Who should you support? Country or Club?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by UnionFreak1, May 30, 2012.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Some of us come from a time when there was no choice and the USMNT was essentially the only club we knew. On top of that there was a certain edge, proving to the world that we belonged on the world stage. We needed to prove ourselves and we did. That gave a generation of fans a very unique connection to the USMNT.

Some of you didn't live through that and might not understand it. That said, I'm still club before country.

redinthemorning and Blu N Houston repped this.
  2. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was passionate first for the USMNT before the Dynamo came around.
    So for me it's Country over Club.
    I agree but in the big picture of things I think it's complete BS that the US Soccer Fed and MLS would even set up matches at the sametime let alone the same day.

3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Both clubs over country :D

Although people often seem to mistake club over country for not supporting the country.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this.

Far too many meaningless country games. Plus I have no emotional need to prove the US is better than other countries.

5. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    I say club, especially if it's a matter of seeing one or the other in person. But if it happened to be USA vs England, then country.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

“We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the supporter's group, and we're talking about a friendly.”

“I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about a friendly, not a qualifier, not playing Mexico, not every other Gold Cup, but we're talking about a friendly.”

“Not the actual match that I go out there and die for and stand and chant every minute like it's my last, but we're talking about a friendly, man.”

“How silly is that?”

“Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that, but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about a friendly.”

“We're talking about a friendly, man. We're talking about a friendly. We're talking about a friendly."

“We're not talking about a league match. We're talking about a friendly.”

“When you come to the ground, and you see me chant, you've seen me chant right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about a friendly right now.”

“Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too, but we're talking about a friendly man, we're not even talking about the match, when it actually matters, we're talking about a friendly.”

7. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying anything less than Country is blasphemic to me. Ofcourse, I dont have a Florida team to support though... (dont mention lower levels, I live too far from Tampa & Ft Laudy to support that low of a level, no offence to NASL fans)

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much.

I mean, if I'm actually put to the test of Club vs Country, I'm almost always going to put my viewing in whatever order makes it more likely to watch both matches in their entirety, without my viewing of the first one pissing away the score of the second one. Example: If in the circumstance where the Crew are playing at 7:30 eastern, and the Nats are playing a qualifier at 7:30 eastern, but the Crew are on Fox and the nats are on ESPN, I'm going to be more interested in the Nats, but I'm probably going to watch the Crew first, because if I watch the Nats first, ESPN has that damn crawl that's going to ruin the score of the Crew game for me. But I'm a lot more likely to get out of the Crew game still in the dark on the score of the Nats game if I go the other way around.

Sometimes, this instant technology stuff actually works against us.

And when one of those games is taking place somewhere that involves my attending IN PERSON, I go. And just try to avoid the score of the other one at all costs.

But if you waterboarded me and asked me, "Club or Country?" My answer would depend on the circumstances. I think of myself as Club more often, because my club plays every week, I go to their matches, I have a connection to their players, I buy their jerseys, I know who they are, attending matches is part of my life -- it's just who I am. But if the USMNT is in town, it's a major event that I get pumped up for more than the overwhelming majority of league matches. And on TV, I tend to glue myself to the screen for them because watching them isn't something I get to do with the frequency of club ball.

In short -- there's no easy answer.

9. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Country. :)

Historically, I have more emotion invested in them than my club.

10. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your thoughts on friendlies?

11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally, or after tonight?

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general? I see plenty of emotion over friendly results, whether justified or not. Like tonight's 0-0 result. Because I've chosen to not get emotional (due to this team not WOWing me mainly) I'm like, meh, just give me my damn MLS weekends back already.

asoc and Jasonma repped this.
  13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, generally I care more about the National Team's form than the Union's form. I do not like to miss even one US friendly, whereas I've missed most Union friendlies. The USMNT is what turned me into a fan of the sport to begin with; becoming a fan of the National Team made me start paying attention to the game elsewhere--causing me to start following MLS well before Philly had a team. To put it into more perspective, I've been a Yanks Abroad fan longer than the Union has been around. So given all that, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's not really a stretch for my first allegiances to remain with my country rather than my club. US Soccer is my first soccer love.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, the recession is older than the Union.

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I can't say I'm much of a fan of FC Recession.

evilmonkeycmand repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, they do seem to be getting a little better as time goes on.

lurpythepirate, SixKick and CyphaPSU repped this.
  17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's bigger BS is that FIFA scheduled 150 match days a year for non-competitive games

Flex Buffchest, 15 to 32 and Jasonma repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you imagine what would have happened to them if we had pro/rel?

19. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pan American Cup: Coming soon to a pitch near you

20. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Galaxy, Club America, USMNT!!

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was there an MLS match today I'm unaware of?

22. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past. Like last weekend Dynamo vs LA ,USA vs The Scotts.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you can have one Saturday where the whole league stands down, I'll be damned if you're going to get two. The Scotland match wasn't on a FIFA date.

MLS has done a much better job lately of not scheduling games on FIFA dates (especially qualifiers, but also this weekend, which was a FIFA date), because of people who split their britches bitching about how terrible it was.

Note to national team coaches: schedule games not on official FIFA dates at your own peril. We have a league to run here. We're not going to frigging stand down a whole league for the handful of players you're going to take for a frigging friendly all the time.

KensingtonSC repped this.
  24. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do have to say that the analysis and soccer knowledge on the MLS boards far surpasses that of the USMNT boards. I have to remember to be more disciplined and ignore them next time the USMNT plays. What a collection of know-it-alls.

25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Despite my normal practice & your warning I took a look at a forum there. It's worse than the Current Events & Politics forum.