Who should Captain England

Discussion in 'England' started by timberley11, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Sol has been injured for large chunks of the season and terry isnt exactly the quickest player around and were talking about for england here and out of the three sol has been the best performer of the three (over the past seasons) Look at the likes of maldini and stam who are'nt exactly the youngest and quickest defenders in the world, how good are they again??
    The sol and rio partnership is the best partnership for england that is just my opinion im sure others disagree.

2. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Terry is quicker than Sol and significantly younger - chances are he will continue to improve up to 2006 whereas Sol appears to be going downhill.

Agreed that Sol has been great in the past but what has that got to do with a competition in 15 months time?

Maldinin and Stam are great defenders - but that doesn't change the fact that Sol has been outstripped by both Terry and Rio this season.

3. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    I've been hugely impressed with Terry's performances for Chelsea this season but have yet to see him have a truly outstanding game in an England shirt. In Portugal last summer I thought he was average at best.

Sol, on the other hand, has been absolutely immense in every tournament he has played in. I agree that past performances should not be a de facto guarantee of inclusion in the side, but he has been there and done it.

4. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    This is the key to the enigma - Sol and Rio compliment each other and look comfortable together, but JT is completely different, he wants action, now, which the other 2 would rather play down. JT is by far the most accomplished player amongst them all at the moment, but looks most effective when partnering Ledley, which, accepting previous arguments about Sven's lack of adventure, lead one to assume he will almost certainly go with the explicit option, rather than the implicit - feckin wanker :(

Even I, can't argue with this, although I think Sol is now a spent force!

5. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    How old is sol again?? sol has plenty of years left in him.

6. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    Why? So many of the most talented players ever seem to talk complete rubbish; their understanding of the game of football vanishes without trace the instant they leave the pitch.

Pele is the perfect example; Luiz felipe Scolari himself said that "He has done nothing as a coach and all his analysis always turn out to be wrong. If you want to win a title, you have to listen to Pele and then do the opposite."

If you want to learn from a 'legend', watch them play but ignore anything they say.

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Terry wasn't fit for that tournament - he wasn't fit enough to even play in the first game.

8. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    He is still yet to have a really great game for england though.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Engl

CS Cowdrey (1, 0, 1, 0)

TESTS
    (career)
    M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
    Batting & Fielding 6 8 1 101 38 14.42 36.07 0 0 5 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
    Bowling 66.3 2 309 4 77.25 2-65 0 0 99.7 4.6

NZ.

Lee germon. Brought straight into test team as captain on basis of being most successful domestic captain. Unmitigated disaster. Forever having to prove that he was good enough to be in the side, let alone with the authority to captain.

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    it is quite hard to judge his form playing in front of muppets between the sticks and cygan alongside.

11. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne

Yeah, but my point was that - whatever the reason - he hasn't necessarily done enough for England yet to warrant displacing Sol, who is always one of our outstanding tournament players.

12. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did you forget Sol McCampell, or do you not think he would make a good captain, yeah?

Revelian

13. beckham_rox

beckham_rox New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Toronto
    i would say beckham...its not about being the best on the team to be captain its about their leadership and beckham is one of the players on england that has played pro for a while and has experience

i wouldnt pick rio ferdinand has captain because of his legal problems lately and has just come back from his suspension and i think needs to get back to how he was before the suspension

14. Flash2

Flash2 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    England
    Rios probably better now than he was before his suspension.

15. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Beckham should definately still be the Captain. The other players like him and look up to him, especially the younger ones.

16. slimshady69

slimshady69 New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    the meadows ghetto
  17. Marcusofplymouth

Feb 15, 2005
    Janner town
    Beckham for now but John terry or Frank Lampard in the near future.

18. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US
    Beckham for sure. Then Gerrard