Who Will Advance?

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by Naui_Ocelotl, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will advance? (select two)

Poll closed Jun 2, 2010.
  1. South Africa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. México

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Uruguay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Pretty straight forward. Who'll qualify for the round of 16?

2. BennyScrap

BennyScrap Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I dislike both countries football teams, I expect Mexico and France to put up a good showing and advance out with France in first and Mexico in second. Uruguay and SA will put up a great fight, but I don't see them advancing...

3. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1- France
    2- Uruguay

4. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1.Mexico
    2.France.

I don't see Mexico passing with all 9 points though.

5. BennyScrap

BennyScrap Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither. One of the three teams will at least tie Mexico, but I can't see them getting less than 4 points either... which is usually enough to get through considering Mexico scores goals well.

6. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    France 7:rolleyes:
    Mexico 5;)
    Uruguay 3:mad:
    South Africa 1

7. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i expect this

southafrica 2 mexico 2
    uruguay 0 france 1

uruguay 2 southafrica 0
    france 1 mexico 1

uruguay 2 mexico 2
    southafrica 1 france 1

8. ice444

ice444 New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Brisbane
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mexico/France

9. palpatine4363

palpatine4363 Member

Apr 22, 2006
    1.France
    2.South Africa
    3.Mexico
    4.Uruguay

France is underated because of a bad qualification campaign.
    South africa will have home advantage.

10. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    France and Mexico look like the clear cut favourites, I think they'll go through.

11. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Even though it's tough i think South Africa will keep the tradition as a host nation and will progress to the second rounds. Maybe with the help of the referees :) But they will go further.

1. Mexico
    2. South Africa
    3. Uruguay
    4. France

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't give hope to South Africa at this point. They're playing ugly football, and can't stop a well-organized attack if their lives depended on it. Things will change, though, I'm sure. Parreira took charge two months ago and he's a coach I trust to do what is needed.

Same with France. We're a very, very uneven team that can show up in one game and put the Serbians against their goal at their own house for 45 minutes, and then next play like a third division team and be owned by the Irish in Paris. Hard to tell what will happen in six months, since our problems run deeper (IMO) than just the coach.

If the games were today:

South Africa 0 - 2 Mexico
    Uruguay 0 - 0 France

South Africa 0 - 1 Uruguay
    France 0 - 1 Mexico

Mexico 2 - 1 Uruguay
    France 2 - 1 South Africa

Mexico 9
    Uruguay 4/0
    France 4/0
    South Africa 0

It'd go to Fair Play or Straw between Uruguay and France (same pts., GD, GS, H2H).

13. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Actually, Mexico isn't a clear favorite being Uruguay, I feel right now the South American team have a light advantage.

1. France
    2. Uruguay
    3. Mexico
    4. South Africa

1 person likes this.
  14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I think this group will be arguably the most interesting and entertaining ... but at the same time I feel bad.

More than other groups, with the exception of France whose talent level is above all other three participants, this is very balanced, and technically all four would have a chance to advance if placed in other groups.

I would like to see South Africa and Uruguay advance - the former as it's the host nation and the latter as the Uruguayans were absent in 2006, 1998, and 1994 and have long yearned to be competitive in the world stage again.

Unfortunately, South Africa's team, while solid and with home support, may still struggle against the very solid Mexicans, the talented and gritty Uruguayans, and the French, who need no introduction. As for the Uruguayans, they'll spill their guts out in the field, but it may not be enough.

I predict France and Mexico to advance.

15. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1. Mexico
    2. France
    3. Uruguay
    4. South Africa

16. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    You can say a lot, but SA play very pretty football, with lots of passes, tricks and dribbles... They may be many things, but they don't play ugly footbal..

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Making a lot of short passes when only 20% of them make it to the intended players is playing ugly.

Did you see their games against Ireland and Japan? There still should be torrents around. Ugly.

18. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    No. But I saw them play at the Confed Cup and at the ACoN 2008. They were remarkably good passers at those tournaments. The main issue is the shot on goal when they should have passed and they passed when they should have shot...

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The return of one Benedict would help them greatly.

20. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Comparing their current teams, I give a slight edge to Mexico, just my opinion. Anything can happen in football though, so I would not be surprised to see Uruguay go through, or even Uruguay and Mexico. I would be surprised if SA goes through (unless the referee helps them for being hosts, like in 2002 they helped Korea).

21. thatguy

thatguy New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    South Africa and France

22. MarocFAN

MarocFAN Member

May 18, 2006
    Morocco/Germany
    I think that France, Uruguay and Mexico are on the same level so the two qualified teams will only qualify with goal difference

1.France 6
    2.Uruguay 6
    3.Mexico 6
    4.South Africa 0
    Would be funny if it ends like this.:D

23. wolf6656

wolf6656 New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Canada
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Red Card!!!!
    You said France and Fair Play in the same sentence.

24. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sure, I remember the 10 French field players handling the ball before the goal...We all know that the plot was designed from A to Z even before the kick off whistle...Dirty dirty French con men...

Frankly, we can thank Henry. Without him, we would have never realised that there were so many heroes ready to display their sense of justice and morality through the Internet. Thank guys, without you the World would be such a terrible place. Once they've done their bit for the cause, I think they can die peacefully...

25. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    France and Mexico.
    I'd really like South Africa to go through but just can't see them getting a result against any of these 3 side. I actually think Mexico and Uruguay are pretty closely matched and if France don't improve significantly by June then they could easily be suprised by one of those two sides. Whatever the case, this group should be quite a tight one.