Who will be the first EPL manager to be sacked?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Arsenal_pwns_all, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Odds from ladbrokes

Chris Coleman 4/1 (don't understand why he is number one)
    Graeme Souness 9/2
    Alain Perrin 5/1
    Alan Pardew 5/1
    Alan Curbishley 8/1
    Sir Alex Ferguson 10/1 (Man U fans are going to hate this)
    Bryan Robson 12/1
    David O'Leary 12/1
    Martin Jol 14/1
    Mick McCarthy 16/1
    Paul Jewell 16/1
    Stuart Pearce 16/1
    Sam Allardyce 20/1
    Mark Hughes 25/1
    Steve Bruce 25/1
    Steve McLaren 33/1
    David Moyes 40/1
    Jose Mourinho 40/1
    Rafa Benitez 66/1
    Arsene Wenger 100/1

Who do you think will be the first manager to be sacked? Personally, I think Souness and Pardew are the most likely. Sourness because he, well, is destroying Newcastle and Pardew because no one likes him. Robson and Perrin are two other possible choices IMHO.

2. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Souness

3. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    Has to be Souness

4. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's make it unanimous then. Souness has flopped everywhere, and is currently showing off his lack of managerial talent at one of the most loved football clubs in the world. It took Hughes to keep Blackburn from relegation after being placed in that position by 3 years of Souness' mismanagement. He can't seem to get along with anybody.

5. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Normally you can say that there are 3 or 4 managers whose days are numbered at the start of the season, but i honestly cant see any of them being sacked. Even Souness should have a season to do his best. He was brought in to quieten the troops which he should have done by now, so he'll be judged on what happens from now, but I'd like to think that NUFC would give him a good run. Pardew wont be exected to perform too well initially, so Perrin might be the one IMO...

6. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see Souness at Hartlepool, but I think he's safe for the time being.

If Spurs don't make a decent show, I think Jol might be in for a bit of stick, and there might be local talk of sending him packing, but he deserves a full run, IMO.

Same with O'Leary at Villa. Not a lot of cash splashed, but it's time to get bus tickets for Europe, innit? So if Villa don't make a run at top 6, maybe Den gets the pink slip, yeah.

7. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    could it be because Fulham looked to be a club bound for Yerup, but now they've flogged off their keeper and look like a bottom third side?

8. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think Newcastle will sack Souness, they seem to like him:confused:

9. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    I'm gonna go with Ferguson because of the "change of management" at Man U!!

10. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Put money on Fergie!
    I thought the management said that he would be sacked if they don't get a trophy next year. And it's unlikely that they will of course.

11. Crestofthestars

Crestofthestars New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    yes but the odds are for FIRST manager to be sacked...unless you think no manager will be sacked during the course of the season. the only even small chance of Fergie being fired would be at the end of the season if United had not been in proper contention for the title.

Even then I seriously doubt it. They actually said he will be at the club for years no matter what happens. plus sacking him would be the final straw for many fans and would lead to serious serious picketing and protests. It would be suicide.

I'm another going for Souness although given the type of player Newcastle have enjoyed attracting in recent years I'd say the two were made for each other!

12. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    When I saw the list this is exactly what I thought.

That said, because there are always a few, Pardew at 5/1 looks a reasonable price, especially since half a dozen times last season I read he had one game to save is job.

13. NickSaints

NickSaints New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Southampton
    Gotta be Souness for me

14. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    I'll have a tenner each way on Bryan Robson, as he is almost a complete wanker, he still needs the finishing touches to be a Jose Moronho, but there won't be any miracles to save him this year :( and of course the big difference is, Moronho wins games!!!

15. Crestofthestars

Crestofthestars New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    what in god almighty's name are you blathering about?

16. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    This I trust, suggests you are not in agreement? Never mind eh, you'll learn, foolish one :rolleyes:

17. slidingtackleCOM

slidingtackleCOM New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    I will go with Robson, i think he is a good manager, however i do not think he will keep West Brom up again. Either that or Jewell or Souness.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, somebody's going to be occupying the bottom few rungs come december, and while that may not automatically get anyone the sack, it will certainly give us some candidates.

so while you're (perhaps, if we'll overlook souness) right about not being able to identify him (them), he's (they're) surely out there.

19. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    IMO Pardew is safe for the season, unless the Hammers are sitting in the bottom three until xmas, Which I hate to say is I doubt, they for me will cement their place this season.

For me the odds on fav has to be Souness, for him to already be saying things like "if I last out until next year, ive done well" suggests that Fat Freddie has been saying stuff in his ear.

For the person who said Jol, they obviously know nothing about Tottenham. He will be given time, full stop. I believe Levy has finally realised that sacking a coach every couple of years does not work. Look at a Wenger, fat sam or Sir Alex, even Curbs all managers with longevity. To be consistent takes time. Levy knows what he has in Jol, he is safe. Tottenham rant over :D

20. EvanhamFC

EvanhamFC New Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Good ol' Graeme Souness for sure. He's effectively dismantled everything Newcastle had built for itself over the years. Defo will get the boot.

21. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I'm sure they are, but I can't spot an automatic candidate. You have to look for a team that is underperforming, and no-one expects the 3 newly promoted teams to survive,Souness is probably safe for quite a while, Robson is living on last seasons glory, O'leary's got no money, and who wants to work for deadly doug ? Jol is the bright young thing at Spurs... So maybe Coleman or amazingly Curbishley, but Charlton always start well.... I think there'll be a sacking, but it could be a lot longer into the season than normal

22. John Boy

John Boy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Staffordshire

Surely everyone is still 'living' on last season given pre-season has only just begun?

23. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting odds on Coleman, in these situations the bookies are usually right. Al Fayed as chairman and a sliding team, plus some discontented fans. I think he is a good shout to go.

It will be tight between him and Souness as to who goes first.

24. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

Only the ones that were successful last season. Robson kept them up, he's a hero... at present

Normally there's mutterings about a manager who had a poor season and will be given 'x' amount of games to prove himself. There hasn't been much of this at all so far...

25. For those of you that have absolutely no idea on what you are talking about (re: Bryan Robson).

Robson managed to keep a side up last season that looked totally doomed. He did it with a team that at times played some fantastic football and still managed to tighten us up at the back, unlike the defend and hope tactics under the previous manager. Some people on here clearly haven't seen us play very much.