Who will be Group B's top goalscorer?

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by argentine soccer fan, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    As was mentioned Kun probably isn't going to even be a starter. Overall right now it's impossible to predict who'll be starting for Argentina since Diego has called up about a billion different players since he took over.

If he continues with the same tactics he's been using then it'll probably be Messi-Higuain up front. if the midfield gets sorted out that could be a deadly duo. Right now they have 19 goals in 25 La Liga matches between the both of them.

If I can dream then I would say Lisandro Lopez since I wish he was a starter right now.

2. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Messi does not have the same brillance when he plays for Argentina. When he plays for Argentina he plays more like a traditional 4-4-2 winger than a 4-3-3 winger/support striker. Messi still has a huge impact but he's not Messi from Barcelona. (Correct me if im wrong doesn't Maradona play the 4-4-2 formation if he doesn't than)

Well Messi's lack of brillance is due to the fact that there isn't a player like Xavi on the Argentinian team. Xavi or Iniesta are the two players that link Messi and Henry to Ibra/Eto. If they have an opportunity to score they go for it but most of the time they cross to Ibra or some other attacker in the box. You usually see Messi or Henry play infront of the the midfielders and behind the defenders. When Messi plays for Argentina its totally the opposite case. Messi plays most of the time behind the midfielders and defenders. Because of this Messi doesn't have a lot of space to move foward since there are midfielders and a leftback/rightback guarding him. My point is that Messi strives at a 4-3-3 role more than a tradional winger role.

Higuian is a good player who can strive in both 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 winger roles.

I think Lisandro Lopez is the BEST striker for the Argentinian team. Diego Militto is good but he doesn't have the hustle like Lopez. Diego Militto is more of a Van niestel Rooy type of striker give him a ball in a tight space and he will score. Lisandro Lopez is like a cross between Diego Militto and Tevez. He has the pace that can match with Messi and Higuan and the finishing of Diego Militto.

3. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Argentina probably won't have the top scorer. No clear goal source. That said I'd have to say only Martins or Aiyegbeni from the other teams are prolific enough to score goals... I still find it more likely for a Nigerian to be a top scorer. Not cuz they are better, but because Nigeria has fewer options.

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    A few things.

1) Messi is not a traditional winger. He's not going to run back and cover in defense nor is he going to be sending in crosses. He's a wing forward that likes to cut in. Recently he's been playing a much more central roll for Barca since they like to switch constantly. Ibra will roam both to the left and right, Messi will roam to the middle, ext... The CWC match was a perfect example of Messi basically playing through the middle. He was rarely on the right in that match.

2) For Argentina Messi has always played as a forward not a winger. In Basile's 4-3-1-2 he played up front with Crespo or Tevez. In Maradona's 4-4-2 he's played up front with Tevez, Aguero, and recently Higuain. The only time he played on the right in a 4-2-3-1 formation was in the Olympics and he shined. It's no surprise also that Messi's best performances for Argentina (Copa America 07', Olympics 08') have been with Riquelme. He's a traditional playmaker that controls possesion and links up play, similar to what Xavi does at Barca. Maradona in recent matches has played a 4-4-2 with zero playmakers. There's no one to get the ball up or to distribute and thus the forwards will suffer. There's no creativity at all. The only shining light was Di Maria making runs through the left and getting the ball in. In other matches he's played with Veron who is a muerto for Argentina and doesn't deserve to be called up.

In the end though the biggest fault right now is the formation. The 4-4-2 doesn't suit the type of players Argentina currently has. For whatever reason Maradona fails to realize that. His ridiculous call ups obviously haven't helped either.

I agree 100%.

5. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There are to many Argentines to choose from

6. Utd16

Utd16 Member

May 24, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Call me biased.

Park Chu Young

7. realrulo

realrulo New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Greece has a defensive system, they don't attack. So is South Korea, but Park is a good free kick scorer. Nigeria has Martins, however against good defenders he is not lethal. I think Higuain or Messi will be top goalscorer.

8. pourmood

pourmood Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think Tevez will be the lead this group in GS, but being a huge fan of Park Ji-Sung, my vote goes to him for support.

9. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Messi can easily be the leading goalscorer of the tournament after the first round, let alone of the group.

10. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Then Nigeria is in luck, because Argentina only has one good defender - Samuel.

11. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thats ignorance , Argentina having 1 good defender. I dont see nigeria scoring against argie and greece.

12. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    i don't see any team in the group not scoring against greece.

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is this a wind up? If so please don't it's not really on topic.

14. soccerer1978

soccerer1978 New Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I vote for Gekas only because I believe Greece will pass as second to the next round and considering the fact that most probably they will play with only one forward that will be Gekas, he will have the chance to score some goals...

Everybody expects Messi to become the first scorer but so are all the opponents too. Means that at the time everubody will be struggling to stop Messi, the second forward of Argentina ( who ever that is - I vote for Milito) will be open most of the times...

From betting side of view I see Gekas as a good investment of money!

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    More garbage from the person who said that Darren Bent is a better striker than Diego Milito.

16. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why?

17. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    While he might serve more of a playmaking role, he is in top form on top of being the top player in the world (sorry, too many top's?), he had an insane finish at the domestic league (7 goals in the last 4 matches). But those numbers don't matter that much.

Everyone knows he can win matches. Everyone knows he is a threat to score next. Most defenders facing him would have watched him on video (and be in awe like the rest of us) but other than that are not acquainted to what he can do to you (not that he's predictable).

I don't think Messi played enough in the 2006 finals. I think he was ready to have started every game and do well at it. And he was only 18. I can't even begin to imagine the shit he will pull at this world cup. He might not show it but he is craving to play his heart out at this tournament.

People say, "playing for Argentina is not the same as playing for Barcelona". I agree, but not in the way that statement is made. Unless someone breaks his legs, he's going to be unstoppable.

18. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    An English striker better than an Argentine :eek:

19. jethy

jethy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Apparently people have faith in Nigeria by choosing Martins. I don't really see Nigeria scoring much at all. I'm assuming Aguero will start because of his ties with Maradona, so I'll go with him.

20. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    no chance. its between messi, higuain, tevez, and milito as to who starts. kun will be a sub. i'd bet that he starts with 3 up top being messi, higuain, and tevez in the first match.

21. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I could see Lukman Haruna being on top with his long range efforts... not likely, but Haruna will be the star for Nigeria if they are to go anywhere from this group.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is Lukman a possible starter in midfield, now that Mikel is out?

23. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I think Haruna would be a shoe-in for a starting slot even if Mikel was playing.

24. darco20

darco20 New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Longmont, CO
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying Higuain, simply because Messi never does how up for Argentina on a national level. Now if that changes, then he would certainly get it, but going off of history....

So yes Higuain, followed by Maybe Obafemi Martins who I could see getting a hat-trick against Greece, he is to strong for their defense.

Remember my post-match analysis after the game in my blog!

25. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    After watching Korea play against Greek... Messi is going to rip the Greek defense apart.