Who was Jesus

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by musicl, Mar 27, 2007.

1. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Who was Jesus? Wanta see BS view on him.

Edit: I lost the orginal poll when trying to update number of options with 100+ words in an option, then i forgot some of the orginal options, seriously annoying!!

2. FYP

3. John Kevin W. Desk

John Kevin W. Desk New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Ruined your post

4. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the choice for "Until we find find an autographed copy of the first edition of The Rabbi from Galilee: My Story by Yshua ben Yosef, we'll never know and anything said about him is speculation"?

5. Operation Opera

Mar 18, 2007
    respected prophet

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That's extreme. There's little reason to doubt a divisive religious figure named Jesus lived in the early part of the 1st century AD and some of the writings attributed to him today were likely spawned by some of his ideas.

Its not all that much more than what we know of Socrates, but I don't have any reason to suspect Socrates was a figment of Plato's imagination.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Its pretty clear he was NOT that.

8. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    He was the weekend porter at my Westside apartment building.

9. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    History shows that there were 10 (of which we have some record) messianic movements within a 150 year span around the same time frame as Jesus lived. Though we know little of the actual teachings of the leaders of most of them, there were a couple who taught from the Scriptures in a manner similar to that of Jesus.

Ever wonder why none of them have ever gained any recognition remotely close to that of Jesus?

10. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying he did not exist.

I'm saying that with the information we have we are limited to speculation when trying to answer the question: Who was he? Right now, all we have are various and differing second- and third-hand views of him that sometimes don't agree with each other. So unless more and definitive information is discovered, we have to try to reconstruct what he really said and taught and therefore can never be 100% sure that we're right. Yeah, yeah, our guesses can be more or less informed and therefore more or less likely but most of our reconstruction still fits into the category of speculation.

11. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds interesting, do you have any readings on this?

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

they didn't inspire the people around him the way Jeshua seemed to singularly do?

13. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    This is why I choose "Other". I think it's highly unlikely that some of the options are correct (such as Son of God), but there isn't enough evidence to come to a decision on many of the others.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe we should have an option saying that Jesus was an enlightened reincarnation of the Buddha. The Dalai Lama seems to think so.

I guess that could go under number seven or eight.

15. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the "Jesus was the guy I hired last week to spread some pine straw mulch around my shrubs" option?

But seriously, he was a normal sort of fellow who was considered by half of his contemporaries to be a diety. The other half thought he was a leader of an insurrection against oppressive authority. Unfortunately, the first half wrote all the books.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Half of his contemporaries certainly never considered him a deity. It was a very minor percentage if any; its most likely they saw him as divinely inspired, especially considering that the Jewish tradition did not feature messiah as the son of God.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    If the degree of devotion to a silly cause proves the cause, Mekhlis must make Stalinism true.

More on point, Shabbatai Zvi is proof that the conviction of one's disciples has absolutely nothing to do with the belief's veracity.

18. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must you always henpeck? My "half versus half" line was for illustrative purposes. I failed apparently.

19. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Whoever he was i think what he taught has been changed and lost its real focus over the years.

e.g. Paul came up with the saved by grace stuff, Jews didnt have to obey the law, etc, the Romans Catholics came up with the go to a building, sing songs, give us some money etc...

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Its not "henpecking". Almost no one at the time of Jesus's life saw him as a deity. You failed because what you were trying to illustrate is wrong in the first place.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Well, obviously we can't be 100% right, but we can have a fairly decent guess as to what he said, partially by examining how parts of his "message" was at odds with what the Church would eventually become.

22. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't have a theme song?

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe they were 'Children of a Lesser God'.

:D

Ok, bad joke.

24. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]Where is the answer that it is somebody that nobody should F with?

25. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MLSNHTOWN again.