Who Will Advance?

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by Naui_Ocelotl, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will advance? (select two)

Poll closed Jun 2, 2010.
  1. South Africa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. México

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Uruguay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It wasnt a miracle, what the hell is wrong with you? Mexico played well enough to beat them and then some.

2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes losing 3-0 to Uruguay has made a South African second round appearance very unlikely, oh my Boys and the last minute miss vs Mexico, very likely a Uruguay/Mexico second round date.

3. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Now the picture is clear, Uruguay and Mexico will play for a tie and the group will finish:
    1. Uruguay
    2. Mexico

4. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Negative, they will both be playing to win... no one really wants to face Argentina.

5. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    not happening. If we didn't play defensive against France, you think we will vs Uruguay? Mexico will play for the win, but not pressured.

6. hbl33

hbl33 Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Most South American teams [if not all] are probably making to 2nd Round for sure. Africans, OTOH, might not have even a single representative [not even Ivorians, South Africans or Nigerians for that matter]. US & Mexico comes in mind in advancing. The only AFC team that will advance for sure is SK [can't say about NK; JPN, Kiwis & Socceroos are done for good]

7. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The Ivorians will make it. Ghana will make it. They're still in good shape. Neither one of them has the issues of the other 4 to deal with. I'm still confident, and those were always the ones that we needed to have a chance. Chile and Uruguay benefited from decent draws, but then again, so did Nigeria and Cameroon. Didier Drogba, Kalou, Toure bros., Zakora, Eboue and co. all know that they are are all that's left for continental pride because Ghana is without Essien and Appiah barely plays so can do nothing if they go through.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I bet Ghana and Ivory Coast make it.

Chile is in dire straights at this point, in spite of their win over Honduras.

And Paraguay is a 50/50 option right now, I wouldn't be surprised if they choke facing Slovenia.

PS: Something tells me that Ghana will make a deeper run than Ivory Coast. I think they have a better bench, the talent is more evenly distributed across the field. This Ghana with Essien and Appiah in form would have been a contender for semis, IMO.

As is, I see them making it to QFs maybe, unless they have to face a giant in R16.

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Chile might need a showdown with Spain even if they beat Switzerland. Of course, it will depend how Honduras plays against Spain and Switzerland. The 1-nil scoreline might not be enough.

10. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Uruguay didn't get a good draw. We got a really tough one. The host, the defending finalists, and Mexico. How is that easy? Much tougher than most.

11. MachoRhombus

MachoRhombus Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Do you think us mexicans are happy?! 2 ex-champions and the host in the opening day! D=

12. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    never said you guys were happy. I was just pointing to the fact that someone said it was an easy group

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obviously not an easy group....

I think Mexico vs. Greece would be a very interesting matchup with a chance at the quarters on the line...

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Greece is basically flatlining.

The Nigeria-Korea decides the rival of whoever wins that group.

I say S. Korea.

Argentina - Uruguay and Mexico - South Korea.

15. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    If I were the coach of Uruguay or Mexico, I would not risk any injuries and just opt for the tie.

16. WorldCupRene

WorldCupRene New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    I don't know... the goal differential may play a big part in deciding that group, and right now South Korea has only the slightest edge. Granted... Greece now plays Argentina, but from two matches I have seen, it is fairly evident that Argentina lacks a true creative midfielder who can put some clarity in matches were the other team parks the bus and has a player sticking to Messi like glue. Messi needs space to operate, and I don't think Greece will give it to him.

17. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No. if we had 6 points, and we were mathematically qualified, I would agree with you, but we aren't.

We need to learn from the Egypt mistake in the confederations cup. They thought they were already qualified and had the game in the bag, so the rested some of their best players.... and guess what? The U.S. crushed them.

18. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nigeria has almost no posibilities, they got 0 points from 2 games. Need to beat S. Korea and hope for a Greece defeat to be in a 3 way tie,

its between Greece and S. Korea.

If Nigeria beats S. Korea, and Greece ties Argentina, Greece is in, they are also in if they win, but Argentina's bench is also pretty good and I don't think Greece can beat them.

S. Korea all they need to do is win and they are in, or tie and hope Greece loses, or ties and have them in a better goal difference.

19. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Agree, and whoever wins gets any of the second place teams from group B, they would be almost a shoe in for quarters. So Mexico and Uruguay have to play to win, because a good shot at being in the quarterfinals is on the line.

20. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Yes, but i dont expect to see a "rush on them" match of neither team. I think will be a tactical match without risk too much before the 80 minute.

21. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Of course, they will play it by ear as the game goes along. If France is up 2-0 and they seem likely to score two more, then Mexico will have to rush.

I think Aguirre has to want to win this game. You don't want to play what seems a really inspired Argentina team and lose the chances of being the first Mexican team in quarters outside of Mexico. Remember, Mexican goal is that famed 5th game.

22. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

I don't think Mexico or Uruguay can play it by ear if the France vs South Africa game follows after the Mexico vs Uruguay game I think right?? With that said Mexico can't take no chances and should go for the kill against Uruguay!

23. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    No, games are played at the same time. B group is played later that day too.

24. WorldCupRene

WorldCupRene New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Nope... every since that disgraceful performance between Austria and Germany in Spain 82, in which they knew by the third match they only needed to tie to advance, leaving Algeria behind, they negotiated a 0-0 extremely boring match (I viewed it and was incensed at the time). Since then, FIFA has all the teams of the same group playing at the same time to avoid negotiated results.

25. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

I'm glad to see they can do something honest apart from the refs