Who will be there next year for the Olympics? 18 Field 2 Keeper

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Mainer5, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    Who do you think will be on the team next year for the Olympics?

K: Solo, ?

D: Krieger, Klingenberg, Johnson, Sauerbrunn, Engen, Chalupny

MF: Brian, Heath, Holiday, Lloyd, O'hara, ,Rampinoe

F: Rodriquez, Press, Morgan, O'Rilley

Leaving two openings,

Thoughts?

2. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo will be there if she wants to be, unless she has more personal scandals. She is far from old for a keeper.

I like your typo, "Rampinoe." As if Rampone and Rapinoe had a child. That would be a helluva soccer player.

Semblance17 and Plxix repped this.
  3. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jill Ellis helped us out during the 3 star ceremony as she congratulated the players with their jerseys: Holiday, Boxx are definitely not coming back.

4. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    You sure? Holiday is only 30. Plus, we need a 2nd DM in case Brian is hurt.

5. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Olympic rosters are only 18 - 16 field players, 2 keepers.

6. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Holiday's husband earns a good living.

7. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Holiday's husband earns a good living.[/QUOTE]

If $10 million per year is a "good living" , what do you call being rich? :)

8. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    If $10 million per year is a "good living" , what do you call being rich? :)[/QUOTE]

$10.5 million / year. ;)

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • Tim Duncan losing $19M and shrugging it off :speechless:
    • Billionaires in China down 30% in one week :sick: and still richer than us
    • That poker dude in the $1m buy-in, all-in two aces vs. two aces ... lost to a flush on the flip turn river
    • Every person in BC Stadium, for having the time and money to be there :sneaky:
    • NASA, for sending New Horizons past Pluto tomorrow (Tue 07/07!!) -- and all of us who tag along
    • Anybody short Greek bonds :whistling:

Geneva repped this.
  10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If they decide to stay with this type of system (4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1) then they need to look at Dunn and Ohai. Both were built fr the attacking outside mid position in this system.

skybolt repped this.
  11. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    In all honesty, I'm really looking forward to seeing Carli play alongside Kealia in Houston in a couple of weeks. I bet Ohai will finish in the top 3 or 4 assist leaders after the season ends. With Lloyd pretty much having just as much pull as Wambach had (after her WC performance), her endorsement of Ohai may mean a lot to the coaching staff. Kealia is off to a good start with this praise of Lloyd on Twitter. :)

Kealia Ohai ‏@KealiaOhai 23h23 hours ago
    Carli. Lloyd. Is not human.

Semblance17 and Dundalk24 repped this.
  12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    F - Alex Morgan, Sydney Leroux, Christen Press, Lindsey Horan
    MF - Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe, Tobin Heath, Morgan Brian, Crystal Dunn, Danielle Colaprico
    D - Ali Krieger, Meghan Klingenberg, Julie Johnston, Becky Sauerbrunn, Kelley O'Hara, Whitney Engen
    GK - Hope Solo, Ashlyn Harris

Wambach retires, after realizing it's best that she goes out on top.
    Rampone and Boxx retire as well.
    O'Reilly doesn't make the roster of 18, and then retires.
    Horan pulls a stunner and gets selected over A-Rod.
    Holiday retires (there were rumors out there that this was her last WWC, and that she may retire soon)

Would love for them to fit Ohai on the roster as well.

13. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana
    it will be interesting to see if jj and brian get bumped up to positions they are just as, if not more, comfortable playing, especially if it rings true that holiday is done, lloyd continues to play a second striker role, and ellis continues with a true holding mid. brian as cm, maybe a box-to-box like bradley, and johnston beasting as a holding mid sounds great to me. but i imagine if ellis is interested in making jj a destroyer, she'll wait to do it after the olympics.
    press will continue learning lloyd's role, ready to regulary spell lloyd in second halves hereafter, then take over when she hangs em up in a couple years, not missing a beat. if press starts playing with anywhere near lloyd's toughness, she's gonna be a star. it's amazing that lloyd, who turns 33 next week, played every minute of the tournament. gonna have to start conserving her more now that we're post world cup.
    dunn and ohai possess the tools to be lethal weapons on the outside if they gain the necessary confidence, become sponges and develop chemistry with the current core. dont think i could put dunn or ohai in my projected olympic roster right now with rapinoe, heath and o'hara as locks and dunn playing forward for the spirit. needs to be moved to the wing stat. no way she's a forward for the national team. but even if one or neither play in the olympics, they will surely be called up right after.

14. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There's been rumblings before the tournament that she would be done after the WC and/or Olympics to focus on raising a family.

15. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    For the 2012 Olympics, there was only one person who made the squad who didn't make the 2011 WWC (Sydney Leroux). If next year follows the same pattern, I'd say Dunn

16. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My gut feeling is that their's going to be a lot of turnover. Go out on top after winning a World Cup to either have a kid or just step away for good.

17. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No room for turnover with the reduced size of the Olympic roster. If the old guard all leaves as expected that's it, what's left of this year's roster is next year's roster. Dunn perhaps pips someone for one of the spots but that's about it.

As I was thinking about those we'll be saying goodbye to a thought struck me: Christie Rampone is the only human being to ever walk the Earth to have won multiple World Cup and Olympic gold medals.

18. Lola92

Lola92 New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Holiday, Boxx, Rampone, and possibly Wambach will be out. If I had to take out a keeper it would be Naeher. That leaves exactly 18 players on the roster unless we get some injuries or pregnancies...lol. I don't see much changing where the roster is concerned. Should the roster change? Maybe, but I would like to see players who didn't get much minutes in the olympics front and center in the 10 WC victory games to see where I stand with them. I cannot judge someone who only played 10 minutes on whether they should stay on the roster or not.

19. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    There is very little financial incentive in women's soccer to hang around past your prime. Uh, there's acrually little financial incentive at any time, though I am glad to hear that players will do well on this victory tour.

20. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There are at least two others Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly.

kool-aide and kernel_thai repped this.
  21. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh right. 1991 is so long ago....

22. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just means I am old. :)

23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #23 FawcettFan14, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    I imagine it playing out like this:

G: Solo, Harris
    D: Krieger, Engen, Sauerbrunn, Klingenberg, O'Hara
    M: Lloyd, Johnston, Brian, Rapinoe, Ohai, Heath
    F: Morgan, Press, Leroux, Holiday, Dunn

Rampone, Wambach, Boxx retire. Chalupny and O'Reilly don't but are replaced by younger players. Naeher, as 3rd string GK, misses out.

Ohai and Dunn are the two new additions.

Engen and Sauerbrunn forge a new partnership, allowing Johnston to move up and add some grit to the midfield. She and Brian make a nice double pivot in center midfield, freeing Lloyd to do her thing.

Holiday returns to her roots and moves up into a target/playmaker role, laying off passes to the speedy strikers around her. One of them being Dunn. Having her on a small, 18-woman roster is so valuable as she can play anywhere. But this NWSL season has shown her value as a forward.

Versatility is an asset of this roster. If they play 4-4-2, they have some genuine wingers in Rapinoe, O'Hara, Ohai and Dunn. If they play 4-3-3, Ohai, Dunn, Press, Morgan, Rapinoe, Heath can all slot into the outside forward roles. Morgan, Press, Holiday, Leroux all comfortable as the central striker. Holiday and Lloyd can play as mids or pseudo forwards. Johnston obviously can play some stellar defense if called upon. Krieger can slide middle if need be and O'Hara/Dunn play right back.

It's a shame the IOC hasn't expanded to 16 teams and 20-player rosters by now. But as it is versatility is a must.

SiberianThunderT and Namdynamo repped this.
  24. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    May have to revise my previous post. In the three-star jersey presentation, Ellis tells Holiday "What a send-off for you my friend" as she hugs her. Hmmm. Maybe the rumors of her retirement are right then.

25. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    She's only 27

Semblance17 repped this.