Who will our next sponsor be ?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems to be the big to-do on Feb 5:

Whatever. My guess is that the big "news" coming out of this is how bland many of the designs are, how lacking they are in providing any kind of unique identities for the league's clubs.

Somehow, I think the Crew will survive the embarrassment of not having a jersey sponsor at NY Fashion Week. If this is even noticed by anyone - and I doubt it will be - Miami's more likely to be the club called out for it. Then again, if they have the government of Qatar on their shirt by Feb. 5, they might get more heat than if it was blank.

No one outside of a very small group of MLS fans will pay any attention to this event.

TRUJDUB and Salacious Bum repped this.
  2. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding? Canadian R&B duo Majid Jordan will be there. Who can keep themselves away from paying attention with that kind of drawing power?

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the actor from the Jumanji reboots!

4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this guy, who is apparently pretty good at a different sport
    [​IMG]

I can't wait!

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the most halfassed collection of star power imaginable. Its pathetic. Its embarrassing as hell.

What, was Paris Hilton busy? Carrot Top had a previous engagement? Brent Spiner having warts removed?

MLS is so small time apparently that they need to bring in b list celebs to provide star power.

Wow.

TRUJDUB and Salacious Bum repped this.
  6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard he is still being cool hanging out with Patrick Stewart.

Bill Archer and LaMacchia repped this.
  7. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Does anyone think Brew Dog could afford to be our sponsor?

i think Budweiser with the crown logo would look sweet

Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  8. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Corona would also look good

9. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Afford? most definitely. Willing to spend it? Absolutely not without a crowdfunding aspect and as little of the owner's coin as possible. I like the Brewdog spots around town and most of their beers. But until they show a little less self-serving attitude, I'm not going to consider them a stalwart of the community that they try to portray themselves as.

Kryptonite and LaMacchia repped this.
  10. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would look good on a red jersey.

Too soon?

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have a modest partnership with the Blue Jackets:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...3/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Blue-Jackets.aspx

And they seem to have done some other, smallish sponsorship deals (like with Tough Mudder). But to date, they don't appear to have gotten into this level of sponsorship.

This does seem like a good potential match for a company that is rapidly expanding its distribution footprint across the US. I just don't know if this kind of sponsorship is out of their league right now. The Crew having so few national TV appearances doesn't help our case in attracting any jersey sponsor, I wouldn't think.

12. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could change the team colors to fit each jersey sponsor.

TRUJDUB and LaMacchia repped this.
  13. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    New sponsor? Crayola.

TRUJDUB, kgilbert78 and LaMacchia repped this.
  14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that is a genius revenue-generation idea!

TRUJDUB repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the old Wiz jerseys would have worked for that...

TKyle, QuarkspaceDotCom and Kryptonite repped this.
  16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...especially after their whole STC debacle.

17. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a team standpoint, i don't think it's "important" as has been debated to have a sponsor on our Jersey reveal next week.

But from an advertising point of view, I would think that would be a HUGE bonus for the eventual sponsor. Maybe I'm obtuse in thinking that. But if sides are close on $$, then why wouldn't the sponsor want the added publicity of being seen by however many people on Day 1 of the new jersey?

catfish9 repped this.
  18. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Lol

19. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a link to the all the members of the Columbus Partnership (and their logos...for easy jersey consideration). I'm guessing with Steve Lyons on board theres a pretty major chance that weve been talking to these people.

https://www.columbuspartnership.com/members/

catfish9 repped this.
  20. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On that list I count approx 22+/- who have superior financial clout to do sponsorship. I can easily remove 5-10 just because there would be little business justification for them to put name on soccer jerseys. But like the Barbosol deal there might a few others not on the list that might stretch their budget to do something cool with branding and appeal to basic consumer.

Tobias C repped this.
  21. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On that list, I look at 14 potentially serious contenders:
    1. Nationwide Insurance (or one of their companies)
    2. Cardinal Health
    3. Abbott
    4. Grange Insurance
    5. JP Morgan & Chase
    6. AT&T
    7. Scott's
    8. White Castle
    9. Key Bank
    10. NetJets
    11. PWC
    12. KPMG
    13. Honda
    14. M/I Homes
    Insurance Companies:
    Nationwide or Grange. But, Allstate is already a league sponsor. How would that work? Plus you know.... MAPFRE Stadium.

Banking:
    JPMC already has several large $$ sports sponsorships. Key Bank is from Cleveland. Hmmm.... Do they have the capital necessary?

It's not really the right demographic for NetJets is it?

Honda? Maybe. But they would know more than anyone if the Acura deal was beneficial.

M/I Homes has a fairly large footprint with representation here in Columbus, but also Cincy, Detroit, Indy, Chicago, the Carolinas, Florida, and Texas. Ardent Communities is a team sponsor according to the club's website.

Cardinal Health is a LARGE company with a lot of resources. But is there a marketing gain for them? Who would they be marketing to in MLS?

Scott's could be a potential opportunity. They're in EVERY market nationwide. They are already a team sponsor though. Could they be upping their commitment?

AT&T is already a league sponsor. I guess it's conceivable they would roll back their league deal to a shirt deal, but I can't see that being truly feasible.

White Castle seems to make some sense from a national footprint, proximity, and relationship standpoint. Their new campus is within viewing distance of the new stadium. They are located nationally. It would raise their brand awareness. They've been past sponsors before.

PWC and KPMG I liken this to Cardinal or NetJets. Is this really the right deal for them? How much more brand awareness will they receive by being a jersey sponsor?

I would love for it to be Nationwide frankly. I would also love it to be Wendy's. I would also love it to be whoever was willing to get into the deal with us openly and willingly, both feet first.

22. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take PWC and KPMG off that list. No chance. those are just local offices of those firms who would have no interest in affiliating Crew or Soccer for that matter.

I don't see the super large banks - JP Morgan, Key, 5/3 doing it. Maybe a Huntington bank as they are growing their footprint. But haven't seen banks get into soccer space.

I believe Abbott shut down their sports nutrition business - EAS. They were training grounds/jersey sponsor thathad me excited might grow into something bigger but didn't. If it were them, it would be one of their brands. And they aren't really Columbus based anyway.

AT&T? C'mon no chance on our jersey's. they'd be more of a league sponsor anyway.

Doubtful Honda after they seemed to show no interest in extending Acura.

A good one might be Root Insurance. They are growing like mad and appeal to the basic consumer. I just don't know if their Private Equity investors would support them spending that amt of cash on a jersey deal.

23. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abercrombie & Fitch

Schottenstein/Value City

Vertiv

AEP

Huntington Bancshares

Safelite

DSW

Worthington Industries

Battelle

Riverside Methodist Hospital

Ohio Health

Tobias C and TKyle repped this.
  24. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  25. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't expect any of the retailers to jump on board as literally none of them are doing well financially.

Riverside Methodist is Ohio Health.

No chance on Worthington as McConnell owns Blue jackets so you can guess where their funds go.

You see how easy it is to wittle down to literally less than 10 truly viable candidates. We need a unicorn and we really only have two in Columbus - Covermymeds and Root.

Bill Archer repped this.