Who Should Be the Next Revs Head Coach?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, May 9, 2019.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten coaches who could be the perfect fit for an MLS vacancy
    Sasho Cirovski, University of Maryland
    Phillip Cocu, formerly Fenerbache, PSV Eindhoven
    Robin Fraser, Toronto FC assistant
    Jose Mourinho (!!!!), formerly Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid
    Pat Noonan, Philadelphia assistant
    Tab Ramos, US U-20 National Team
    Ante Razov, LAFC assistant
    Josh Wolff, USMNT assistant
    John Wolyniec, Red Bulls II
    Kerry Zavagnin, Sporting KC assistant​

Other names I've seen floated...
    David Moyes, formerly Sunderland, Manchester United, Everton
    Jason Kreis, US U-23 National Team
    Steve Ralston, formerly San Jose
    Andre Villas Boas, formerly Chelsea, Tottenham
    Alan Pardew, formerly West Brom, Crystal Palace, Newcastle United
    Sam Allardyce, formerly Everton, Crystal Palace, England
    Eric Wynalda, Las Vegas
    Steve Nicol, formerly New England
    Paul Mariner, formerly Toronto FC, Plymouth Argyle​

Anyone you like? Anyone who's name we should add? Favorite candidate? Likely candidate?

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took your list narrowed it down to who I would not mind seeing hired. Group A would probably not be interested however probably the most capable. Group B would be more likely considered/interested. Razov, Frazer, Zavagnin and Wolyniec are probably the most qualified of that group
    Group A
    Phillip Cocu, formerly Fenerbache, PSV Eindhoven
    Tab Ramos, US U-20 National Team
    Jason Kreis, US U-23 National Team
    Andre Villas Boas, formerly Chelsea, Tottenham
    David Moyes, formerly Sunderland, Manchester United, Everton
    Group B
    Robin Fraser, Toronto FC assistant
    Pat Noonan, Philadelphia assistant
    Ante Razov, LAFC assistant
    John Wolyniec, Red Bulls II
    Kerry Zavagnin, Sporting KC assistant
    Steve Ralston, formerly San Jose
    Eric Wynalda, Las Vegas

3. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Burns is allowed to pick the coach it will be the cheapest one available, probably with no head coach experience, and the whole cycle starts again. Burns has to go first. No good coach would come here if Burns is still in charge of signing players. He won't/can't do it and the new coach will fail too.... Burns is the real problem here and why the owners cant see it is beyond me.

mrt/MLS, TOAzer, tsb11 and 5 others repped this.
  4. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    I keep reading people say Burns needs to go because he hired two bad coaches. While true, that's not the root of the issue. The root of the issue is that no one connected to MLS wants to work with Burns from a player acquisition standpoint. Combined with Kraft's cheapness, any coach who comes to New England will be hamstrung in his ability to execute any coherent plan. This limits Burns to hiring people who have no experience and are looking for their first coaching opportunity - willing to work under those conditions. Burns needs to go, not because he hired two bad coaches, but because he created a toxic culture among his peers that left him no other options.

Any move Burns makes - whether it be a player or coach - will cost the Revs more than it would cost any other team, because no one wants to be here under these conditions.

As much as I like some of the names on this list, they all seem so unrealistic for this team. Everything just seems so hopeless. We're going to end up with Brad Feldman and just be happy that we have a team.

Anyway, Hartford Athletic drew 11K+ in their first home game, so I guess there's that.

A Casual Fan and CynicRev repped this.
  5. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you interview for a job with a company, you are trying to learn as much about the job and the company as they are trying to learn about you. You ask questions to figure out if this is a place that you would like to work. Is this a fit? You try to decide if this is a job where you would be set up for success, could grow your skills, would be supported, and be could be successful. You have a career path/plan and you try to figure out if this job would move you forward on that plan. You weigh what this job has to offer vs. known risks/rewards, vs.other opportunities might be out there or might soon be available that could be better for your career.

Before and after your interviews, you talk to people who have worked for this company before or who currently work there to see what they have to say. You ask them the same sort of fact finding interview questions that you asked at the interview, plus informal "soft" questions.

All that said, what would a coach with a solid career/track record have to hear in order to be interested in the New England job?

I think it would be fun to come up with a list of interview questions that a candidate would/should ask when interviewing for the Revs head coach role. Here are some basic interview questions that I often ask:

How would you describe the ideal candidate for this job?
    Why is this position open? In this case we know, BF was fired. Why didn't it work out?
    What could have made the last guy (BF) successful? Did you try to provide these things?
    What will make my experience in this role any different?
    How will my performance be measured?
    What are my short term and long term performance goals?
    What is the best thing about working here?
    What needs to change?
    If I was in my office at 8 PM on any given night, what would I see?
    What are the immediate challenges?

If you are interviewing with the person who will be your boss, in this case Mike Burns you could ask:

What is your dream job? What is next on your career path? What are you doing to get there? How can I help or how will I impact your ability to meet your goals? What would you like to change? What makes this place special/great? What are your challenges? Why are they challenges? When you raise these issues what happens?

A Casual Fan and patfan1 repped this.
  6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I really don't want former MLS players at this point and I really don't even want to see an American coach. Give me a durn furriner who is a total coaching nerd and has the game embedded in his DNA.

