Who will be the US's next captain?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by soccerfan220, Aug 16, 2002.

1. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the OBVIOUS first choice would be Donovan.

I would love to say Pope, but Eddie's not a VOCAL guy & a team captain SHOULD be vocal. Eddie's too laid back to be the USMNT's captain.

If not Donovan, how about Mastroeni?? A team captain MUST lead by example & IMHO Pablo is the perfect choice, based on that criteria. Pablo also looks like he is a VERY vocal player.

O'Brien would also be a great choice for captain, based on his composure & abilities. I might question whether of not, JOB is vocal enough to be captain.

Donovan, Mastroeni or JOB???

Either one of them would be a solid choice for USMNT captain. My personal choice, though, would be Mastroeni.

2. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    If we anticipate Reyna to be the captain for a couple more years, I think Donovan would be the best choice. He can be a vocal, inspirational leader on the field. And he can also keep his head when things could get tense or controversial. He might be a young captain at 23 or 24, but I think he could handle it.

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Reyna took the captaincy when he was 25, not too far off from where people are thinking Donovan would take it.

4. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    JOB ;)

...CIAO!
    ...The SurfDiva

5. kidgrifter

kidgrifter New Member

I would say JOB. I don't know if Pablo has the respect from other players that a captain needs.

6. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    I think JOB plays exactly like Reyna

7. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Pope. Only Pope.

This is so obvious, I am surprised any other name comes up.

US Soccer has to connect to African American youths.
    Pope's profesionalism, his superb play, his demostrated ability to organize and steady the back, where America is still most vulnerable, is all the reasons I need. Add in his natural appeal to all fans, and especially to African Americans, and Pope is the no brain pick for Captain when Reyna leaves.

8. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I LOVE Pope's ability & steadiness in the backline too, counterattack. And I know he's respected by the rest of the USMNT.

I just question his vocal leadership & his comfort level with that type of role.

IMHO a team captain MUST be vocal & I haven't seen Pope being comfortable with that responsibility, unfortunately.

9. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Even though he is not the best singer in the world, it has to be JOB.

I would love to see a ceremony where Reyna passes the armband to his replacement.

10. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm sorry, but I have not seen, or I guess heard, where Pope lacks vocal chords. As you well know, you can not play in the back and not be able to communicate. And you definetly can not play at his level without being able to speak up.

Also, JOB has numerous qualities, but Captain is as much a symbolic honor as it is a job. I think it is essential to growing soccer in the US to have our African American players in key roles. We need to make sure that our team is openly balanced with oportunities for everyone. I am hoping that more Asian Americans can find their way into the International pool. Bottom line, though, is our greatest potential lies in the talent that comes from the inner cities, which is heavily weighted with African Americans. Our model must remain the Brazilian team, where soccer is as much a social engine as it is a game. We need a National Team that is a brilliant mix of suburban and inner city kids, from all races and ethnic origins. That is the American team that will dominate and win numerous World Cups.

11. astabo0ty

astabo0ty New Member

Mar 25, 2002
    South Florida
    i hope its pablo :) he is best on the team.

12. SoccerPsycho

SoccerPsycho New Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Illinois, USA
    My Top 2:

1. Pablo Mastroeni - Stalwart defender, knows how to move upfield, can control his temper (ex. The Blanco - Mastroeni exchange in WC Quaterfinal)

2. Eddie Pope - Quality field man, team player

13. lablumpkin

lablumpkin New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I don't understand why the choice of a captain needs to touch on some kind of social consciousness. You are simply looking for the player that is the best leader for your team. To me, that involves not just on the field, but also things off the field, like dealing with the media. Maybe he would rise to the occasion, but Eddie Pope seems a little bit too reserved to be a vocal off the field leader. JOB looks like he would be comfortable in that role, both on and off the field. But others may emerge over the next couple years to be ready by the time Reyna finally does decide to retire from the Nats, which I doubt will happen until after the 2006 Cup.

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Captain is far more than an symbolic honor. Anyway at least it should be. Spare me the affirmative action argument for Pope to be a captain. I would have no problem with Pope as captain, although I think JOB is a far better candidate. But making Pope captain because he is black is preposterous.

Check out some of the U-17 pictures posted on other threads. seems to me there are quite a few African Americans in the national pool.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Kyle Martino cracks the first 11 by 2006 - and I think he very well might - then I suspect he'll be putting up a fight for the captaincy. In fact, I think he might be the Crew's captain next season, if his demonstrated on-field leadership has anything to do with it.

16. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    I thought Harkes had the job....

seriously, I'd go with JOB. He's everything Reyna was always supposed to be.

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is the USMNT captain chosen?

18. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually selected by the coach

19. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay thanks. Can't see that non-soccer related issues (such as Pope's ethnicity) will ever matter much, then (which is good, because the suggestion doesn't make much sense), because a coach would look primarily at how the choice of somebody as captain would affect the current members of the team and their play. World peace, player development and recruitment issues are too much to be loaded onto that decision, too.

What are the criteria Arena has (or appears to have) used in selecting his captains?
    2 way players?
    Tend force a game to be played their/his way?
    Clubhouse guys?
    ...?

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well considering Reyna was the only captain he chose for the Nats, I think the criteria he used was who is my best and most influential player? Who has the most experience and who is universally respected throughout the soccer world?

Most teams and countries usually pick the most recognized player, usually the best player, but not always, see brazil, italy, germany, the one who has the universal respect of his teammates, the fans, the opposition, the refs, etc. To me that player has to be JOB.

He has it all, skill, poise, respect of his teammates, fans and opponents.

21. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of which makes pretty good sense to me too.

22. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, how about Chris Armas? If healthy, he certainly should get the nod over Mastro or Pope and possibly JOB.

23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well its highly debateable that Chris will ever be a central figure for the team again. Not so much because of his injury, but Mastro would be passing him by at this point regardless. Remember he's 30 or about to turn very soon.

Other than that, he would be a very good captain. He certainly has the respect of his teammates and when on his game brings a real fighting spirit to the team.

24. RickDavis

RickDavis Member

Apr 18, 2002
    We should pick the captain based on race? Are you serious?

In any event, Pope seems too reserved. In fact, so does JOB at this point, though he may emerge over time.

I think Mathis could be an interesting choice. He was wearing the armband this weekend for the Stars.

25. kidgrifter

kidgrifter New Member

Re: Re: Who will be the US's next captain?

I think the last person the team needs is Mathis. Not so sure where his loyalty lies, with himself or with the team.