Who should be the Republics next manager??

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by IrishGary, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    And SSN reports tonight that Billy Davis is going to be interviewed tomorrow. He must have had an unlisted number.

2. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Latest rumour I heard was George Graham.

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Whats even funnier is that he's gotten a job BEFORE we've appointed a new manager....

4. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Decision next week. Or so they're saying.

5. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

I'm just wondering how quick it will be until we fire the new guy, this time.

6. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Someone on here mentioned he was quoted as saying he would be happy to learn the ropes.

Now why the feck didn't he think of that a couple of years ago?

7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
  8. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah, a new manager doesnt need any friendlies to prepare for the World Cup qualifiers, right?

9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    In May of '61 John F Kennedy indicated that the USA would put a man on the moon. That was accomplished in July of '69, a little over 8 years later.

Had the FAI been in charge of said project, they'd still be looking for a telescope to find the moon.

10. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

11. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Nothing on the FAI website, but I wouldn't expect them to be that organised.

[​IMG] 11 February 2008

Trapattoni appointed Ireland coach

By Tony Leen, Sports Editor
    SOCCER chiefs last night pulled off their own Italian job by securing legendary coach Giovanni Trapattoni as the next Republic of Ireland head coach.

The 68-year-old met in Austria last night with the three-man FAI selection committee and agreed in principle to hook up with the Republic once his contract with Salzburg finishes in May.

The deal is a coup for FAI chiefs, who have been under intense pressure over the protracted process to find Steve Staunton’s successor. However, they were determined to see out the process to the end and have said there would be no knee-jerk appointments.

Association chief executive John Delaney will fly out to meet Trapattoni’s representatives in the next 24 hours and agree a contract and financial package for the former Italian coach. He is likely to be given a three- or four-year deal, worth in excess of e1.4m per year, with bonuses.

The FAI’s board of management will meet tomorrow or Wednesday to ratify the nomination of the selection committee of Don Givens, Don Howe and Ray Houghton. It means disappointment for ex-England coach Terry Venables, who was the other remaining candidate.

Former Irish midfielder Liam Brady will be part of Trapattoni’s backroom team and will perform a similar general manager role to that which Oliver Bierhoff fulfils with Germany. However, uncertainty remains whether ex-Italy defender Claudio Gentile will come as Trapattoni’s assistant.

Trapattoni’s Austrian commitments conclude at the end of April, ensuring he will be in place as Ireland manager well in advance of the May 24 friendly against Serbia at Croke Park.

The Trapattoni deal is critical for the FAI. With sponsorship deals either up for renewal or dependent on future success, wooing an internationally renowned manager was pivotal. It is understood the FAI have already had contact from potential investors on the basis of Trapattoni being coach.

The Italian, who turns 69 on St Patrick’s Day, boasts an awesome CV in European football. He won six Serie A titles with Juventus, another with Inter Milan, and won championships in Germany with Bayern Munich, Portugal with Benfica and with his present Austrian club, Red Bull Salzburg.

12. paddywhack

paddywhack Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    yep..RTE reporting the same...Trap it is..
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0211/trapattonig.html

I'm pretty excited about this. Could be great for Irish football. I'm sure he'll pick his teams on merit and form and not on past allegiances, so keep up the good work Mr. Hunt your time will come:)

13. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Knowing the FAI, I will believe it when it happens and not before.

14. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There was a similar piece in the Irish Times a week ago, and that proved to be false... this is encouraging but I refuse to get excited until we get official confirmation.

15. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Exactly, expect a Terry is manager announcement imminently.

16. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It could be a lot of pure speculation at this point. Can't believe it to be true until word comes from one of the 3 Wise Men and/or the FAI.

A slight improvement on Stan, I dare say...

17. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    I'd be a slight improvement on Stan.:D

18. IrishGary

IrishGary New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cork, Ireland
    great great great!! Trappatoni could be the man to lift the gloom and doom of the irish national team, lets hope that when he meets with delaney he doesnt realise what a pathetic organisation the fai are, can jst imagine:
    Trap: so who was manager before me?? Someone decorated like me i suppose?
    Delaney: eh.....ya....Steve Staunton....have you heard of him?
    Trap: Is that the muppet who used clean the jerseys at walsall??
    Delaney:............
    :D:D

Trapps green army in South Africa baby!!!!

19. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Delaney speaks:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0211/fai.html

I think this might actually happen....

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Well, Iain Dowie was fired as Coventry manager today. Coincidence? I think not........

21. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  22. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Though it'd be a good thing for this quest-for-a-manager fiasco to end, Trapattoni??? What kind of a long-term solution to problems of Irish football is that?

23. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
  24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Great decision.

A foreign manager.

What I've been calling for all along.

(Check my posts if you don't believe me)