Who Stole Our Game?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Bucky-O'Hare, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Just wondering if anyone has read this book yet?

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2007/0122/wheland.html

http://193.120.211.33/Ecom/Library3...A5F6E430CBDF5913802571B10030A20D?OpenDocument

I just finished reading it a few weeks ago. It's deffinitly a must read for any Irish football fan and offers a real insight into the wheelings and dealings of the FAI, the golden era of the fifties and the general fall of the league of Ireland.

However, if I have any criticism of the book it is that there is too much focus on Dublin. I'd say there is about 2 chapters dedicated to Rovers and Drumcondra (Drums, R.I.P)

Even if you don't follow the Eircom League it is still a very good book to read for any Irish football fan!

I recommend that you get your hands on a copy.

2. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Any EL fan with a bit of research could write the same. Nothing new really. The quote from an FAI official about supporting liverpool was from that twat Pat Quigley. Absolute embarrassment.

KOH

3. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Is that who it was :eek: I wasn't expecting it to have come from someone so high up!!!! At least Delaney wouldnt say that so thats a bit of progress, lol.

For those who havent read it, there was some tournament in Dublin a few years back. I think it was one of those preseason things.

An FAI official while being interviewed said that he was glad that his team was playing in it. The reporter respnded by asking if he was a Saint Pats supporter, to which he replied, "Oh no Liverpool is my team!" Or something like that, I cant be bothered to find the actual quote.

4. IrishRed

IrishRed New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Must say I found it to be a fairly interesting read alright. Saying that I'm a child of the 80s so I can't really comment on whether or not there's an obvious bias at play in regard to how he covers the events of years gone by.

5. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Same hear (80's child). I knew nothing about the majority of what was in the book. I never went out of my way to find out about the fai or the rovers and drums history. i was never interested enough to go out of my way to find out that sort of stuff but it was good to know.