Who to play as our "10"?

Discussion in 'Bolivia' started by Bolivianfuego, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    With the recent play of Vaca getting better, i def. see platini keeping him there, but i still fear when it comes to more physical teams will end up shutting him down because of his lack of weight and strength/size.

With that said, who do you guys think would work?

Personally Moreno for DC United has been playing excellent as a pulled back forward/offensive midfield, he is starting to get the hang of that position like Etch' did after losing his speed because of his surgeries. Moreno is the same, and i think would be an excellent A-Mid/number 10 playing at the top right behind the forwards.

Who else? Escobar from The Strongest would be nice to try, but last i heard he isnt full nationalized bolivian yet?? Is that true?

Limberg?? Hes too fat and too old. I rather play moreno. Darwin Pena?? Hes pretty good, wouldnt mind giving him another shot playing.

Ronald Gutierrez? He looked awsome vs. Paraguay. He would be another great option to try out.

What do you guys think?

2. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The only one on the National team that comes close is Vaca. Like you said he lack physical attributes and could cost us in games against "physical" teams. Moreno would be a good option but how long can he last? Unfortunatly the way I see it is that the #10 is dying out. Even in countries like Argentina and Brasil they are dying out. I mean look at the Argentine team, they play better without Riquelme, but Basile loves leaving him on because of their love affair. Brasil??? I doubt anyone would say Kaka is a #10. In the game today you need at least 8 players going up, and 8 coming back (Spain, LDQ, Brasil).

I Like Limberg, when he is on fire he is on fire. His freekicks are deadly, I am not ready to quit on him.

3. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes i agree on Limberg, but GOD DAMN! Whats up with that gut of his? Whats a matter with our System when we can let a player like that play professionally with his over weight, and play pro in our country and for the NAT. team?? Its embarrassing. I am surprised he hasnt been suspended as a result, he makes Ronaldo when fat look In decent shape.

He needs to lose it to play longer, run faster, etc. It really shows our countries lack on good education on stuff like weight loss, because i remember reading an article on how he stated he plays better bigger than when hes skinnier. Why?? Is that?? Huh?? Because the fool probably lost too mcuh weight too fast and lost muscle in the process!

Guys like this need to be taught how to loseweight the RIGHT way(combo of weight lifting while dieting and cardio, too much weight loss just doesnt burn fat but also muscle).

But back on topic. Yes the 10 is dying, its truely sad. There really isnt distributors of the ball like etcheverry or Pibe, and Aguinaga.

I think moreno can play for Bolivia, if he conserves energy like etchverry knew how. He didnt play much defense like most 10s, example riquelme, but a good DT knows how to reinforce that so they dont put a strain on them to play D.

Moreno could do this, and it seems is starting to get the hang of playing as a distributor, its taking a hit on his goals but who caers! For the national team he'd be great because he is used to physical play in the MLS and playing in England. He'd be better than Vaca granted Vaca is younger.

But i doubt Platini will do this.

4. sergtp

sergtp Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bolivianfuego good topic first of all, but back to business.
    At first I liked the idea of putting Limberg as our 10, but after seeing him in the qualifiers I have to say I changed my mind. I don't see him getting any better.
    As for Joselito Vaca, unless he goes on steroids I don't like the idea. Even though he is good as a #10, the bottom line is he is way too small. Plus he is never consistent, he dissapoints us in 9 out of 10 games.
    Now regarding the Moreno subject, I really like the idea but let's be realistic, Platini would NEVER do that.
    Personlly I think that the solution is Ronald Gutierrez, he was the #10 for La Paz FC and did great led them to a title. Now he currently plays the same position for Bursaspor in Turkey and seems to be doing well. I think his international experience and natural ability to lead is just what we need in Bolivia. Ronald Gutierrez would be our best option as a #10.
    Pablo Escobar, heard of him but haven't seen him play, seems very pasionate to play for our national team and would like to see him in our national team. Last I heard he was still waiting to be fully nationalized, but wants to play for us.
    My final solution is Ronald Gutierrez with this midfield.

Lorgio Alvarez Ronald Garcia Ronald Gutierrez Jhasmany Campos

5. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Limberg? you have to be kidding right? a fat undisciplined thirty something as our #10?, Che I don't know why you haven't given up on the guy, I gave up on him years ago. He's done, finished, he's got nothing to offer our national team. Let him go off to Greece collect his last paycheck and fade away from our national team forever.

