Who should be the starting goalkeeper for the USMNT?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, Jan 23, 2005.

1. startFC

startFC New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Oldham
    1- Kasey Keller (proven winner, played signifigant time this year)
    2- Brad Friedel (proven winner, not in as good as form as KK but starts for club
    3- Tim Howard (obviously better than any MLS keeper, but not starting for club hurts, he should be used as much as possible because he is the future)

Enen though I am a huge Tim Howard fan I think the American manager should use Keller as first choice and then use Timmy for cup games that they play in, and once theyve qualified, I think if he gets enough games his true ability will come about again.

2. Chromeknee

Chromeknee New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Reno
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slighted???? He was the first choice goal keeper but Arena went with Friedel because Friedel was playing well and Keller had some nagging injuries. He understood very well why Friedel was chozen and knew it was the best decision for the team. I certainly doubt that he felt slighted. As it turned out, it wasn't such a bad choice, was it.

3. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    OK GUYS LETS USE ARE HEADS A BIT!!!!
    KELLER #1
    FREIDEL #2
    HOWARD #3
    I know just cause howard is with MAnU u guys all want to see him play but he is sucking right now!!!!!!!!!!!! Howard is always gonna be the more popular one but he needs to get it strait first in his head, then he will perform. He is a great Goalie dont get me wrong. But The other 2 cats are just better.

4. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana
    I say Howard because his confidence has to be lacking now because all of the craziness at ManU. I think this game would be a good one to help him get his confidence and focus back. Obviously it's an important game, but there is no reason the US can't win by at least 2 goals no matter who is at GK. Perfect time for Howard to get some playing time.

5. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    As I recall, he commented publicly about feeling slighted.

Anyway, given that the poll asks generally about who should be the US #1, and not just for the T&T match, I can't believe more people are picking Howard than Friedel. That seems nuts. Over the last 12 months how many times has Howard had a better weekend peformance than Friedel? Or to put it nother way, put Friedel in a Man Utd. jersey right now and I feel certain Ferguson would (and should) start him.

6. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. What Friedel did in Korea still sets the bar for me. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie handle so much pressure so well. Some of his saves seemed impossible. I thought he was even better than Kahn for Germany. I haven't been able to see him on tv in EPL in a long time, so I don't know if he's beginning to seriously age. Hey, I even like the fact that he has a fake English accent!

Keller makes me nervous even though he's cool as a cucumber, makes great saves, handles pressure well, but I have to say I've seen him make some real bonehead moves in the past, especially his screw-up against Mexico several years ago. (Kicked a goal kick right into a forward that went back over his head and into the goal).

If he's eliminated the goofy screw-ups (I haven't seen him on t.v. in a while), he's probably the favorite for the position. I like Keller, but we've got a bunch of great goalies, and I think we really have to split hairs, since the keeper can give us a real strategic advantage. I wonder if we shouldn't be looking at Cannon, too. I think he's actually quicker than the other guys.