.

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Manchester United supporter, I would like to state:

A few years ago we could only dream of ever matching the success that Liverpool has enjoyed over the years. They are a strong club today and will prove a major obstacle to our effort to match their League Championships record. However; I think that we are getting closer to this goal every day, and I would like to think that maybe we could even get 1 or 2 more European Cups out of our current squad, and maybe in another 5-8 years we could rebuild for another run at overtaking Liverpool in that too. I don't discount Liverpool as a force in any game or competition simply because of their defense and St. Michael. Whereas, I 'm sure that even the most ardent "Manyoo haters" out there aren't thrilled with having to contend with us either. Even last season when our defense, at times, resembled a sieve, we still managed a favorable goal difference. As I stated in a previous message, I think if we get Ferdinand and another Quality Defender, I see us winning the League, making a better run at the FA Cup, and maybe a Champions League Finals appearance. I see Arsenal and Liverpool close on our heels in second and third, with Newcastle and Chelsea (and maybe Leeds) fighting for the last Champs League spot.

21. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sorry to interupt this discussion but what impact do you think Damian Duff would have were he to sign for Liverpool??

22. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'd be closer to equaling Arsenal's talent rather than Manchester United's. There used to be a "gap" between Manchester United and Arsenal, but it's so small now, you can't really call it that anymore.

23. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    I think it won't be Liverpool's year. THey aren't good enough. It would be arsenal's, but their french players will probably be out of form. Manchester United, i think, unfortunately will take it, if they stay free of injuries. I think Liverpool wll get second and Leeds won't do anything again and Rio will move at the end of the season.

24. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I honestly believe that if Liverpool sign Bowyer and Duff they will be difficult to stop this season. These two players, along with Diouf and Diao, will add an attacking dimension that has been lacking before...

25. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Precisely, Matt. Anyone who follows Liverpool closely knows that the midfield is the key. Even after watching a fair amount of Le Championnat on FSW last season, I never got to see Cheyrou play. If, however, he is as good as everyone says he is, that could provide a nice boost. Gerrard needs to be more consistent. When he is at his best, there is a creativity present in midfield that is difficult to stop. And Bowyer would provide some strength if his transfer comes through.

All that being said, Man U will still be tough to beat, especially if Rio comes into the side. Perhaps Barthez will commit more clown-like gaffes and make things difficult for the Red Devils.