A Casual Fan, pwykes and Feldspar repped this.
  7. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be fine with anyone on that first list. I'm OK with someone who doesn't have head-coaching experience if they come with some solid credentials otherwise.
    Wynalda would be a riot.

8. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No MLS players. Either a college coach (so we can build our youth system and establish a future, even if our senior team isn't immediately producing) or a foreign coach (so we get better habits instilled). But it's all pretty moot if Burns is still in place.

9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of those guys that have coached or assistant coached in MLS + Tab Ramos + Wynalda: they should be considered insane and stupid for coming here unless they get some fundamental FO changes in behavior and ownership commitment of significantly higher spending, contractually (IN WRITING!).

The same is only a little less true of NCAA coaches that have the opportunity to watch MLS more closely than Foreign based coaches. It leaves only one or two names that could at least argue, “I didn’t realize...”

Since we are keeping Burns and Kraft around, apparently, I wish for Marcelo Bielsa. He isn’t available that I am aware but would be tremendously entertaining if he took this job. He’d only last 6-8 weeks into the season. I believe he is genetically incapable of « toeing the line ». If he felt Kraft, Biello, or Burns was doing something stupid, he’d speak openly about it. It would be very enlightening.

10. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any coach that would take the job in the current structure isn’t a qualified candidate. If they knew enough to understand how to be successful they would know enough to stay away. So get whoever you want another time and hope that with three strikes against Burns the Krafts have the sense ask actual soccer people for advice.

At that point, perhaps they realize that they can fire Bilello and Burns and bring in someone like Moyes to do all three jobs with a low level business person to fill in some of the gaps from Bilello’s job. Fire three. Hire one. Save money and improve the product.

11. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A yes man, does what he's told, never questions his leaders, no aspirations above and beyond this one job, needs the players to not see him as the enemy...sounds like Michael Scott.

12. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    OK I'll bite. Anyone who's trying to make a calculated career move won't touch this job with a 10 foot pole. So that rules out most of either list.

Personally I'd love to see Big Sam, just because I think he'd tighten up the D and I don't think you can succeed as a team without first keeping the ball out of your own net. The backup choice is Mariner - mainly because he'd probably take the job.

Building a program or having a sound long term plan I think is out of the question with the current management & ownership.

My guess is they try to overpay for Ralston because overpaying would be the only way to convince him to potentially commit career suicide by coming here.

13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, this is certainly an unexpected twist...

NFLPatriot, CynicRev, pwykes and 2 others repped this.
  14. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only there was some way for the Revs to signal that they were going to change things. Like, by getting rid of a certain general manager....

NFLPatriot, CynicRev, pwykes and 3 others repped this.
  15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like trying to find someone to helm The Flying Dutchman. You've gotta be desperately close to dead to opt for that career move.....

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be a first time coach again. Someone will take the risk to get his first gig.

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think even new coaches are realizing taking the NE job signals the end of a career before it starts

pwykes repped this.
  18. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the league is orchestrating a little intervention here?

19. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Brian, is there some indication of this? Or are you just wondering out loud?

20. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% imagination on my part.

21. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Watching Mike Lapper's interview, I might not be too upset if he were to take over as head coach, at least for the rest of the season.

He's got more coaching experience than Brad and Jay.
    He was very transparent, and saying a lot of the right things in this initial interview.
    He already knows the players, and has repoire with them.
    and I'm assuming he'll take the job.

Burns NEEDS to go. But I don't mind if Mike Lapper stays.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  22. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lapper is welcome to stay until/unless he proves he is also toxic. The best we can hope for is a coach who will get a sum greater than the parts. However, with this Front Office (Burns, Biello) and this Ownership, any coach will struggle to supply consistent above average results across multiple seasons. The parts will always be too few (open roster spots) and below the ever increasing average in an otherwise improving league.

The guys who should have been fired are here for life apparently and we have to suffer through it.

Nice "Fire Mike Burns" chant out of the Fort last night. Either Feldman and Mariner agree or they were taken totally unawares. There was a brief moment of silence from them that made it even easier to hear the chant.

firstshirt and TOAzer repped this.
  23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    personally I take this tweet with a grain of salt. It comes one day after Brad was fired. I was not expecting to hear about a hiring until mid/late June while the team is off for 25 days. To me if Lapper is hired full time or given the interim coach tag until the end of the season, that is a good indicator people are slamming doors in Mike's face.

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    A lot of people have expressed this view, but I don't agree. Any potential coach with any gravitas will negotiate the terms of the job. Friedel did this and got his scouting department (which IMO was a major step) and assurance of money to spend on DPs.

For a new coach, those terms may include replacing the GM, getting a real reserve team, etc. ... plenty of possibilities on that list!

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's the point... Mr. Big Time will come in for the interview, impress them with his knowledge, and when it seems they are interested, he'll ask for certain conditions, like a real reserve team, more resources, acquisition budget guarantees, commitment to fill all roster spots, etc. Then Burns will say, "...Ahhh, yah, look at the time, I got another meeting in 10 minutes... It was really nice to meet you and thanks for your time. We'll be in touch."

rkane1226 repped this.