Who will be the first EPL manager to be sacked?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Arsenal_pwns_all, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    I disagree. I don't have much faith in his tactical or man management abilities, and consequently don't think Newcastle will achieve much this year either, but I think his transfer dealings so far have strenghened the team. Boumsong and Parker are both great signings. Emre would be another shrewd purchase if that happens. And Bellamy is a talented player but, assuming they get a half-decent replacement, the team could well be better off without him.

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    If Mensa or the newcastle board as they like to be known show there usual tact and skill they will back souness to the hilt all through the summer and let him spend £30million on players that fit into his plans for his side.............then 2 weeks sack him.

don't say that we won't do it cos they have done it THREE times already. :rolleyes:

3. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    What the ******** are talking about?

He guided your team into the Premiership. Under Souness Blackburn finished in sixth just a short time ago.

He managed Blackburn through four games last season. Four. The club were 1W-2T-1L under Souness. (And that included games with Arsenal and Man Utd.)

Now, I'm a NUFC fan and wasn't happy at all when the club hired Souness, but you're talking ********.

4. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Yep, I agree.

Fulham have lost Van der Sar. They are probably going to lose Boa Morte as well. Malbranque. Have they got anything else of value?

5. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Souness will be first to go with Newcastle dont get a good start.

6. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. He did all that. But he's also the mgr whose tactics and transactions put us in position to have to fight relegation the last 2 seasons. After finishing 6th 3 seasons ago, Dunne and Duff asked for transfers and the slide started. When you consider Bellamy and Robert as well, it indicates Souness has issues getting along with the mercurial personalities of some of his more talented players. I have no respect for him.

7. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California

8. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Dunne was probably upset because he wasn't playing, he probably believed his own hype.... Duff saw pound signs, and medals. Bellamy is a little ********. He always has been, and Robert is an idiot, no sorry, a lazy idiot with a mouth that doesn't stop.

9. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    The correct term, I believe, is "lazy French twat". At least that was the term used by the esteemed scholar Mel B,

10. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California

12. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I don't see Alex Furgson being sacked in the middle of the season. I can see him "stepping down" or even being "forced out" at the end of the season but I think the Man U fans and board will spare him the humiliation of a midseason sacking. There's not a lot of integrity in the game these days but after all he's done for that club, it would be a crime not to let him go out with dignity.

15. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My Predictions:

Logic would say that one of the promoted side clubs would sack their manager the first but I can't recall who was the first to be given the sack last season (was it Bobby Robson?). I do recall there were plenty of resignations but my bets would be:

1. Graeme Soueness - So much expectation at NUFC and although it looks as if Emre is coming from Inter (this isn't even confirmed yet), the squad still look like a shamble and won't overcome the level of mediocrity that has settled in this club for the past few seasons. It's a bold prediction when you pick a club that fired a manager last season, but this would be the #1 candidate for me.

Other candidates:
    Paul Jewell (Wigan) - If they struggle to find Premiership pace, he'll be gone despite his Premiership credentials with Bradford City.

Jose Mourinho (Chelsea) - If they can't reproduce the same kind of form, it wouldn't surprise me if he was given the boot...he wouldn't give a rat's ass mind you because that's how sure of himself he is.

16. soccerdude_200

soccerdude_200 New Member

Jul 3, 2005
  17. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    your logic is flawless. ;)

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Souness must be the favourite, but how about Curbishley? Charlton usually start brightly then fade, so sooner or later they're going to have a crap start, and if that happens I can see Curbishley being vulnerable. Ditto with Coleman.

19. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Charlton arn't daft enough to sack Curbs...he's brought them from no ground and a shite team to a solid premiership side

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    But then again maybe he would come here......CURBS OUT CURBS OUT! :D

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Loyalty is skin deep in this game.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    true. but a dash of common sense will have the powers-that-be at charlton well-aware of how quickly just a bit of instability can land a mid-size club in the coca-cola world with little prospect of getting back out.

even without loyalty, merit should keep curbs around the valley - even with a rough start.

23. LyndaleFC

LyndaleFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'd say Martin Jol.
    If Tottenham have a bad start to the season, which they most likely will, he will be the first too go. Just look at the last two seasons, Hoddle was sacked early on and Santini gave up.

24. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Spurs first 10 matches are severe, with only Charlton, Fulham, Portsmouth and Blackburn the teams in the middle to bottom of last season's table. But I think Jol will be given the chance to pick things up.

25. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Lets wait and see shall we?
    He will get the season, and if he has done nothing for us, then maybe you will be right.

However for the first time in a long time I see a manager who can be with Tottenham for more than a couple of season's. Santini was a joke, and IMO was pushed out for MJ; Arnescum wanted him as manager all along, but he and Levy knew that an unheard of manager would not have been greeted well by the board, or the faithful after enduring basically a season of David Pleat as a caretaker.

Hoddle is and will always be a Legend to the fans of Tottenham Hotspur. And all is forgotten about his unfortunate spell. Just to let you know lasted for basically 2.5 years. When he was fired in September of 2003, we had results of W- 1 D- 1 L - 4, coupled with the crap end of season results for year 02/03, which from January of 2003 Tottenham had won 5, drawn 3 and lost 9, the last game of the season Tottenham lost 0-4 to Blackburn at WHL and 5-1 at Boro the game before. So that is why Hoddle was sacked so soon in the 03/04 season. Levy must have made one of his toughest footballing decisions to fire a WHL legend. However from the results you can see why he did.

Martin Jol on the other hand took over in November of 2004, and has a record of winning 11 drawing 6 and Losing 9. Which basically put a new team on the cusp of a UEFA Cup place. There is alot of optimism for Tottenham under Jol, I personally see us doing well at the start of the season, which again is something for us all to see. Chelski, Liverpool and Man Utd will all be tough fixtures, but guess what we have to play them every season, so maybe this is our year to get some decent results against the big boys.