Who will be Concacaf Champion?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by billyboy23, Aug 3, 2008.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a problem with that. I don't see any particular reason to specify the matchups in the way you suggest. This way provides a bit more intrigue.

Interesting to note: a team cannot be drawn against the other team in their group that advances, but they can be drawn against a team in their own federation.

2. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My vote for Dynamo was purely on heart strings. Well also the fact that if there is an MLS team that can do it the Dynamo would have to be it. This may be the last year to make it happen for quite a while into the future.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out to be Saprissa. They're usually pretty good, have a hell of a home field advantage and the FMF teams just aren't that scary this go round. And I can't stand them. That's enough to make me worry right there.

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I dont see how a mls team is gonna win this tournament, it is between Saprissa or a mexican club

4. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    this tourney is what about 9 months long? don't worry the mexican teams have plenty of time to get scary :D

5. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but that's a two way street. It just seems like the teams that made it from FMF aren't the one showing the best now. From what little we've seen of their season form (2 games into apertura) so far I don't think they have much hope of walking off with the group stages like some might have expected. I think with their depth and resources we'll see 3 or 4 FMF teams get by the groups stage even if 2 have to scrape by. Who they are going to be? Time will tell. (Dumbest lyric ever: Time will tell if we stand the test of time. Duh.)

Conversely, I think the MLS clubs are going to cause major headaches for some fans who've been accustomed to our flameouts in CCC. Dynamo is in better form, by far, then they were when they were quickly booted by Sapressa. All the questions we had from several departed starters are now answered and we look ready to roll. DC United is having fits getting it together, but they seem to have found a pretty good mix as well. I like the fact that the used the SuperLiga break to get two plays fixed up for the run. Why not, that way they retain the lower profile and debut their new for to the international audience when it counts. The Revs play like Saprissa: defend, counter to score, then bunker. (And don't tell me that's not what Saprissa does, I'm not stupid and I have eyes.) They aren't easy to beat, ever. Chivas USA sucks this year, I expect them to loose to Tauro. I only expect 2 of the 3 remaining to get to the knockout stage in the spring. Sadly, those teams will have lost players during our off season and may come back as weak as they were this year in CCC.

6. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    If New England makes it to the quaterfinals, the first legs are February 24-26 with second legs on March 3-5.........dude that would be one coooooold game....with football lines on the field. :D

7. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Doubt there would be football lines during the offseason ;).

8. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    And ironically, looks like we're going to be cheering for you too.

9. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    when it comes to the FMF you can't always accurately judge how a team will do in international play based on how they are doing in the league. just a couple examples America finished dead last in the league and made the semi's of Libertadores. Pumas in 2005 were I believe in 17th place in the league and reached the final of the Sudamericana.

10. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully an MLS team, it would be really good for the league. If not, I hope Saprissa takes it.

11. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So then why include ********ing Olimpia?

12. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    because Olimpia is a 2 time Concacaf champion :rolleyes:

13. sshami88

sshami88 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    NY
    lol true about saprissa but they ONLY DO THAT WHEN THEY PLAY AWAY..when they play at home you better pray we only score 3 goals on ya!!!!!LOL

14. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, so then they're automatically qualified to win it this year!!!!!!
    :rolleyes: x 1000000000000000

15. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I'm called on a generalization that I'll admit I blew. I should know, it's what they did to Dynamo after all.

One thing to be aware of is that I also grabbed the wrong file from the New England Revs drawer in my brain. They aren't the slow bore you to death and manage to win while your sleeping team anymore. They've added a ton of speed up front and the midfield is getting pretty good at serving them in motion. (Can you say 'counter'?) Adding that speed to the experience with plastic fields they have and Saprissa better hope they don't run into them in the knockout phase. The counter attacking they do down in San José will be a shock the home crowd down there. Not saying they'll win the series, it's too close to call this far in advance, but they could make it real interesting.

Dynamo, on the other hand, seem to have a mix that matches up better with the FMF sides. There's still something missing to help with the matchups against Saprissa. Anything could happen, but I just can't seem to get a good feeling for my guys against Saprissa. Which is the only thing that's causing me to worry at this point.

Okay, that and the usual post season exodus of talent that ********s MLS teams up. It sucks to know that 2 or 3 starters are going to be off to higher paying leagues while my team is struggling in the knockout phase.

16. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    so why didn't you also question me puting up santos, cruz azul, and pumas up there too? why doesn't a mod put up new england as an option along with atlante and alajuela and half of the teams participating so people like you can shut up :rolleyes:. I can't believe i'm arguing with you over a stupid and silly detail :rolleyes:

17. sshami88

sshami88 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    NY
    well am not going to knock on NE and Dynamo seeing that they both made it to the superliga final. They both are good teams that play to their strengths. I still dont see NE as threat as much as you want to pump them up, i mean am not saying will would blow them out but i dont see in an official tournament how they are going to beat saprissa. La liga well there a joke right now, but they are still good enough to beat NE.:)

18. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I will dream of my Dynamo winning this, the most important competition they play in, I'm fairly realistic about the chances. I expect us to qualify for the final knockout stage, but the timing for success is not good for that. I'm sanquine about MLS chances come the knock-out bracket.

19. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    we cant do that....i have tried before :p

20. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    nice to see you around here donJ

21. truesoccerfan

truesoccerfan New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    los angeles
    lol saprisa or olimpia champs?where's my L.A GALAXY. I do think mexican teams have more chances.

22. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect one of these teams to win the tourney. In order from most to least likely...

1. Cruz Azul
    2. Saprissa
    3. Dynamo

23. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    my favorites

1. Cruz Azul
    2. Santos Laguna
    3. Saprissa
    4. Pumas- because their coach doesn't care about the CCL

24. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I prefer they do it this way. For instance, what if a highly rated team has a hiccup and ends up in second, then another team will try and finish second as well to avoid playing them. At least where it's random, it provides some incentive.

25. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Joe Public