Who Will Advance?

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by Naui_Ocelotl, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will advance? (select two)

Poll closed Jun 2, 2010.
  1. South Africa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. México

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Uruguay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Whoever wins this is taking 1st place. Mexicoooo

2. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    I've been doing the math and well, anything can still happen.

South Africa can still advance.

1st or 2nd can be anyone. The whole entire group can literally end up with 4 points at the end.

If Uruguay loses to Mexico and France beats Mexico and South Africa beats France, we have a 4 way point tie. lol

3. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WCRENE...........this was hilarious!!!!!!!!! About time we started having some fun in this blog......I must give props to URUNADA for a convincing win..I cant believe how bad SA played.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The interesting this is that France has been having trouble defeating African sides in the last two years, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that South Africa wins that match.

Also, Mexico has defeated Uruguay consistently of late. So they winning that match is also possible. And France has the closed-style, partly physical, that gives problems to Mexico --think the USA.

So it is almost expected, by me, that all teams will end with 4. Goal diff will be vital. In that sense, South Africa is done: having three against today was the end for them, IMO. The other matches are likely to be 1-0 affairs. 2-0 at most.

5. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    African or not, S. Africa is not as good as any of the African sides that France lost to. That said, their form against Mexico will be telling. If they have another off game, then perhaps South Africa can make a run of it, but Perriera has to let go of the reins on this one. They can't worry about giving up goals because they need to score. At least go out and give the fans some goals to cheer about. Show them that this actually means something. I'm sure the S. African fans would have been happier if they'd lost 1-3 or 2-4.

6. Santeria

Santeria New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    The citizens of Argentina are futbol fanatics, I know this because I spent a year there.
    Mexico is another country where futbol is huge, i'm almost certain not as much as Argentina, but it's up there. I've never been to Mexico, but i've been to Texas, and L.A lol, although that may not be Mexico I can see futbol to them is something they love too.

Question is... Why are there more Mexican haters then Argentine haters?
    It's off topic, i know; but i'm sensing a lot of hatred already, panic mode one might think?

Another thing! I'm almost certain the number of idiots that live in Argentina are equivalent to idiots that live in Mexico; but do the Argentines lock up thier idiots and ban them from the internet (bigsoccer)? and the Mexicans don't?

I know everyone's going to start screaming TROLL, and come up with a witty insult; but is this really not obvious to anyone else?

Good luck tomorrow, honestly if I were Mexican I would want nothing more than a victory and my mind would be closed to anything or anyone that said different.

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    oh yes it is, unless there's another bafanabafana hidden somewhere they're going to unveil special for that match. the ones i've seen are horrible, not a patch on nigeria or even togo, the only african sides we've played since 2005.

think the USA but with speed and technique. france is very athletic but if our matches are always fermés it's the opposition that decides that. i don't think mexico is capable of bunkering down like that... but uruguay sure is, and that's all they need to do to get through.

to let go of the reins he needs horses. as it is the reins will just fall to the ground.

i don't see the uruguay match as being as off as all that. sure there were a couple of goals just asking to be scored, but altogether the match went pretty much to script.

the only two matches really up in the air are Mex-Fra and Mex-Uru and in neither of them do 3 points for el tri seem likely to me. perhaps just as unlikely for their opponents but their opponents don't need them.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I wouldn't feel overconfident. South Africa played quite well versus Mexico, but then they were given space. In a way, I think France and Uruguay are similar --and so far I remember those matches end in 0-0.

The Yanks have improved a lot. Now they have a good idea of strategical shifts, and this is a very solid team they have in midfield. You underestimate them at your peril.

Our matches have often been fermés because Ray has tended to use 2 récupérateurs or a lone striker with wingers that don't cross but run to overcrowd the centre.

Every Uruguay-France game this millennium has been a fascinating affair, even if every time it ended 0-0. I notice, though, that the tactical aspects of those matches tend to fly right over the head of most viewers.

9. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I would definately rather lose 2-4 than draw 0-0 with France....

I really believe that we have it in our football to beat france. But pshycologically recovering from last night is what i'm not sure we have in us....

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'm no troll nor a cruel man by nature but i don't see the bafana bafana's problem as psychological.

2-4? 0-0? i don't think either of those options are open. but i'll eat my words like a man if i'm proven wrong.

11. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Come now...you did not see lack of commitment and nerves in their play?

12. MachoRhombus

MachoRhombus Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Direct match-up between the 2 teams that are in a tie.

13. luis_mx

luis_mx New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Falls church
    Mexico/Uruguay or Uruguay/Mexico.

Uruguay has some sick, sick, strikers. If they had a better #10 and moved up Forlan, Uruguay would be a sick team.

14. Daninho777

Daninho777 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Consistently? as of late? we have only played 3 games in this whole decade (2 wins mex, 1 draw). And overall we havent really played each other all that much. My point is having those games so far apart from each other can hardly be an indication of how this game will go, especially being the world cup which in this case is a much bigger game than a 3rd place play off in copa america.

15. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    May the force be with Mexico today boy am I nervous

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm rooting against France because of Domenech and the Henry handballs (though I usually like them based on style of play and karma deserved from the Schumaker hit in the 80s), and I usually root for my fellow CONCACAF teams (even Mexico), I'd like to give the hosts a glimmer of hope.

Thus, I'm pulling for a draw. If not, then a Mexico win.

17. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    MEXICO equipo local !!!

mexico home team!!

18. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

A Mexico win and a South Africa win, can help, but we need to bary Uruguay and South Africa needs to take care of France.

19. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Exactly sorry Uruguayos but we have to show no mercy against you for the fact we don't know what the outcome of the SA vs France game will be so we can't take any chances. Here comes Bofo and Guadardo

20. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Any news on Vela's injury?

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good performance by Mexico... how close was that first goal? Looked close to me, the first time I saw it I thought he was off.

Mexico could be bound for the quarters. France look absolutely awful for the most part.

22. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i thought he was offside too but seeing the replay he was onside... barely

23. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Considering that assistant refs are advised not to call it offside when in doubt, I think it was a correct call.

And I believe this group is as good as decided now... even if there's a win in Mex-Uru, France basically needs to catch up 5 goals (1:0 for Uruguay or Mexico -> France needs to win 4:0 to advance) and I don't see that happening. Not considering how bad they have been so far. For South Africa, I have no hope at all, even if they manage win vs France, which I consider possible, if unlikely, they'll never catch up the goal difference.

24. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Tonight Mexico pulled the miracle against a top euro team! Now we must show Uruguay no mercy what so ever!

25. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Okay, so the question is how much risk mexico take to avoid playing argentina (when there's a possibility that France is able to catch up). I think they may line up defensive to make sure they contain Forlan. Once they see the halftime score from France/South Africa then they'll make a tactical decision.