Who will return next yr?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Sccrlvr27, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Sccrlvr27

Sccrlvr27 New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    What players are returning next year?
    Which ones have definate contracts and which ones are likely to stay? who are we trading? Who are we throwing to the streets?

Reply if kno for sure or even if u just have a prediction.

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Mathis
    Juskowiak
    Forchetti
    Galvan
    Moreno
    Bartolomeau

All have expiring contracts or are due back on loan. Mathis and Moreno alone can free up 1/2 Million. To get other decent players. I dont think anyone would be traded(unless there are good offers) Because they are all good role players and making very little money. Theres no need really to get rid of them since we have both cap room and roster slots. The main thing to do next year is get 3 or 4 quality players to accompany these role players. If we had another Guevera type player in the midfield and a solid striker up top we wouldve done so much more.

3. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I really think the question for this team is who isn't going to return.

The Metros don't have a 1st or (I believe) 2nd round draft pick this year, so there's no spots that are going to necessarily be occupied by rookies. I would be surprised if some didn't stick, but it won't be like this year.

Furthermore, the team doesn't have a lot of trade capital; who on this team would 1. you want to trade and 2. anyone want to acquire?

Honestly, the only possibilities I can think of are Digiamarino, Edgar, Williams, and Ziadie, and I don't think any of them is going to bring much more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Furthermore, the metros won't be getting an allocation, as far as I can tell, so their player acquisitions will either have to be discovery picks, weighted lotteries, or whatever else MLS chooses to cook up for the Metros. The team already has two SI's in Guevara and Edgar; perhaps Bradley could bring in a difference maker as the third, but I'd expect, instead, some promising young transitional internationals (hopefully better than Forchetti and Galvan).

I would imagine that:
    Addo
    Galvan
    Forchetti
    Juskowiak
    Mathis
    Moreno

would be leaving, but, honestly, I'm not sure where Bradley's going to find the talent to fill these positions. The team definitely needs a strong forward to partner with Magee.

4. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    We do not need a forward to partner with Magee. If Mathis leave, we need 2 forwards. One very very good one, and a good forward. Magee in my opinion is a great third option. Someone who can play many minutes when needed, and provide a spark. He is not a starting forward yet though. He needs to work on his finishing skills, and his heading skills, the two weakest parts of his game in my opinion (he is very good at getting open, and being at the right place at the right time). He was very much a non-factor today.

The place where we need the most help is in the midfield. Gueverra is a very good player. I love the way he plays, but right now he is not doing a very good job at connecting everybody. He needs a help in the midfield. We need a two-way player, and for me at least, that is who we have to go for the most.

Our defense is good, but if you are going with a three-back system, you need a third player to fill that spot. We don't have that right now, and we need to find someone quick.

The season would have been greatly different if Moreno was healthy and just average this year. He wasn't, and he's gone now.

The two players that need to be kicked out are the Argies. I can't believe we payed Boca to have them on our team. Addo should also get out of here, as should Ziade, who started off so promising, and has now completely fallen off.

5. BobtheMetroStars12thman

Nov 18, 1998
    I will only post who I think Metros should definitely keep for next year:

Jonny Walker
    Eddie Pope
    Steve Jolley
    Ricardo Clark
    Mike Magee
    Amado Guevarra
    Eddie Gaven
    Mark Lisi

These players are definite keepers and should only be traded if there's a great deal to be had. Everyone else is expendable.

6. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Agreed.
    But remember, in a few recent articles Bradley has said that he wants Mathis to stay.
    from http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1068445972314340.xml
    I think he's suffering from MOF personally.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Addo
    Galvan
    Forchetti
    Juskowiak
    Moreno
    Williams
    Bartolomeu
    Arena should be send down to a A-League team, to get more playing time

still a small chance Mathis could be signed for next season by the MLS

8. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    these r the guys i want too...a lot of the scrubs i dont care if they stay or go since we'll only get different scrubs to replace them anyway.
    i hope Mathis leaves, i like him but i want him to leave. kinda like a Good-Will Hunting type thing.

9. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    i think the fact that bob left edgar and jusko home is a pretty sure sign he does not want them back...maybe its not so telling for a young player like regan who bob seems to want to like...i think everyone here knows jusko was just a plug-in player since we had the chance to bring someone in last minute, but im actually of the opinion that edgar would've been perfect as a sub yesterday, he's really been strong on the left wing for us on the attack, it's his defense that isnt up to par...unfortunately for him, im not sure we should tie up a useful SI spot on him...but if we manage to be near the cap and have an SI spot, im not sure i'd mind edgar coming back and getting him to focus a little more on defense...he's like a poor man's DMB if you ask me

10. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    So much depends on what happens with Clint. But even if he stays, we will still have a lot of cap room to work with.

The draft this year looks quite shallow. Bob was very smart to do all our drafting for this year, last year.

The big question is whether we go to a 3-5-2 or stay with the 4-4-2. Seeing Bob's tactics these past 2 weeks, the 3-5-2 is looking more and more likely. The big questions then are where does Clark play, what happens with Pope/Jolley in a 3-5-2, and do you need another d-mid if Williams goes?

It's going to be a busy off-season. But we're very well-positioned to make some major moves without disrupting the core of the team. We've got tons of cap room and a lot of options in moving players. And although its hard to remember, we weren't that bad this year.

11. Zealot

Zealot New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    How poor is this poor man?

12. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I will keep Nunget too.