Who will our next sponsor be ?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Jan 16, 2020.

1. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair - but I guess I'm not thinking of TV commercials as much as putting their name on buildings or, in this case, jerseys. I can see Wendy's buying space on digital signage or the like, but don't think they'll rise to the presenting sponsor level that we're discussing.

I'm as much of a fanboy as anyone else here for the Central Ohio corporate environment, but I don't see it being a local sponsor this time around. For mainly for logistical reasons rather than financial.

This. Well said.

And, for the record, I hadn't given thought to a jersey sponsor reveal being hamstrung by the league-wide jersey launch. That's a really good point. I've officially taken a step back from my fear that we won't have a jersey sponsor in 2020. I'm now at 50/50.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @LaMacchia, you wanted to know my opinion?

I don't really care who the jersey sponsor is and it's not an embarrassment to not have one on the shirt.

This fanbase is still experiencing PTSD from former ownership, 25 years of it, being cheap asses.

We are building a new stadium, spending record (for us) cash on players. I know inroads are being made with the business community but things don't change overnight.

For everyone to get their panties in a bunch over wanting the team to get a sponsor is a bit much.

As is taking every opportunity to shit on everything you are supposed to love. Be critical when warranted but to be 100% negative just isn't how I'm wired.

Let me say this. If the eventual logo on the shirt is a smaller but local company, there are people that will say we settled, probably didn't get enough and that it's a testament to the market.

If we get a huge deal there will still be people that say something negative, that we couldn't get a local company, yada yada yada.

You think Hang is a smart guy, maybe he is, but I don't surround myself with people that just want to watch the world burn at every opportunity and then use a sarcastic hashtag.

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good points, though I don't one hundred percent agree with all of them. I appreciate you taking the time to humor me.

To clarify: I view the shirt sponsor as a status symbol. It may not be vital, or even necessary, to the franchise's financial health but having it makes the franchise look good. Look healthy, relevant, exciting. It shows everyone who's looking that people - companies! - want to be associated with the business. To not have that indicator speaks volumes, though maybe not loudly. People notice these things, potential players notice these things, fans notice (I don't want to buy that shirt, it doesn't have a logo on it), and other businesses notice - especially other potential sponsors.

So, sure, it's not vital to have a cheesy corporate logo on the front of the jersey, but in today's soccer economy it's expected. And if our franchise isn't doing what's expected people will notice. Doubly so for Columbus, sadly, because of what we've just come through.

All that said: My panties aren't in a bunch. I paid off my season tickets this week and even added a parking pass. I'm looking forward to grabbing some new merch at the stadium ahead of Crewsmas, and - most of all - I'm anxiously excited to see what CB9k does on the field this year. Sports is supposed to be fun, and I'm having a blast.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am all for conversation.

Meh. People don't buy shirts because of the logo. "I think I'm going to buy a Shitcago shirt because of that awesome corporate logo!" I don't think that happens much, if at all. I would actually be more inclined to not but one if it's a shitty logo, like maybe Value City Furniture.

I don't really care what others think. And, I would add, that because of what we just went through, it's pretty clear some business, political and other power players wanted us to stay. That says more to me than putting the WC logo on our shirt.

I'll buy you a beer if I recognize you at the stadium. I think @kgilbert78 is the only other BS poster I have recognized on my own, a few were introduced to me by @Draghignazzo.

Draghignazzo and Salacious Bum repped this.
  5. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if I recognize you, and put a beer in your hand, first!

Or even in the lot before or after a match.

stanger repped this.
  6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have often wondered if having Bimbo as their shirt sponsor has affected sales of Philly jerseys. (I think I’d be more inclined to buy other Philly gear and not a jersey.)

stanger repped this.
  7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have often wondered if having Bimbo as their shirt sponsor has affected sales of Philly jerseys. (I think I’d be more inclined to buy other Philly gear and not a jersey.)

8. djtrinidad

djtrinidad Member

May 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The guys at soccer plus over in Westerville did say when the Sounders were sponsored by XBox they sold a ton of their shirts here- to people that didn’t even care about the team. It does sound crazy, but some sponsors do move the needle.

TrueCrew, Tobias C, Minnman and 2 others repped this.
  9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally pulled the trigger on one (been trying to get a gamer from each team) when there was a decent deal on ebay (former player selling of his stuff). But ...

10. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they really want to sell some shirts, just slap a Wu Tang Clan logo on it.

Or donate the shirt space to charity. 1-877-KARS-FOR-KIDS is always looking to get their name out there.

Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  11. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I certainly think it matters to a portion. I would not touch any Glidden jersey. Hated it. Plus I worked for PPG. The Logo itself is part of the overall design like it or not. I thought Acura and associated jerseys were some of the best ever. Brew dog with all the talk of buying part of the team (maybe that was BS) would be a well appreciated Logo based on soccer fandom. Fun and relative sponsorship and hits a note with the fan base would certainly give jerseys a boost in sales. I just don't see how the Name and Font of a sponsor can be overlooked as part of the overall design of the jersey.

TRUJDUB, Minnman, TKyle and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Indy83

Indy83 Red Card

Red star belgrade
    Russia
    Jul 4, 2019
    If it came down to it I think the Haslems would put their gas station logo on the Jersey before there was no sponsor.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Pumas vs Santos and DHL is jersey sponsor for Pumas. They were also Manchester United practice jersey sponsor (which Man U bought out the contract early) coincidentally replaced by my employer (Booo I'm a Chelsea supporter). They had paid £40m back 2011. I saw them on rugby jersey this weekend too. So maybe they would be a good candidate. [emoji1696]

14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I have a long-sleeved version of this (a prized possession):

https://images.app.goo.gl/F8hodzbqCGAPDsLx5

15. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably an uncommon example, but I've bought a jersey before and the sole reason was the sponsor.... and it was because I'm employed by the sponsor. I could care less for that team itself. I'm also proud of where I work though. I've seen other people at my work with similar jerseys who after talking to them, came to find out they were extremely casual soccer fans or not even really fans at all. Just wanted the shirt.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A buddy of mine here in Columbus (who is a soccer fan) got an Atlanta shirt for that same reason

Tobias C repped this.
  17. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point in time, with events in China, Corona wouldn’t be a good look.

18. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Might drive up the price , Corona isn’t going anywhere but your concern is valid

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "what goes with Corona virus?"
    "lyme disease"

Draghignazzo, puttputtfc, TKyle and 3 others repped this.
  20. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I just got over the coronavirus. But now I have the dosxxvirus.

CybrSlydr and TKyle repped this.
  21. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Moving this to an appropriate thread)

Not to bang too loudly or repeatedly on this drum, but if Alex Fisher can do it with one phone call to Acura, why can't Steve Lyons do it through the normal wine-and-dine process with any of the other Fortune 100 companies in town?

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, presumably, he is.

23. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to assume that he is, but by all accounts - be it social media, traditional media, our inside man, and the general Applebee's Waitress population - no progress has been made.

24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you assuming Lyons hasn't? Word is they are in discussions with a local company. Just because it isn't happening on our timeline, doesn't mean they aren't working hard on it and making positive progress. Hopefully it gets done before season starts. If it doesn't, they world wont end and out team will still take the field.

Let me ask this.... Would you rather they score a very lucrative stadium naming rights deal for next year, or a jersey sponsor for this year? They need both. If you have a company at the door with a bag of cash which one is more important?

25. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have rather they released a stellar looking new jersey that fans all over social media were raving about. Then Lyons has a face to face luncheon at the Capital Club today and he's got his MacBook loaded up with a presentation of the glowing reaction to the new kit and a mock-up of how great it looks with their name on it. Sadly, that can't happen.