Who will hos the 2011 Rugby World Cup?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by Hachiko, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vote, and let's hear it!

My choice is Japan, just because it's time for the IRB to have a change of scenery.

2. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I'd like Japan, but I think it will be NZ.

Does Japan have enough rugby stadia ?

3. Euskadi

Euskadi New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    How about the stadiums that were used to co-host the last soccer World Cup?

4. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't know if they can be configured for rugby, or if they are owned by soccer clubs who may not release them.

5. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they can, as long as the pitch dimensions are IRB-acceptable. And there are probably a lotta other rugby-only stadiums in Japan...

Hanazono Stadium is a very good pitch....as is...

[​IMG]
    Nagai Ball Gall Field

Add the fact that Japan has a very good financial foundation, with numerous advertsing opportunities, and the IRB may have a winner in Japan. Don't be surprised if after Japan wins the bid, their rugby side is as strong as maybe, I don't know....Argentina...(they might even get the best of USA and Canada, too)

6. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    It's Japan and there should really be no debate. First off, New Zealand's bid is not really to be taken seriously, despite their desperation to host the WC again. They won't be able to handle it. Their stadia are far too small, and they will be unable to handle the traveling fans. They're having a hard enough time as it is. Imagine adding the French, the Australians and probably some Japanese and it'd be very difficult.

South Africa is a legitimate bid, but Japan really has it all.

Japan is a great country. It's more than capable of handling the WC on infrastructure and capacity - 50,000 fans descending into Tokyo? Not a problem. The stadia are fantastic. They have sizable rugby-first stadia, such as Chichibunomiya, Hakata no mori and Kintetsu Hanazano stadium. Add to that the World Cup football grounds (and all of them are easily of the size to handle rugby) and Japan has the facilities.

The only question really is the enthusiasm by the fans. Well, rugby in Japan is actually quite popular, and furthermore, the World Cup got a turnout by Japanese fans far in excess of the popularity of football.

It's Japan. It has to be.

7. the_baron

the_baron New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    County Tyrone
    Maybe the 'Beckham Brigade' in Japan will idolise Wilko! :D

8. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    More like Gavin Henson, Lord Jonny isn't the biggest rugby star in Britain anymore.