who will be 27 and 28?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by OWN(yewu)ED, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

who will be teams 27, 28?

1. Sacramento

26 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. Las Vegas

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. San Diego

10 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Detroit

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  5. San Antonio

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. St Louis

28 vote(s)
    38.4%
  7. Carolina (raleigh or charlotte)

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  8. Tampa Bay

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. Other

23 vote(s)
    31.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything resembling a sniff of a successful ownership group with the money in St. Louis will push everything else to the side. It’s garbers last “must have” city. If St. Louis city is on board he will put the stamp on it quickly. The Midwest would be effectively locked down from expansion after them I think. Detroit is the other obvious one but their situation has to change.

TrueCrew, RedRover and SetPeace repped this.
  2. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This news from Tuesday was quite unexpected, but undoubtedly most welcome for soccer-loving fans in the St. Louis area. There are still a lot of variables to factor into the equation involving the City and the State of Missouri, but both entities seem to be on the same page and receptive to the idea of MLS coming to St. Louis. Having deep-pocketed owners obviously helps this bid, but having a truckload of money isn't an end-all, be-all when it comes to snagging an MLS franchise, as Sacramento (so far) can attest.

TrueCrew repped this.
  3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    True
    But having
    1. Money,
    2. Stadium plan, location, funding
    3. Political support
    4. Majority female owned
    are what MLS is more than MLS could hope far from any group.

STL now has them all.

TrueCrew repped this.
  4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This vaults St. Louis to the top for me, pending the soccer city vote.

24. Cincy
    25. Nashville
    26. Miami
    27. Austin (Crew saved)
    28. St. Louis

I think PSV could still screw Austin up or some issues could crop up with McKalla.

After Nov votes MLS will make a Columbus/Austin/Miami announcement and perhaps St. Louis before Christmas if it pans out.

5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Tywin Lannister repped this.
  6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like Sacramento right?

Two things. The stadium will be Mostly privately financed. Also, the stadium will still go to a public vote as well..........that right there could kill it. They are still talking about the same sales tax being issued that scuppered the last stadium plan that went to a public vote.

For all we know all of the markets could be fighting over ONE spot, depending on the Columbus Crew/Austin saga shakes out.

Phoenix Rising's bid shouldn't be underestimated either.

TrueCrew and TheRealBilbo repped this.
  7. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Do you have a link for the public vote and the same sales tax being issued?

Everything I've read says they will not need a public vote, and the financing package is still being worked out, but I can't imagine they would make that mistake again. The article linked by SportBilly above mentioned a 3% site-specific tax, which is not the same as the last proposal.

SetPeace and Sport Billy repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had heard on The USS show on SiriusXM FC that it would be a public vote, but that was mistaken:
    https://www.houstonherald.com/news/...cle_9adc8c06-cc99-11e8-b3b0-57a696bf5cb8.html

Though, this is far from a done deal. It looks and sounds better than the last proposed one that failed. That said, these things are usually never smooth sailing, and there will be hurdles and opposition along the way.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    This is inaccurate.
    This will NOT require a public vote.
    The only non-private money will be capturing the tax on concessions and tickets. - that happens everywhere.

10. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This actually might be a very good move for MLS. Traditionally, the St. Louis media market is huge in the mid-Mississippi River region. Being from Indiana, I do know that Southwestern Indiana (that is, Evansville, Terre Haute & Vincennes) Hoosiers tend to have huge Cardinals loyalties. St. Louis would come into the league with built-in local rivalries with Sporting KC, Minnesota United, the Chicago Fire, Nashville FC, and FC Cincinnati. Since these cities are fairly close together, there certainly would be roadtrips galore if St. Louis comes into the league.

TrueCrew, Tywin Lannister and SetPeace repped this.
  11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we have clarity in Columbus. And in Cincy & Nashville. Less than a month until the Miami vote.

Is 2020 possible for Miami & Nashville stadiums? Do they start in temp facilities in '20 regardless?

I have my doubts about PSV getting over the line in Austin & think Austin footy fans would be better off with Epstein.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always been in the 32 (or even 34) team camp. At 32 you go 4 divisions of 8. Play div foes twice & everyone else once for 38 games. At 34 just play everyone one plus 'rivalry' games (1, 3, or 5) to get to 34/36/38 games. You could even get away with 36 with 3 rivalry games, but would be missing home&homes out east (NY/NY/Philly/Boston/DC). Could fix 1-2 & rotate the others. But I see 34 as the cap.

Handicapping it now, I would say Austin in the lead for #27 (but not a done deal) and St. Louis in the lead for #28. San Antonio for #27 is Austin stumbles. Phoenix & SD (if Soccer City passes) also in the running with Sac (ownership) & Detroit (stadium) also possible.

