Who wants to be a WPS player?

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by WPS_Movement, Jul 1, 2010.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I don't watch wrestling, but I do remember the WWF had a thing called "Tough Enough" on MTV a few years back. If someone can go from a douche-bag couch-potato snack food eating amateur to a real contract as a WWF wrestler, then why not the same for a young lady becoming a WPS player. They can have 12 episodes (30 minutes each) on Fox Soccer Channel. 18-29 year ladies can come out to try out. They can go through the wars. They can give all they have. Final 13 girls are selected for the show (after auditioning and proving themselves in skill, athleticism, and camera presence). Remember 12 episodes. Therefore, each week someone is eliminated. The final two (in the final episode) go toe to toe (any creative "made for TV" way possible). In the end, one is left standing and guaranteed a one year contract in the WPS as a player (most likely developmental player, but they still get to travel and practice with the team).

This draws in the "male" soccer fans that watch Fox Soccer Channel. They could get hooked watching this show (with their feminine side, nearly all guys have one deep inside), and gives them direct exposure to WPS.

"So you wanna be a WPS player ... hey?"
    Could be the name of the reality TV show. It'll show just how tough it is and what they have to go through to achieve their dream.

It could be sponsored by "Pure Silk", or someone like that (feminine product).
    They could pay for the whole thing, so it's advertising for them.

Some of you might be asking, "Isn't soccer 11 vs. 11"?
    Yes. These 13 participants (in episode one) would play with and against current WPS players in pick-up games, drills, and conditioning, as well as mind games (and any other "reality TV" or "made for TV" events). Each week, some same and some different players in the WPS will chip in in terms of helping out and playing with and against these amateurs in all events (as featured in all 12 episodes). They could film it over the course of two to three weeks in September/October (after the WPS season). You can make 12 (30 minute) episodes out of that.

Players hold camps in the off-season for a week or two (or even more than one camp for some players). The players that don't have camps can participate in this in helping out.

EDIT:
    Could you imagine the "Pure Silk" Obstacle Challenge in Episode One?

2. p-nutz

p-nutz Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    This sounds very similar to already relatively successful (as far as I know, not sure they got big ratings) shows such as Football Icon (offered a contract with Chelsea to winner) and Football's Next Star (contract to Inter Milan) and would deliver the same opportunities to girls and women which has been available to boys for a while. Rooney's Street Striker was won by a girl in it's second season with 2 girls and 3 boys making it to the final after not being open to girls in it's first season.

wikipedia for Football's Next Star if you fancy a read.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football's_Next_Star

It'd be cool to watch. Although I'd hedge a guess that it'd take longer than 2-3 weeks to film and assess the players while gaining enough footage to fill 12 episodes with the "essentials" so to speak, such as the inevitable upset player, fall outs, highs after practices and contestants being star struck:p and of course match highlights rather than full matches.

Would definately be awesome if WPS could pull it off!

3. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Who's footing the bill?

4. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I love it! Earlier this season, I was thinking of a similar idea along the lines of "Can you beat the coach?" where you have guest coaches running a team. I think this was about the time Chicago was in trouble.

But this is a much much better idea. Hey, Simon, get on it!

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Pure Silk of course (or maybe it's Maybelline)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"For keeping legs curved and shaved - SEXY - as SILK - and PURE.
    PURE SILK will always turn your man on.
    Off with the fuzz, On with your man's buzz.

PURE SILK
    [​IMG]

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I mean seriously, Pure Silk could be interested in this.
    Nearly every youth girl playing soccer in America (all 20 million of them) will be exposed to watching this and seeing "Pure Silk" everywhere. Pure Silk can take the satisfaction in knowing they are reaching every young girl in America at a young age to position in their young minds that "Pure Silk" is the #1 shaving cream for young women, especially for young female athletes.

The power of advertising. I think Pure Silk (Barbasol) would go for it.
    They could see $$$$ from future sales among all these young girls growing up.
    Promote it as the current and next generation of shaving cream for women.
    Technically it's made by Barbasol, but their brand "Pure Silk" could take off even more and be certified as the #1 brand of shaving cream among young females and all females for years to come.

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Mmoved from WPS forum.

I'm growing weary of these kinds of threads. Not every idea warrants its own individual thread. And not every thread -- especially those on lighter topics like this -- needs to be in WPS.