who should i support?

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by chocolate, Mar 30, 2004.

1. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    i decided to watch mls this yr but who should i support? i need to know a liitle about each one and i know nothing!!! when is the leage starting?

2. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Pretty simple really. The San Jose Earthquakes are usually considered underdogs but they've been the best team in the league for three years. Their soccer is usually attractive, a team-oriented passing game with fleet, unpredictable attackers (including one genuine superstar kid who scored three goals at the last World Cup.)

They play in an intimate craphole that is essentially the MLS version of the Boston Garden. They're coached by local youth soccer products who also played for the club. They're not red or black and they're not from Chicago. To top it off they are perennially kicked in the teeth by The Man - and apparently need fans more than the rest of the MLS just to keep their club in existence.

Welcome aboard.

3. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Congratulations on deciding to support the most exciting soccer league on the planet! May I make a humble recommendation that your team of choice be the Los Angeles Galaxy.

The Galaxy have maintained a level of excellence that is unequaled in all of Major League Soccer, amassing the Supporter's shield, MLS Cup, US Open Cup, and the Concacaf Champions Cup at various points in their history. Their overall record of 130-83-24 is tops in Major League Soccer by a wide margin, and with recent acquisitions of Jovan Kirovski, Andreas Herzog, and a successful off-season draft, the Galaxy look poised to continue their winning ways.

All of this success has been accomplished by the most likeable, work-a-day folks ever assembled on one soccer team. Guys like Carlos Ruiz, Cobi Jones, Danny Califf, and Chris Albright simply go out onto the pitch week after week, working hard in the name of true sportsmanship and entertaining their loyal fan base.

Our stadium, the Home Depot Center (lovingly referred to as "Victoria Street") has been called America's own soccer cathedral, and the quality of the pitch, the stands, the concessions, and the surroundings all attest to this assessment.

Galaxy fans are some of the best behaved in the league. While showing spirited support of their side, they always have a complimentary word for the opposition, never resorting to vulgarity, drunkeness, or coarse behavior. Yes, this respect for the game and its traditions reaches up into the supporters clubs, too, with the Galaxians and their more vocal bretheren, the Riot Squad acting as models of good conduct for the rest of the packed house. Even juvenile attempts at thuggery by rival supporters' groups are thwarted with good cheer and calls to mutual love for the game. You may notice here on Big Soccer that this sense of decorum continues onto the message boards, as well.

Yes, young Chocolate, make your decision carefully. With so many good teams out there, any one you pick will be a good decision. I will give one word of advice, though: look at the team's players. Consider, do you really want to be associated with thugs, divers, and general ne'er-do-wells like Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley, and Bobby Convey? I wouldn't. Stick with a team with real sportsmen: The Los Angeles Galaxy.

4. Mike Silver

Mike Silver New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Hartford
    Don't ask these guys. They'll just try and get you to root for their teams, and that will probably mean you'll become a fan of either the most popular team, or a team from the South or West because people there are creepy friendly and a bit boastful.

Just try and find a connection to a team and follow it.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Look at all the team badges, chocolate. Which one has the most stars above it? That should answer all your questions.

6. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    lol thank u all so much but i decieded to support D.C united!! i might change my mind but i have to watch them play first!!

7. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    kayfa haluk ya Kuwaiti?? ( i lived in Saudi and picked up a little Arabic).

Chicago Fire are a great team with a top offense and a solid defense. We have national teams members like DemArcus Beasley, Chris Armas and Ante Razov. Damani Ralph was an offensive threat as a rookie and we are always in the hunt for the title. ( we lost in the final last year to the San jose Quakes).

Salaam.

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Too bad you didn't see last Saturday's DC game. Any doubts would be erased.

9. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    haha lol in kuwait we say shloonik? the kaif al hail is way to posh for me!!! i know who beasly is but i aint sure about the rest!! hmm i have to watch!!

10. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget about the stars as well. The Fire have won before yet we don't put stars on our crest. Hell, San Jose has won it twice and I don't think they even use them. Stars are for teams that play ugly soccer and try desperately to cling to past glory.

11. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    Welcome Glad your with us man

DC United represents more than those three championship rings if you look at all the great players that have worn our uniforms or the great teams outside this country that we have beat you will realize you made an awesome choice

again thanks for joining dc united

12. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    thanx for welcoming me (im not a man im a woman). anyways i know nothing about d.c. united but i will start learning :)

13. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    oh excuse me i guess i was writting before thinking :)

14. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot to mention the part about becoming Club America de San Jose and/or the impending move to another city that actually has a fan base.

15. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Wrong on all counts. Even the smurfs know that if you've got it, you should flaunt it. Hell, we're being conservative with just counting MLS Cups. We could put another 3 up there if we really wanted to. But we know there a lot of fans of other teams out there that would get their feelings hurt if they had to witness the full majesty of DC United's past week in and week out. I know it must be embarassing for you.....erm.....them.

16. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hey Chocolate!

Its nice to have you aboard. While times have been tough here in DC things are looking up. We also have some friends in your part of the world. DC United fans are passionate the world over! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    how would you be able to watch msl games all the way from kuwait? you getting the mls league pass? lol :D

18. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    can you say photoshop?? :D

lol jk ;)

19. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    thanx for the warm welcome! i know a couple of dc fans here, maybe we should send our pic :p

20. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    u idiot we have phela fox sports channel they dont have all the games on but they have atleast one!

21. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    I don't think you should support anyone yet. Wait 1 more year when Chivas USA gets into MLS and then you can support them. They are predestined to dominate mls.

22. Carlsberg King

Carlsberg King New Member

May 16, 2004
    I've just started watching MLS but DC United are just the best to watch

Click Here

23. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great choice on a team to follow. :cool:

24. ChangeT

ChangeT Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Chicago
    Can't say as I agree with you ButlerBob. I'd have to say that the Fire is a better team to follow. By the way, what team do you have season tickets for ButlerBob? :p

25. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    Finally someone with common sense :cool:

Glad to have you on board