Who to pair with MB

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by rtung, Jun 22, 2010.

1. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    I think this is an intriguing dilemma (more of one) because the round of 16 game will follow after the Algeria game with only 2-3 days of rest. That means that if Edu or Clark start and go 90 against Algeria, I would not start them in the Round of 16 game (because their high-energy style of play would drain them too much). Yet JFT isn't an option in the Round of 16 game (IMHO), because whoever the opponent will be (Germany, Serbia, or Ghana will be too physically imposing).

The Algeria game, however, is tailor-made to JFT's skills. I don't think it's a coincidence that JFT's best performances for the USMNT have come in the second half against tiring skillful but physically unimposing Latin/Middle Eastern teams (Turkey & CR).

Thus I think the choices are
    1. Start JFT; replace with Edu at the half if it isn't working. Edu or Clark in the Round of 16.
    2. Start Clark; replace with JFT at the half if it isn't working. If Clark plays 90, start Edu in the Round of 16.

BTW, I regard Clark & Edu as practically interchangable (Edu is more versatile in that he can play CB (somewhat) & is a little better at controlling the ball; Clark can score from distance and can affect a game more when he's on). Edu's versatility actually makes him a better strategic reserve (if we need to change formations, or one of our CB's get in to card trouble), so I'd prefer starting Clark.

Thoughts?