Pre-match: Who will benefit from the Euro expansion?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by SamKyon, Nov 4, 2011.

1. SamKyon

SamKyon New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I was thinking about how Euro 2016 will have 24 teams, 5 teams will qualify by finishing third in the group.

I would expect Scotland, Northern Ireland and with their current form Wales would probably see this and think it must be their chance to finally get to the finals. Scotland haven't qualified since 96 and the others never have.

But with football teams in other usually weak parts of Europe growing I wonder if this will be the case.

The baltics have a more recent qualifier with Latvia's qualification for Euro 2004 and Estonia currently in the playoffs. Lithuania are no slouches either and have shared the same pot as Scotland and Northern Ireland recently, it would be fair to say they're probably at the same level.

Caucasus nations (Is that the right term?) are growing too. Armenia came close to the playoffs, Azerbaijan have been improving and Georgia can't be written off either.

Iceland and Finland have struggled recently but maybe they can cause an upset. Norway have been consistently nearly men so much they earned a seed for 2014 qualifying ahead of teams that have qualified for recent tournaments. It would be unlikely for them to fail with the new system.

I know it's a bit early but I think we can still speculate. Basically will the British nations benefit or will other parts of Europe that rarely or never produce qualifiers get there instead.