Who should replace Brian Kerr

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by IrishGary, Oct 13, 2005.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    George Burley today resigned as manager of Hearts. A possible replacement for Kerr? A good manager, IMO, but to be honest I think he's destined for Rangers.

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow... that's an odd one. Hopefully McLeish stays at Rangers and we get a half-shot at Burley, he knows how to make due with limited resources as he has shown at other clubs (Hearts, Derby & Ipswich).

3. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  4. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  5. eirebhoy

eirebhoy New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Dublin
    The FAI will definitely not get anyone better than Kerr. Stupid rash decision.

6. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Not that he was a realistic option anyway- but I reckon Keanos just about ruled himself totally out of the job by slagging off 2 potential future squad (tho part of me wishes that better players replace them, or they both find that long lost form) members in Miller and O'Shea

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  8. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I doubt it would happen, but that would be more than a good appointment; that would be unbelievable! Hiddink is one of the best coaches in the world, and is a master of making a team combine to more than the sum of it's parts, as well as working with youngsters. Add to that the fact that he is proven as an international coach, and there would almost be no better possible coaches we could get than him.

I wouldn't hold my breath, mind you...

9. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    If we can pull that off it would be a serious coup. We'd definately be a lot more convenient geographically than Australia, and it would be easier to keep tabs of our players in one country (which would mean much less hassle for him, assuming that he also wanted to keep his PSV job).

And, dare I say it, we'd be more prestigious than Australia - after the World Cup obviously, if they get there (personally, I hope they do).

Seriously. This would be the ideal appointment.

10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Lets hope Uruguay does the business this week!

11. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Staunton is now the odds on favourite.

12. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Any update on the search for a candidate for the head job?

13. IrishGary

IrishGary New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cork, Ireland
    Kevin Kegan is now being looked at. I think the chances of Hiddink coming here are gone. Bobby Robson also said in the Irish papers that he is really interested. New outside bets are Roy Keane, Alain Perrin, Rudi Voller and :rolleyes: Roddy Collins (who everything and everybody he touches gets relegated)

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    As an aside, Kerr (as well as current Northeren Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez) is reportedly going to be holding talks with Portsmouth over the vacant managerial position.

15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How about Bobby Robson with Venebles and Keegan as his assistants? All ex-England managers. No Graham Taylor though :p

16. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    OK just to let people know, Merson joked during the week about Staunton being the next Ireland manager apparantly theres been no contact and him and Staunton have no idea where the gossip has come from.

There was a good article in the Times the other day, about how its the bookmakers who keep ringing all the papers and saying how they are "about to stop taking bets on...." add any former English manager (even Keegan who ppl seem to forget stated he isnt up to international management) or any other unemployed ex Irish player.

The whole point being the FAI actually havent as of yet (altho maybe now that theyve set u a friendly for March they may make a move)made any move or approached anyone (other then, some say, a sounding out approach to ONeill), but the bookies need the story to stay in the news to keep people betting and so keep ringing the papers with thier "almost stopping taking bets" stories and other rumours.

17. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    So, why did we sack Kerr again?

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Cos he was shite........

19. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    But what if his successor is worse?

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
  21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    It can only get better.

22. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

or "Back to the Future"

23. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    I could be wrong (but im not) but when Kerr took over were we a team that was ranked first!!!!!!! according to UEFA even if we were playing ******** and had lost to Russia and unluckily after the last throw of the dice to the Swiss????? Now after 2 and three quater years in charge we are ranked 4th!!!!! To me that is a failure no matter what Kerr (and Ive watched the interview where media,fans and robbie has been blamed) says- itsd time for a new influence