Who Should Be the Next US Men's National Coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Jul 20, 2011.

1. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    He has WAY more than Bob ever had. He understands the American system as well, if not better than Klinsmann too...since he's actually American.

2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either Sidefootsitter or JuniorfromLA . . .

3. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see Fraser Happening. The one difference that Kreis would bring is that he places a much bigger emphasis on one-touch football. He's actually a safe pick, because he's not that different from Bob Bradley but places a premium on possession that Bob Bradley neglects. He is also better at player management.

The funny thing was that Meza was a disaster for Mexico because he tries to play his guys as a unit as opposed to showcased individuals. His style is much more effective for the US mindset than it was in the Mexico 2000 mindset.

I think tactically the US fans would love Meza, but Meza does have his system and I am sure he will infuriate a portion of US fans. 50% based on him being Mexican (Which unfortunately is a big factor, let's be honest), and 50% being dead set on playing his system. His open style is far better than Bob Bradley's system, but I can see him dropping some long time players that wouldn't fit it. (Guys like Klestjan, who are all hustle but little passing, will probably be dropped, and Bradley would probably be just a peripheral player unless his passing gets better)

4. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    I like Carlos de los Cobos, he sucked with the Fire, but as a national team coach did amazing with El Salvador, adding injection youth & more attacking style. His time with Fire help understand US set-up in soccer.

5. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Pekermann still working?

6. 8thday

8thday New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Roberto Martínez (current wigan coach). I just like him.

I don't care if the NT coach is Mexican or Martian just want quality and a fresh start. I definately would not want to see Bradley still associated with the team if a new coach is hired. Time to move on.

7. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the idea, I researched him and it sounds like he has had a solid career.

8. 8thday

8thday New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Yeah, he seems to be intrigueing. He's at Wigan with no great players, and no budget and he's trying to play attractive footbal in the EPL. Where all his counterparts in the bottom of the EPL (no stars, no money) go at it with brute physical force for survival.

9. JUAN-XAVIER

JUAN-XAVIER Member

Jul 23, 2009
    TEXAS
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think the US will play 100 times better if they get a coach who was not a high school or college coach. They must find a coach who has international experience (as a player and coach). Also open the door to different style of players outside of the college style. with these type of players you will not get heart and passion, what you end up with is a school spirit pep rally type team. This does not work in the futbol world.

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there something in the water where you live that makes posts from you inherently stupid?

11. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why didn't we play 100 times better under Alkis Panagoulias or Bora Minutinovic? We did play a better under Bora, but not 100 times better. As for opening the doors to players outside the college style, have the doors not been open to Hugo Perez, Thomas Dooley, Earnie Stewart, Fernando Clavijo, Jozy Altidore, Preki, DaMarcus Beasley, Jonathan Spector, Michael Bradley, Bobby Convey, Landon Donovan, Stuart Holden, Jovan Kirovski, Frank Klopas, Carlos Llamosa and Oguchi Onyewu.

12. Bob34

Bob34 New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The following players are U.S. internationals who played college soccer:

Clint Dempsey, Claudia Reyna, Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Brade Friedel, Kasey Keller, Maurice Edu, and Stuart Holden.

I'm sure there are more.

I agree with the general sentiment that college soccer is a problem, but these players have all had respectable club and international careers.

14. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of have mixed feelings about the last sentence. The foreign model for going pro may not be the ideal U.S. model any time soon. Our model has worked for some of our guys. Demspey: Clemson to MLS to Fulham. Davies seemed on a good track after going from B.C. to Hammarby and onto Sochaux. Bocanegra went from U.C.L.A. to MLS defender of the year and then to England and finally France. Bedoya went B.C. to Orebro and now appears destined for greener pastures. You list other examples.

I understand the comment but wonder if the model that is ideal for other parts of the world is necessarily the one that is best for us. In fact, with development at the lower levels apparently lagging behind other countries, might the college ranks not be a great opportunity for some of our kids with talent to be brought up?

