Who Should Be the Next Revs Head Coach?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, May 9, 2019.

1. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What you guys think about Avram Grant?

2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Avram Grant would be interesting...but why would he be interested?

3. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid

pwykes repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find myself thinking that Bruce would do better to focus on being General Manager, and continue to let Lapper run the team for now. I think he needs time to think through what is the situation with the Revs and how to construct a team for the future. Day to day managing can both tire him, and distract from what's most important in his hiring.....
    Anyway, me two pennies.

5. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am definitely a Bruce guy. However, I do have some concerns.

1) Arena does not have a very good track record of developing young talent. While he should be credited with bringing Landon and DMB into the USMNT when they were young and unproven, his Galaxy teams developed very few players (Zardes?) that impacted their first team despite having one of the first and expensive academies in MLS. He developed a tendency to rely on a core of older veterans rather than integrating young players, both at club and country.

2) Can he be successful without money and resources to back him up? Can he be successful without stars (Echeverry, Moreno, and Diaz Arce early, and Keene, Landon, and Beckham later)? Can anyone be successful on a shoe string budget? Hopefully this is a sign that things are changing, but there have been signs (Jones, Friedel, training center) that have not precipitated other expenditures. Is he going to bring in a full staff for coaching and scouting on par with the elite of MLS?

3) Tactically. (This is my least concerning). We've seen Bruce have great game plans- such as 2002 WC vs Mexico and 2017 away qualifier at Azteca. But TNT debacle does give pause for concern - does he get cocky and not plan appropriately against inferior opponents?

At the end of the day, this is a new beginning. Bruce Arena will almost surely be better than Burns/Friedel/Heaps. Hopefully it is better enough to challenge for championships. He should get a least a year and a half before we break out the pitchforks again.

A Casual Fan, snootie and a517dogg repped this.
  6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the most part Bruce has been a success in everything he has done in MLS. International soccer is a whole different game. I will jump for joy if Bruce is hired as GM, coach or both!

pwykes repped this.
  7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Personally not jumping on any Bruce bandwagon yet.

And he has a pretty unlikable personality too when dealing with media whether it was Galaxy or US Nats. So that is not an upgrade over Friedel or Burns either.

That being said, like Hercules Gomez said in the tweet, Bruce needs this opportunity just as much to salvage his legacy. So maybe he will be a changed man. Plus, this organization need someone to enforce a change and if Bruce is at least that guy to get the ball rolling as a GM then so be it.

Agree with others that say make him GM not both.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think he'd tolerate insufficient resources - that's why you bring in someone like that (and why we haven't before now!). He'll demand what he needs.

RevFan repped this.
  9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Agree, I'd rather see him as GM.

But, I doubt he needs a whole lot of time to evaluate things - he's probably already been doing that.