Who should Captain England

Discussion in 'England' started by timberley11, Nov 10, 2004.

1. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Which he SHOULD be. At the moment, John Terry is playing significantly better than Rio Ferdinand.

He's the captain of a team that has let in 4 goals in 13 league games FFS! The next lowest tally is 10!

2. timberley11

timberley11 New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    With Becks wanting more caps I guess he will be keeping the armband for a while. Whilst Sven is still in charge Spice Boy will be captain.

3. TeddyBear

TeddyBear New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Bonnie Scotland
    Argentina in 98, blah blah blah.... SIX YEARS AGO! It wasn't even that good of a goal anyway.

He's on a great run just now, 7 goals in 8 games I believe? And a goal against Brazil.... So you base that Michael Owen should be captain on the fact that he has scored 9 goals. Ha

Gary Neville, Steven Gerrard or Beckham should be captain. Can't go wrong with either.

(Yes, I am Scottish.)

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Which is why no-one cares what you think. Haven't you got a Walter Smith poster to be drooling over?

Owen's Argentina goal "not very good". Saying that he's only scored 9 goals.... only a scottish tosser could be this thick and pointless.

5. TeddyBear

TeddyBear New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Bonnie Scotland
    Oh right, aye... good one there.

I didn't say he's scored ONLY 9 goals, i was asking churchill's reasoning behind thinking that Owen should be captain BASED on 9 of his goals that he's scored in the last 6 years.

Now piss off you smug little twat.

6. ttman17

ttman17 New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Franky all the way!

7. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Beckham, till 2006, then Gerrard.

8. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    I would say Gerrard. He is consistently brilliant for Liverpool, and has played a lot for England. I would choose him over Neville because Gerrard is so much more of an inspirational player, and I think a good captain needs that quality at least to some degree

Realistically, Beckham is going to be captain until 2006. Sven-Goran-Eriksson didn't have the guts to sub him off at the Euros, he won't have the guts to take away the captaincy

9. owen41099

owen41099 New Member

Apr 28, 2002
    Powder Springs, GA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Unquestionably, Gerrard. He is - by far - England's best player and - by far - the best suited to the captain's armband. Stevie = Bobby Moore, Bryan Robson, Paul Gasgoigne, and Trevor Brooking rolled into one.

But, I agree Sven won't take the captaincy away from Beckham until he gets injured, or either SGE or DB quits.

By then, we may be talking about Rooney, Defoe or someone else who hasn't yet come into the team.

10. MrZedd

MrZedd New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Gerrard will be named captain in Sep. 2006. Bank on it.

11. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    You are having a fcuking chuckle my friend - John Terry ring a bell, Ledley King, Ashley Cole, Michael Owen and of course Stevie, who you do mention?

12. owen41099

owen41099 New Member

Apr 28, 2002
    Powder Springs, GA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why not? They are regulars and once Rooney grows up, he might have the right temperament.

Ledley King?? I'm hearing a David Spade Capital One commercial..."NO!"
    Ashley Cole and John Terry? Again, Mr. Spade, the envelope please...

You need a captain that's actually on the field, not the bench.

Owen might be an option, but I'm talking about if Beckham sticks around for a while. In that case, you'd have to pick someone who's not nearing the end of their run on the team.

So Defoe and Rooney would then be options. But, as I said, Stevie G is the best choice, by far.

13. Eurekas

Eurekas New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    Gerrard should be the captain of England. He's the most consistent player of the national team and England don't lose much games with him around. The only competitive game that England lose with Gerrard is against France.

14. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Rooney will never have the right temperament and Defoe is not a regular, nor a leader!

What has he done wrong for England?

The best left back at the Euro's by far and the Captain of the best club team in Europe, packed full of international stars - Terry will replace Sol before too long and will be captain of England, fact!

So who exactly is replacing Mikey?

Defoe and Rooney will not be options - Defoe is a lightweight and Rooney a headcase - why oh why don't Manure send him to school once a week, just to learn what we call, acceptable behaviour - he is a fcuking mong?

15. JD=SuperStar

JD=SuperStar New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Australia
    John Terry, should be the next England captain when Becks retires.

16. Internazionale23

Internazionale23 Red Card

Dec 8, 2004
    San Siro !!!
    A new captain should only be named when Beckham thinks its the right time. Hes been a brilliant player for england and a brilliant captain, anyone who denies it is ignorant.

He's always gave his best at the right-mid and has proven to be one of the best right-mids in the world. He's received alot of criticism at the Euro but thats only because hes playing at a piece of fcuking shite club like real madrid who make him play in the middle which has made him lose his form. Recentely they've tried him on the right and what do they discover? That he is still absolutely brilliant.

As for the next captain, no one but Steven Gerrard.

17. MrZedd

MrZedd New Member

Jul 18, 2003

18. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Stevie G hands down. Quality player, his work rate and enthusiasm would rub off on others

19. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I said Sol should be captain with Stevie as vice earlier in the thread. Now I've change my mind, Sir Steven should be the captain.

20. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Completely agree.

21. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    i believe that beckham did not deserve the captaincy whatsover. but for my opinions.... gerrard is the obvious choice, he knows how to play the game well, he is captain for his club, and he backs down to no one and is respected. other front runners i think are campbell or in a 4 year time or so either terry or lampard.

22. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    He may not have deserved it in your opinion, but in the game against Greece he was the only decent player we had, never mind captain.

23. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    why is it that everyone mentions that game is that the only game he was any good in? i mean name another game jeez!

24. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The thing about that game is, for 70 minutes, he was as shite as evereyone else was. After that he just worked hard running around a lot and then scored a free kick in injury time. Beckham has had far better games for England than that game, it's just that the media here wanked themselves in to a frenzy after that one, so everyone remembers it.

25. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    True he's had better games, but that's not my point. My assertion is that he was the ONLY player in the England side that day who bothered to show up with quality slightly better than the average pub side (bar maybe Nigel Martyn and even then, only just).
    Plus, in the grand scheme of things, it was rather an important game.

Whether he should still have the Captaincy is up for debate but I'd be very surprised if there were more than a few people (probably with an axe to grind anyway) after that game questioning it. You can say he didn't deserve it when he first got it (many did) but who would you have picked at the time?

I'd give it to Gerrard at the moment or maybe Sol.

The problem I have with a lot of the knee-jerk Beckham bashers is they just parrot other talking points and don't seem to watch the whole of his game. Has his form dropped? Undoubtedly. But just because he isn't scoring from as many freekicks or scoring from the halfway line shouldn't be the reason it's being brought up.