Jaime Moreno I think is also a terrible idea. I'm sure you guys have seen him play more often for MLS than I have, but the times I've seen him this year and last year towards the end he was at best average and at worst just god awful. He's no #10 and I don't see the upside to letting him learn on the job, on the National team no less, when he's already 34? yrs old. The number one reason this is a terrible idea is La Paz, we all know he is terrible in La Paz. He knows it, everyone knows it. That's why Copa America was so important for him. He knew it was his last chance to shine for his country and make up for all those dissappearing acts with our national team. Era su revancha, he redeemed himself as our best player, but in La Paz? for 90 mins? in qualifiers? as our #10?....NO

I think our only real candidates are Gutierrez, Vaca(unfortunately), maybe Escobar, and god willing some kid from out of nowhere drops out of the heavens into our lap like M3 did.

6. AleBoliviano

AleBoliviano Member

Sep 14, 2007
    NOVA
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think Escobar is our solution. He is a left footed deadly #10. He has speed, technique and has been on fire these past seasons with The Strongest. To tell u the truth, im surprised Paraguay didn't call him up because he is a quality player. Not only does he set up options for goals, but he is takes some great free kicks(for goals) and he would be great to replace L. Gutierrez. Besides the fact that he is fast and perfect for the position, i wouldn't mind seeing R. Guitirrez as #10. But i think Pablo Escobar is our savior.

7. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, escobar could be it or gutierrez. Vaca not so much, he played really well vs. paraguay becasue of the space and non-agressive defending(and horrendus) they had against us.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If Vaca is the best we have at #10 I'm gonna start following the Chinese. :D

9. sergtp

sergtp Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For god's sake just put Ronald Gutierrez or Pablo Escobar as our #10.

10. MarcoM3

MarcoM3 BigSoccer Supporter

May 14, 2007
    Reyes, Beni
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I got news for you fellas...we ain't got a number 10. The closest thing to one in its purest form is Darwin Peña, but the guy despite really good showings in recent copa libertadores an sudamericana playing for San Jose and Real Potosi, does not get called up to the national team or get to play abroad because of its repeated alcohol issues.

Don't loose hope, though...I am training hard.:cool:

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^hahaha

I hear that!

12. sergtp

sergtp Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My money is still on Ronald Gutierrez, he led La Paz FC to the libertadores, I'm sure he can lead our national team to win some games.

13. AleBoliviano

AleBoliviano Member

Sep 14, 2007
    NOVA
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I just realized that moreno wouldn't do so bad if he was a #10. If u guys watched the dc united game vs. Atlante, he was playing more of a #10 then a forward and was creating some phenomenal passes to Emilio(who sucks ass) and Doe. Not only that, he has so much footwork and technique, that he was able to get out of situations and pull players. Even though we lost the match, Moreno proved to me these past games that he could be a great candidate for the #10 spot or an enganche.

We could play a 4-3-1-2 so J. Moreno the feed the forwards.

Forward #1/////////////Forward#2

Jaime Moreno

Mid #1////MId#2//////MId#3

Def. #1///////Def.#2///////Def.#3///////Def.#4

Goalie

BY the way, i still prefer Escobar over anybody, lol

Viva Bolivia

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, escobar is faster, i dunno about better in the ball, moreno has been playing great in that position.

But hes getting old, i wouldnt mind giving him the shot vs. Brasil or colombia. We will not be in la paz....

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Jaime's biggest strength now is holding the ball with his back to the goal. He does have some speed left in the tank but not much. I'd like to see him with M3 and Arce making runs off the ball. While this is all speculation and fun to dream about it's certainly not realistic in a way to solidify the #10 for our future. We need someone there to build around for the next 10 years or so. We're just about out of time for South Africa.

16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree. Moreno would just be a quick band-aid for our problem.

17. atsegnorts

atsegnorts Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Falls Church
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    NO way dude moreno sucks he should retire, he has no speed, you guys have been watching to much mls. think about what you guys are saying that even though the lost 3-2 he still did decent. he is horrible(choke artisit miss pk) i think he should be benched at dc. lets be realistic and modernize our way of thinking. there is no longer a number 10, look at brazil, italy france spain no one guy in the middle runs the team. its all played on the sidlines speed and touches.

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    First pk he's missed in 25 attempts, not too shabby. As far as speed goes, MLS is one of the faster leagues around and he certainly holds his own in it. I don't see where SA qualifying is any faster and might even be slower in some instances. And he did score a golazo in Venezuela. He might not be the player he once was but he's not a piece of shit either and 10 times better than Vaca will ever be.

19. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Well I'm no Moreno at the 10 fan AT ALL, but I wouldn't go that far atseg. LOL sounds like you lost money on that game:p I agree with Chico that some MLS games might be faster than some qualifying games, but the gap in technical skill is laughable, although MLS is still much underrated. I didn't see that game you guys are talking about, but from my understanding isn't that tourney just glorified friendlies, with the Mexican teams out of season and fielding young/bech players. If so than I wouldn't put too much stock in Morenos performance as #10 in that type of environment.