These points may seem off point, but I think they are at the root of the problem that causes folks to scream for a new national team coach when that "solution" really does not address the true underlying problem. Conclusion: for U.S. soccer, college soccer might just be a good thing.

15. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to say that your started off well. I agree with International Coach and Player idea but you lost me with prep rally stuff. I say you had pluses and minuses in this one but 100 times better than your Mexico Steroids takes!

16. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In 2002, I said that if the USA was to truly flourish that they would need a foreign manager. That was after the miraculous Quarter-Finals run of course and then the USSF committed the cardinal sin by renewing a coach for more than a cycle. We saw how 2006 turned out and we're now being reminded again of the dangers of stagnation. The trouble is that at this point no foreign coach would be likely to take the USA job because even in good times for American soccer there is the mentality that the job is a step down. They'd be likely stuck with an MLS coach or Thomas Rongen. Luckily, Rongen, Kinnear, Nowak and my personal choice, Sigi Schmid are all better picks than RoboBob.

17. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way you presented your argument. Well thought out...To tell you the truth I like Bob but I also believe he lost his team. I don't like the way Bruce Arena acted in his last tenure with the team. And all the coaches you listed, I feel would be same as Bob. If you watch Hockey, when a team is on losing streak or stuck in a rut. They often change the coach. And the team often starts to play better. I feel that is what we need here. This whole year we seam to be stuck in a rut. I would like them to go with a coach that is from one of these three systems: German, English, or Italian flare.

18. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I humbly accept. I want my $800k up front, and I guarantee our ELO rating will slip no further during my reign of terror.

19. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Conclusion: for U.S. soccer, college soccer might just be a good thing.
    For those that do not want to become professionals, perhaps. Not for those who want to become highly paid professionals. For all the examples listed of players who had some pro success after starting in soccer here in the USA, there are hundreds who did not reach their potential because of college soccer. Their development was arrested. Kids who are good enough to go pro need to be in professional environements year-round basically from the time they are identified during the high school age years. College provides insufficient time on the ball . And I will argue that even today, 2011, the average midtable academy coach in Germany, France, Italy, or Uruguay can provides a curriculum that is more relevant and efficacious for professional development than the average college soccer coach. Right now college soccer coaches still aim to make young men good citizens, and good college soccer players. They do not have the tools, on many levels, to turn these young men into soccer players prepared to compete at high levels.

20. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I agree with you on your argument, it really doesn't portray to our topic...Do you have names of coaches that you think would be better than Bob? I would love to hear them.

21. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said school spirit type 'team' not fans.

I agree with needing the heart and passion. Players having a college degree means that their entire life doesn't bank on their soccer success. Perhaps threatening them at gunpoint might work. :p
    But really, I see Americans just not being able to develop as early because the training starts later and experience comes later.

Perhaps a Mexican coach. From the rivalry it might aggravate half of our players into passionate play, while allowing another half of mexican american players to finally join our team. In a BB story reply, a poster said he could select an entire team of guys from central california non mls games who with some training could do better. I don't necessarily agree, just wonder. :D

22. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to exactly who? Well I've heard so many US players now say the same thing - that US coaches try to micromanage and tell players how and where to kick the ball in game, that I would be willing to give anyone a try who thinks they can just select better players, get them working together well and with understanding, and motivate them, making the basic necessary decisions.

23. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    If Martin Rennie makes the jump to MLS next year, which I suspect he will with Montreal. I think he could be an excellent choice.

24. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been really impressive. I'm interested to see if he can do the same at the MLS level. I suspect what will be an initial hamper is restrictions on player movement. It may take him a year or two to get "his" team together, and I wonder if the club ownership will have patience with Rennie if the team doesn't produce instant results.

25. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension

I think the only thing that could hurt him initially are the restrictions on player movement. But I wonder if that will hurt him. I think if he gets a decent assistant that is familiar with MLS rules, Rennie could do some damage. Even if he doesnt, he is a smart guy and I think he will get up to speed quickly, and at the very least will have a team that is beatable but not one you look forward to playing.

I just do not see how either Chicago or Montreal do not pick him up.