Who Should Be the Next US Men's National Coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Jul 20, 2011.

1. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    I vote for Jason Kries. I like how he has Real Salt Lake playing a style similar to Barca, or Spain. My other picks would be Sigi Schmidt, Klinsmann, or Hiddink if available.

2. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Hiddink from your list, I think it is time to try a European Coach...

3. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I can see why they let Arena have 8 years. He did amazing things in the run up to 2002, and given his pedigree as an American coach, was rightfully given the chance to continue on that. But Bob really hasn't gotten this team to the level Bruce did in 2002, the Confederations cup result is misleading simply because we stunk it up in the group stage and got very lucky to get through. In 2002, we would have been considered very unlucky to not get through and was very unlucky against Germany. But, given what Bruce did his second term, it should be clear that we shouldn't have another 8 term coach. I think a change really does just interject new life into a national team, and we need it.

4. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything you said 100% but can you drop some names. I am not a fan of bringing another US Coach in at this time...

5. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    This is the hard part. You want to be realistic and bring in ppl that are willing to coach this team. The scary thing is if you have someone that's too unfamiliar with US soccer and our region, it could prove costly like Sven for Mexico. Hiddink would've been a great coach for us, but at this point we'll be fighting for too many other countries and clubs for his services so that would probably never happen. But if Iran can get someone like Queiroz, then I think we can get someone like that or better. People throw out names like Bielsa or Klinnsmann, but I'm not sold on Kinnsmann as a coach. I'd have been ok with getting Roy Hodgson and giving him a chance if he were still free due to his experience. I feel any top 5 US coach would better than Bob is now because they'll bring new things to the table and a lot of new guys would probably feel like they had a clean slate to fight for a spot.

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What "new things" would that be?

As for "clean slate", you'll have to point out quality players that really performing well for their teams that are being snubbed. There are a lot of "back up QB" players that a lot of people think would really take this team places they aren't currently going, but the sad fact is that most of those players have been tried and didn't just "not shine", they looked way out of their depth or were/are never going to be that good.

7. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about either Thomas Dooley or Preki? Preki don't take no guff.:)

8. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight I'm really starting to like Piotr Nowak.
    How he had Philly playing against Real Madrid, he's had experience as an international assistant to BB, he's had a pro career in Europe, and an international career.

9. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How about we offer you guys a man of international recognition...a man with an odd mixture of 'fro and jerri curl...a man who can do flips...a man who was a penta-pichichi

A man...one man...

[​IMG]

Hugol

He will right your ship, I am telling you this!

10. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The perfect candidate for me.

1. Anybody thats not a joke.
    2. Anybody that would play somethind different than long ball, who doesnt rely on set pieces to score zhit goals.

Thats perfect for me.

Bob Bradley should be coaching college soccer where he belongs, thats where most terrible joke coaches are.

11. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piotr Nowak wasn't a bad coach in the Olympics either. (Of course, he should have told Sacha Kljestan not to jump like an idiot on set pieces like that) And he's not a stretch from Bob Bradley- but he does have far better technique and player managment.

Another oddball favorite Coach candidate of mine is Takeshi Okada. Every BSer balks when I mention this guy, but what he has done with Japan, both club and country, is simply amazing.

12. Diora Maria

Diora Maria Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Jurgen Klinsman We also need a new head of US Soccer.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Is this a fantasy thread?

14. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Various Styles should be the new US coach.

15. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    must spread rep.

I agree with the no long ball approach. I would like a coach who instills a patient system that looks for short passing and is defense first. More importantly, IMO, you need a coach with a philosophy and vision that emphasizes the group to work as a unit. At this point of US Socer, we have players that can make an individual difference but our biggest advantage is working as a unit and for each other to play better. If we move completely away from that, we are not playing to our biggest advantage.

Someone like a Bielsa or Oscar Tabarez would be a good fit. Especially Tabarez. Someone who can take a harworking team and highlight our positives of a midfield against most teams.

WHoever it is, have that philosophy trickle down to the U-teams.

16. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is. I see a lot of names on contract. Even some of my picks (Like Ojitos Meza) won't be viable until I think next year.

Although, I will say- Meza did look great in the Spain friendly in 2010, and Okada isn't as far fetched of a choice as one may think. (And he's available and would probably jump at the chance.)

17. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As a Cruz Azul fan, I think I'll agree there. I don't really quite remember his time with the NT, either because I wiped it out or I was 10 and didn't follow as hard as I post, but with Spain we looked quite well and they brought a good team over and if it weren't for making 5-6 changes at halftime, we probably woulda won. I mean it is Azteca = huge advantage for us, but still first half, there was no Spain.

That being said, you need to be quite confident in your D, because as a Cruz Azul fan, it gets frustrating, and he does make poor choices at times.

Can you explain why you want Ojitos?

18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a perfect world, we would have a petty, vindictive moderator that would cyberhang you from the front of the forum. But that's why we're better up here.

19. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I bet you would. I hear you guys have experience in tying nooses and whatnot.

You know you want Hugol! In all fairness, he's not that bad, he did make Pumas back to back champs, a pretty hard thing to do in our league and with that team, he did beat his team de amores at the Santiago Bernabeo (?), and he did save Almeria. That being said, NT wise, it was mehhh!

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's being highly flattering.

21. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We did alright in Copa America with him, alright because winning third place at it, isn't sumffin we haven't done or aren't used to before. And if you guys excuse the copyright infringement, it was with our B++---^5 team.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you clowns are the ones who claim we're living in the past?

Copa America is nothing I really pay that much attention to, other than the abject meltdown you guys had in the 2001 final against Colombia. Much the same way you would fold just a few months later in Korea.

You're just as pathetic as the "Nads" who think we've got to compete in the Copa to make us better. Hasn't done ******** all for you guys. Now that CONCACAF wisely won't let senior squads play in it any more, I guess all we can hope the next competition is how best our teams can avoid being robbed by hookers

23. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the thoughtful, evidence based, tightly reasoned quality of Mr. Warmth's arguments, the best general strategy the USSF could make for choosing our next manager is "Pick whomever leaves Warmth cold".

24. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Copa America is nothing bc you dont pay any attention to it? :D

Copa America has done nothing for Mexico? :D

Please tell me you are just being funny.

25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really nothing for the US (or Mexico) other than a set of glorified friendlies. Even less so now that CONCACAF will not permit senior sides to participate and clubs aren't compelled to release players since US & Mexican sides are guests and not really participants with the ability to win squat.

As of the last WC, we both ended out in the same round and it's didn't help them get into the last Confed Cup.

No.