Moreno is not our answer, I respect him for his play and his service to our national team, but he's really been dissappointing for the green jersey, and I gotta say I'm still selfishly pissed he left Europe for MLS. in his prime no less, and when MLS was full of guys that worked at local malls, although that's probably still somewhat true:eek:. I blame Etch for that too. Worked out well for him and his family, but as far as our national team, nada, nothing, zip, zilch.

PS - Vaca sucks:D

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah Nilo, I'm pretty sure we're talking hypotheticals anyway. Who the hell knows what's rattling around Sanchez's head. Right now he's just throwing bodies at different problem areas. I think once we're done with our dream of South Africa we need to formulate a long range plan and work our youth to set a standard of what we want our futbol to be. Of course we've been saying that same old crap for 100 years now. :rolleyes:

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes, moreno is slow, but he still has above average ball handling skill, ATS when was the last DC Game you watched? It seems like you have something against him? Is it cause hes from Santa Cruz LOL!

But with that said, he still can hold and distribute better than vaca. Yes he will probably get gassed, early but its worth a shot. I mean come on! Lets try it out at some friendlies.

22. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    C'mon Fuego, worth a shot? for what purpose, to what end?
    We're in the first quarter of qualifying, and we're probably already out, what would be the purpose of trying him out at #10, that would have been a nice experiment about 5 years ago. Clock is ticking on his career, we know he can't play in La Paz, where we need most our points, so I just don't see the logic.

Chico is right, Platini just seems like he's playing a video game out there, pluggin in random people in problem areas, no real logical reason. As Chico said it's the same mantra as always, "we're already out, let's move on and start from the bottom with a real change" I should have that tattooed on my cars bumper:(

Damn it don't any of you know any promising #10's. C'mon people let's get pro active here. Fuego don't u play in a Bolivian league, I don't know anything about it but I'd put their best #10 over Vaca, sight unseen. Chico do Etch's kids play, any talent left in that gene pool? get your rollodexes out folks start dialing.

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, i agree. My passion for the bolivians in this area caught up to me. That wouldnt be smart.

I guess they gotta keep experimenting with guys like Escobar, R. Gutiererz and Vaca. Other than that there is no one else to plug in there. What if we try somethign like this out though?

Yes i play, not in the bolivian league though.... too many thugs out there that are outta shape and play dirty.

And about Etch';s kids nah they arent serious about the sport like him.

I think we are about done though when it comes to number 10s. :(

With tat said, what about this formation? 4-4-2? No middle guy, just two wingers and two def. mid's in probably Nacho and..... whoever. El conejo could play on the right dorward spot and drag back to distribute as i seen if anyone has a good passing skill it is him, or botero if he is playing there. Martins too actually played very well with Cruz. and showed great passing vision, he could work there too. Cabera and the rest of our forwards though are out and out goal scorers. Thats about it.

--------------------xxxxx-----------------xxxxxxx

xxxxx-------------------------------------------------------xxxxxxxxx

-----------------xxxxxxxxx-------------xxxxxxxxxx--------------------

xxxxxx--------------xxxxxxxxxx-----------xxxxxxx--------------xxxxxx

----------------------------xxxxxxxxxx------------------------------

24. atsegnorts

atsegnorts Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Falls Church
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Hey guys i am not a mls basher, its better then not having soccer at all in the states but sometiems you have to stop living up there and start living down here. The mls might be fast but look at the game as a whole its dry dead and sometimes boreing. i like moreno i think he is a better representation of bolivians as a whole then marco any day. but his time has come and gone. i do remember moreno playing copa america last summer giving it all agains the uruguays, peruvians and venezula, and what was the end result!!! out in three games. we need to look forward and not backward same with alot of the players like bomba. i just think you guys are really in the clouds when it comes to moreno. and i don't mean that with any malice to him or the mls.

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dude, you totally are 'That Guy' I used to have to talk to in bolivia, totally snuffing MLS(no offense). Yes it is no Argentina, much players lack touch, technical skills, but its speed and strength is what makes it what it is. If you cant appreciate that then i can understand. But to down the league as crap, or to even say the US would be better wtihout it???? ARE YOU SERIOUS???!?! The MLS is comparable to the EPL, think of it in that sense, just a lower grade.

Moreno's ability to still keep up with the speed and perform decent vs. top Mexican teams who tend to dominate Copa Libertadores shows his ability to keep up up to 70mins.