Who was better - Hahnemann or Cannon?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RoyalMan, Jun 8, 2003.

1. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    Evening people. So who was the better GK today, our very own MH or Cannon?

Also where does this leave MH in the GK rankings, with all the keepers fit and available?

Much appreciated. Cheers

2. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Cannon didn't have anything to do, so no way to tell. The one shot on him, a header, he played fine, good position. Marcus played well, no bobbles, the goal he couldn't have stopped, one fine kick save.

3. Scumby

Scumby Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Vancouver, WA USA
    Tough to say. Marcus saw more action and got scored on, but the goal wasn't his fault. Cannon had very little to do, just one save at the end that was shot right at him. So, I'd say Marcus, as he did stop a 1v1, but Cannon really didn't have a chance to show much.

As for where it puts him overall, I'd still say he was in fourth place behind Brad, Casey, and Tim, but I'm sure others will disagree with me.

Scumby

P.S. I found out tonight that Reading is pronounced, "Redding" not "Reeding" like I thought. Thanks Tommy Smyth.

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When are those Brits ever going to learn to speak English? :)

5. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention those folks in Pennsylvania who pronounce their town of the same name the same way...

And, as to the thread's topic, what they said...can't tell 'cause Cannon really wasn't threatened other than the one shot.

6. cafrine

cafrine New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    is GONE
    I thought Marcus' posture was better, as he was able to keep his spine more erect and his shoulders back more. Cannon, on the other hand, was caught hunching over a bit and even crossing his arms a few times. Not very professional, I thought.

Wait, we are talking about who was better at standing around, right?

7. Furious George

Furious George New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    to the right
    I felt more comfortable with Cannon.

But he had almost nothing to do. I would say Hanheman helped himself, though.

8. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Hahnemann played well. I am also happy that he doesn't suffer from "American keepers getting a British accent" syndrome which Brad Friedel suffers from.

9. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to tell from the telly, but my take on the Kiwi goal was that the shot was terrific, BUT...Cherundolo should have either gotten a better position to block the shot, or simply have gotten a foot on it. And, Hahneman should have had the near post covered given that Cherundolo was likely to have the far post shot blocked no matter what.

10. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    Neither one really seemed to help or hurt their cause. They both are still buried deep on the over all depth chart and hampered by the fact that there age puts them in an awkward position- too close to the cagy veterans and in the end behind in skill,Timmy and maybe this is more debatable Adin Brown

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'll give it to Cannon, since he signed an autograph for my sister.

12. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    You know what? Both had moments that were good and bad.

Marcus good:

I loved the simple distribution! Why can't Keller or Howard get rid of the ball that quickly to an open man? He never seemed to play us into a "50-50" situation, we always kept the ball. Seemed like he was nice and calm.

The bad: I thought he didn't read the danger on the goal quick enough. He came out a bit late and when NZ pulled the trigger, he was caught inbetween and had no chance on a save. He also had a punch on a free kick that was VERY weak and fell right to NZ's feet. That could have been an embarrashing goal to give up....

Joe good:

Position, position, position......On the Kiwi breakaway, Cannon simply made himself big and literally forced the guy into slowing down and looking for a pass. Cannon never blinked or shifted his feet. He was ready for just about any shot. On his one save, he made it look easy because he saw the intention early.

Joe bad: Where Marcus looked calm, Joe looked anxious. He came out and stopped a few times. On some headers, he was not set and ready to make a save (was unsure if he should challenge or stay in the goal). His distribution was ok, but it seemed to slow down play, whereas Marcus' sped up play....

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Not too much to add but that failed punch/swat thing that Marcu pulled off in the 3rd minute was baffling...9 times out of 10 there is someone form the opposing team to put that back in...his kick save was classy though

as was said...Cannon could have run to Hampton Roads and back, and still not been scored upon...I felt bad for the guy, he looked all sad and lonely

14. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Arena doesn't have a preference, either--at least not publicly. When asked who would start if Howard was unavailable he said but Howard IS available so it's not important.

Bottom line to me is that neither Hahneman nor Cannon will ever get high enough on the USMNT depth chart in the next couple years to debate it.

Of course, if Howard goes down before or during the Confederations Cup then it will be interesting to see how the team performs...

15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I agree with most of what's been said. I would tend to rank Cannon ahead of Hahnemann, but yesterday Marcus looked much more comfortable. The question that remains to be answered is: was that because Cannon's had so few first-team games since October, or because Marcus is just a little more experienced and composed for a national team-level match?

I'm very curious about how much time either will get in the Confederations Cup.

16. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    one more good thing about MH

It's good to see a bald American keeper in England without a stupid farking British accent.

17. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    looks like Cannon's been eating well. hes packed on a few lbs since heading to francia.

Nice 2 see Marcus hadn't picked up some silly fake british accent like another goalkeeper of ours.

both made 1 impressive save but Hahnemann was nicked on the heels by the mighty midget, miniAbmod. Marcus still is a bit shaky w/ the ball at his feet, IMHO.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That was an incredibly bad start to Marcus' day, though I thought he recovered well (who knows what would've happened if NZ planted the ball in the back of the net, though).

I heard that Marcus would occasionally unleash some howlers at Fulham. I wonder if RoyalMan or other Reading supporter can tell us if he's put those things behind him for the most part.

But for the most part, neither was as busy as the New Zealand keeper. I think Cannon had plenty of time to finish the crossword puzzle that Hahnemann started in the first half, and even moved on to another one.

19. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    In about 95% of the games this season MH was superb. He played some absolute blinders.

There were only two games where i'd be even a little critical off him. Brighton at home, where he threw the ball away in frustration after a free kick was awarded for a backpass. Unfortunately, the ball landed straight at an attackers feet, and Brighton scored into an open goal.

Ipswich was his worst game where he was probably to blame for 2 off the 3 goals.

That apart he has been Superman and is rated by many as the best GK outside the EPL.

20. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Apparently Marcus hasn't changed much since we watched him for the Colorado Rapids. When MH is on a hot streak, he was a wall. Then, out of the blue, he'd give up a soft goal on a stupid play. All a fan could do was shake their head and wonder WTF. Of course, all would be forgotten as he usually got onto another hot streak quickly...

As a fan, I'm hoping that Hahnemann is #2 for this trip to France. Hopefully, we will not see him play (I'd hate for ManU to lose their next bench warmer to injury)...

21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Generally, this is the outlook for keepers for the US over the next few years for our British friend.
    1) If Friedel, Keller and Howard maintain form, they will be the three. However,
    2) Will Keller really got to the Cup again as the number two behind Friedel or the three behind Friedel and Howard. Hard to say. He has a big ego_Or, if Keller loses form ... Or if friedel loses form ... or if Howard gets eaten by wild bears ....
    Then
    3) There is a veritable peleton of potential keepers who have not yet sorted themselves out in terms of rank. that group includes Cannon, Nick Rimando, Adin Brown, possibly Kevin Hartman (although he's on the outskirts, potentially young DJ Countess, and, certainly among them in my view, Marcus Hahnemann.

Personally, i can't see Keller going to the Cup again as a back up, so I think number 3 is very possible. Marcus is young enough to be the man. Will have to beat out some good keepers to do it, though. Maybe he should defect to England. they could use him.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For what it's worth, Soccertimes ratings favored MH 6.5 to 5.5.

23. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Ghost's answer is very good.

Friedel by a mile
    Keller next unless he opts out/is left off the team
    Howard third

Then a big logjam... basically, any MLS starter plus Hahnemann is in contention beyond those top three.

24. Bobplayed

Bobplayed New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Granville, Ohio
    Well not Onstead ;)