MLS at 32:

1) East/Atlantic: DC, NE, NYRB, Philly, NYCFC, Orlando, Atlanta, Miami (#25).

2) Great Lakes/Central: Columbus, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Minnesota, Cincinnati (#24), Nashville (#26), Detroit (#31).

3) Midwest/Mountain West: SKC, FCD, Colorado, RSL, Houston, Austin (#27), St. Louis (#28), San Antonio (#29).

4) Pacific/West: LA Galaxy, SJ, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, LAFC + pick 2 from PHX, SD, Sac, Vegas, SF-Oak for #s 30&32.

13. SoccerRevolutionary

SoccerRevolutionary New Member

May 11, 2007
    Would love to see a soccer hotbed like St. Louis finally get accepted into the MLS Fraternity...Also another city that would be cool is Sacramento, CA...The big question is the following...Not sure if there will be a team in Vegas, but you never know...Would also like to see a team in San Diego and maybe even Rochester, NY...MIGHT even need to switch to a single table system, like they have in the rest of the world...

14. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe reading the tea leaves that teams 27 and 28 are petty much set as being Austin as 27 and St. Louis as 28. I get the feeling that MLS is not as in love with Sacramento as much as Sacramento is in love with MLS. Sacramento may also be getting some kick back from San Jose as to territorial rights. Granting a team to PSV in Austin takes care of a messy situation in Columbus.

MLS has always been in love with St. Louis but could never find the right dance partner to make it a reality. Now they have the prefect partners in the Taylor family, which have very deep pockets, and to top it off that they are the most local ownership group you could ask for in St. Louis. Also, it doesn't hurt that it's a mostly female ownership group, which plays very well in today's political climate. Add the fact that local government seems to be bending over backwards to make this happen. This makes St. Louis a shoe-in for team 28.

jaykoz3 and tallguy repped this.
  15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think St Louis is pretty darn near a lock...... I am still hoping something catastrophic happens in Austin to Precourt and their synthetic fanbase that causes it all to come crashing down. Id even be content with that replacement team being San Antonio than Sacramento. Just the principle of the matter to get that scumbag out of the league.

catfish9 repped this.
  16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    IMO St Louis is certainly a viable candidate now but hardly a lock. Expansion is largely about adding eyeballs to make the future media deals more valuable.

jaykoz3 and tallguy repped this.
  17. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it seems that Precourt is well on his way to making Austin FC a reality. Even Fanatics the official web shop for MLS thinks so.

https://www.fanatics.com/?query=Austin FC

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we will be set on #27-#28 before next season kicks off.

1. Cincy (#24) & Nashville (#25) are set. Miami (#26, what # were they when Becks announced originally?) is virtually so once the NIMBY/Lobbying thing goes away.

2. Columbus staying in and Austin at #27 are not quite over the line, but will be shortly. Announcements & ball spiking next week or two. I's dotted & T's crossed before new years. Stadium/site soecifics get worked out as we go.

3. St. Louis before season starts as #28.

Then they just sit back & wait for the teams & new stadiums to roll in.

2019: FCC & Minny stadium. Portland upgrades.

2020: Nashville & Miami.

2021: Stadiums in Columbus, Cincy, Miami, and Nashville.

2021 or 2022: Teams & Stadiums in Austin & St. Louis.

Booming.

hipityhop, svelten and tallguy repped this.
  19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin and STL

TrueCrew repped this.
  20. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having 28 teams by 2022 as compared to 22 teams in 2018 is a huge leap. It also enhances the "major" image of MLS. Lacking now are 2 Big-4 cities: Detroit and Phoenix, plus teams in North Carolina Las Vegas. Or perhaps SD, Sacramento, San Antonio, Indy, etc will step up.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garble today said Austin is likely for 2021. Still some hurdles there.

So too in Columbus, but thosexapoearxa formality, and the Crew are playing next year. March 2 v NYRB home opener.

22. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://mlsmultiplex.com/2018/12/27/phoenix-rising-heat-no-problem-bid-mls-expansion/

Hopefully we aren't counting out Phoenix just yet. I know St. Louis has history, but if I'm looking at current market size, what the market will look like in 10 years, etc., etc. I'd much rather have Phoenix, (which projects to add another million people by 2028) than St. Louis. No need for any gov't approvals in Phoenix (reservation land) and the location is pretty much ideal.

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think whomever does not get #28 gets #29 (PHX/STL). #29 I think is getting close. Perhaps #30 as well.

24. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounding like a public vote may become a thing.

Was a Public Vote was one of Precourt's "Get out of Contract" Clauses?

25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I was talking about STL, not Austin