Who should replace Brian Kerr

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by IrishGary, Oct 13, 2005.

1. IrishGary

IrishGary New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cork, Ireland
    who should be the next irish manager??

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I think Pat Fenlin would be our best realistic option, tbh. The only question is, would he leave Shels? And if he tried to hold both spots, it could all end in tears.

3. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    After the shambles that was this campaign, I think we need a strong, proven manager. Or at the least, someone who most of the players will have heard of. Fenlon could make it eventually, but his tactics in the CL qualifiers have been questionable enough at times to make it hard to think that he can cope with international football. He's at the start of his managerial career, so he has plenty of time to learn the ropes, and he'll get another chance if he's good enough.

Of the rest - I don't think Sanchez fits the bill, and he wouldn't leave the North to come to us anyway. Roy Keane has absolutely no managerial experience, and 8 games a year is a horrible approach to learning. We deserve better than that. Liam Brady doesn't want it, and I'm not even sure why he's being suggested. Mick McCarthy is happy at Sunderland, and I don't see why he'd come back to a job that he spent 7 years doing. Dave O'Leary doesn't want it right now.

Martin O'Neill would be great, but it would all depend on his personal situation. Maybe the lack of day-to-day management that comes with running a club would appeal to him in the circumstances, but who knows? Alex Ferguson, although a long shot, would be a real coup. This could well be his last season in charge at Old Trafford, and he may want to bow out with a less pressurised but equally challenging job. He may also want another crack at international management. Again, though, who knows if he could be bothered?

4. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Who is voting for Roy? You cannot be serious, he is great player but he has no experience at running a club let alone national team. This should be a serious poll. While I voted for O'Neill I think Billy is right in that Fenlin might be our next best option.

5. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Should be O'Neill Id even take Fergie, OLeary, Sanchez or even Capello, Luxemburgo or Mouriniho- wont get any of em tho!!

Realistically we're most likely come Christmas to be betting tween likes of Stapleton, Aldridge, Whelan and your token Englishman whos done well recently like Steve Coppell

6. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why does everybody leave out Niall Quinn?
    I heard he has a camp in Ireland, I am sure he would make a good coach. As for Roy, he hasnt even retired from football (he still plays for Man Utd)

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Has Quinn ever managed or even coached, at any professional level?

8. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    http://www.discopants.freeserve.co.uk/

Has Roy Keane?

9. Reverie

Reverie New Member

May 24, 2005
    Steve Nicol. He's played in World Cups and won everything with Liverpool and for the last three years he's done a fantastic job in MLS managing a team owned by a miser under an odd system where he can't buy or sell his own players. He's a parsimonious Scot and utterly sensible. Of course he's a Rangers supporter but the money would be better than he's seeing in America.

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    They're hardly sterlign credentials. As for Keane, he has his badge but isn't coaching yet - he'll either be great or crap, no middle of the road for him, imho.

Of course, anybody who thinks Keane should be our next manager is off their rocker.

11. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Bryan Robson's fairly middle of the road.

12. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, but he's a much more relaxed, easy-going man off the field than Roy, Sounness or Fergie ever were.

13. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Next please!

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    :confused:

15. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I do not want to see Robson running this outfit. I have never been a fan, that's all i am saying really.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Like it or not, managing Ireland is not one of the plum jobs in European football. Getting a name, such as Hitzfeld, Ferguson or even O'Neill perhaps, would be more about their willingness to take the job than anything else.

17. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Alright, fair enough. He wouldn't come here anyway, but to not class him as at least a fairly average manager after what he did with West Brom last season is a little odd.

18. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Do you want Sven? :D

19. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's not even funny :mad:

20. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Wouldn't that be a step backwards? :p

Tell you what, you can have Kerr after the World Cup if you give us....ooh, let's say Frankie Lampard. He and Gerrard can't play together anyway!

21. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    ah come on billy mate

jeez another LOI guy

rememebr when Shels were knocked out bythat maltese side...oouchh

22. Philo

Philo New Member

May 31, 2004
    Dublin
    Like it or not, the eircom League IS Irish football. The sooner folks recognise that, the sooner Ireland will move on again as a footballing nation. We can no longer rely on England to take all our 15 year olds away from school and eventually produce some sort of national team. They can't afford it and it's backfiring on us big time. The sooner we have a properly run structure from schoolboys to youths to international seniors, the better it will be for everyone. The anti-LOI brigade are mindless and blind if they insist on following foreign leagues but expecting results at World Cups and Euro Championships. Even Dunphy grudgingly admitted so on RTE this evening.

23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    OK, you go ahead and bring up a better suggestion, and it's got to be realistic (no O'Neills, Fergusons, etc).

24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Anyone who stops us playing the longball. When our best 3 forwards (Keane, Elliot, Morrison) are all under 6ft tall, we need to play on the ground.

25. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales

fair enuff mate
    and i agree with you...we should support our own league...i do

but the fact is that the LOI is run like a joke...they even make the GAA look proffessional (which is funny!)

my home team out in the country has a squad of 20 or more....roughly 18 are from dublin...where is the local development there?
    go to atlone/longford...how many local lads are getting their chances?

at least the english teams develop our guys up to a certain level