Who should be the Republics next manager??

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by IrishGary, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Somebody who hasnt worked in a decade shouldnt be let anywhere near the job.

El Tel ticks the boxes for me.

KOH

2. paddywhack

paddywhack Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Well England have got their man, no messin' around there. What's up with the FAI, listening to Eamonn Dunphy rant last week on RTE, sounds like the FAI were priming the people for Venables, but have since back tracked. Dunphy came out on National TV and listed off a series of negative attributes attached to Venables over his years in Football, including bribery, pay-offs, and leaving clubs bottom of the table. This rant put the FAI back at square one.

I wouldn't mind Roy Hodgson, but call me old school, I'd really like to see Brady or O'Leary get the job.

3. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What about Lawrie Sanchez?

4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Houllier's name keeps popping up by some accounts.

5. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Coppell will be leaving Reading at the end of this season, and I don't think anyone would be at all surprised if he stepped down the day the club clinched saftey from relegation (although there might not be much room at the looks of things now). The public stance is that he's having trouble dealing with the pressures and time commitments of being a Premiership manager; but in reality I think some of it has to do with motivation, knowing that he could likely spend 10 years at the club and not top last season's run. Particularly, seeing Sidwell spurn a starring role at Reading for a reserve role at Chelsea must be puzzling.

I doubt the Republic could attract him, but he would be a massive hire, especially given his development of Irish players at Reading.

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Coppell is under contract until the end of next season, and has already said that his comments about wanting time off were given a "in the very near future" spin that he didn't mean. As for pressure, the Reading job is about the least pressured in the premiership. The team would have to play badly, which they are capable of to be fair, to go down, but there's no expectation or demand for more from the supporters.

I don't know if he'd do a good job as a national team manager anyway. He isn't really a master tactician. Reading play pretty much exactly the same style of football that he'd have played 25-30 years ago and rarely change. He's not exactly the fired-up motivational type either. He strength is really just in building a team and getting them to play to his system, which would be much harder to do at international level, where you only get to train players for a few days a year, than at club level.

7. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hodgson is the new Fulham boss. This makes me very angry.

Reckon we are almost certain to end up with one of Venables/Houllier/O'Leary/Brady.

Wouldn't fancy any of them to do well.

8. brian boru

brian boru New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Hodgen is gone but wait for it................Klinsman will be announced as new manager in about 5 days. Remember, you heard it here first.

9. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Are you sure of this...did a reliable source tell you? Should I get on PayPal and place money on it? Can you even bet on such things?

10. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Klinsman wouldn't touch us with a bargepole!

As far as I'm concerned O'Leary is the only real option now.

I wanted Hodgson! I would find it very hard to support a team managed by Venables, Houllier may be good but I cant see it. Brady shouldn't even be mentioned. A complete failure as a manager! Probably the only manager ever to not win a single trophy with Celtic!

Whatever happens now, I think we're fcuked!

11. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Wolves deny McCarthy will leave

Paul O'Hehir
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey has dismissed speculation linking manager Mick McCarthy with a return to the Republic of Ireland.
    McCarthy has been linked with the vacant post following Steve Staunton's sacking but Moxey is adamant the former Irish boss is not leaving the Championship club.
    "Having to respond daily to national newspaper speculation isn't helpful at a time when we're trying to focus on the job at hand," said Moxey.
    "Naturally the manager is playing a leading role in trying to identify players to acquire during this transfer window, as well as preparing for games.
    "Despite what's being written, it's business as usual at Molineux," he added.

Moxey also reacted angrily to reports that the club's chairman, Steve Morgan, has sounded out potential replacements should McCarthy leave.
    It was suggested former Bolton manager Sammy Lee had been approached but Wolves deny this.

12. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    And there's more......

Mick McCarthy will be officially approached to return to the Republic of Ireland, because of the FAI's increasing frustration with Terry Venables.

advertisement
    The Wolves manager is gathering support among the Republic's senior figures, who fear Venables is about to turn down the post in favour of a move to take charge of Bulgaria.

The former England manager was the first choice to replace Steve Staunton, but has been offered a $1 million tax-free contract with Bulgaria for the World Cup qualifying campaign.

FAI officials are growing tired with Venables' brinkmanship and, after canvassing widely in their search for a new manager, believe McCarthy would be the perfect fit.

They have also been encouraged by the apparent unrest between McCarthy and new Wolves owner Steve Morgan. Their relationship seems to have soured following the Championship club's recent poor run which has seen them drop out of the play-off picture.

FAI chief executive John Delaney, who sacked McCarthy in 2002 following the famous World Cup bust-up with Roy Keane, has set a deadline of February for a new man to be in place.

The Republic have a prestigious fixture with Brazil at Croke Park on Feb 6 and Delaney said: "Our preference would be to have someone in place before the Brazil game."

13. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Big Sam was sacked by Newcastle today. He would be a great appointment if he would take the position and not defect to the next Premier league club that came calling.

14. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Great appointment? Dont think so. No international managerial experience and his teams are brutal to watch.

Would be astounded if Mick came back after what happened last time. Bookies here making a fortune from rumours flying around. Daft suggestions like Dalglish, Houllier and now Sammy Lee? Fools with money and all that.

KOH

15. paddywhack

paddywhack Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  16. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  17. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Re: sounds like their gonna contact Big Sam...

But you'd object to Bruce Arena? A guy who has more international experience. (not that I'm a big Arena fan, but Jesus wept is that thick as pig shit.)

18. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Sam Allardyce got his team promoted and then into the UEFA Cup while Bruce Arena was losing to Honduras, Morocco, and Costa Rica (a decent side at the side at the time) and drawing with Guatemala and Haiti before managing his team to 4th in half of the MLS. That make Big Sam much more qualified if you ask me...and I really don't like him tha tmuch either.

19. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Didier Deschamps?

20. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005

Which country did Big Sam take to the WC Quarters? And nice straw man on Honduras, Morocco, and Costa Rica. How many times did the US beat Honduras and Costa Rica as opposed to their losses? Same with Guatemala and Haiti. The Morocco loss was 1-0in a friendly so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, because the US under Arena was not the first to lose to a lesser team in a friendly. Arena's 71 international wins and trip to the WC Quarters trumps leading Bolton Wanderers to the UEFA Cup in my book.

O, and for Big Sam's great track record care to take a look at Newcastle's season so far?

21. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    For a whole host of reasons, but primarily because he said he doesn't want it, Allardyce would be wrong. Still don't forget he did have a stint at Limerick few years ago pre-Bolton.

Arena is a very interesting name in the hat, but will not make it due to his lack of experience in Europe; the FAI is still recovering from the last manager they appointed with a lack of experience. Not saying that Staunton and Arena are equal, but the any perception of any type of inexperience is not going to fly.

Those rumors about Dalglish and various others are more bookmakers looking for publicity than anything else. It's announced as, "Bookmakers Paddy Power have confirmed that they have suspended betting on Roy Keane becoming next Ireland manager." Nice way to get Paddy Power's name into the TV, radio and newspapers, right?

22. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Oh *)^#@("~!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0111/venablest.html

23. luciusmagister