Who should be the next player to get a chance with the US Team?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Oct 16, 2009.

1. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Can we combine Ream and Wynne into one player that plays LB? :)

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The last time we tried that, the guy turned into The Fly. Not recommended.

3. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *DeepThought's by TabLalas*
    *soft, gentle music begins*

I remember in high school we were told that we were getting some exchange student from Germany and that he was a great soccer player, so those of us on the soccer team were stoked thinking that this guy was gonna push us over the edge in terms of making the playoffs and winning a championship;well, they were right he was from Germany and he did play soccer, but he was one of the goofiest most awkward players I've ever seen and it turned out that he liked smoking pot much more than showing up to practice or even showing up for games (i guess he forgot about them).
    As for how this relates to the topic, I have no idea, but I just wanted to tell the story.
    My point, I guess, is that German soccer-playing exchange students really like to smoke pot and will disappoint you at every turn.
    He also managed to impregnate the biggest skank in the class, but that's another story for another day, my children.

1 person likes this.
  4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    We've all had those. I had a guy from Brasil and 2 from Argentina come over at the SAME TIME who were supposed to be Gods and I remember thinking, ******** yes, we are going to win state (we already had a very solid squad as far as HS teams go)...

One got cut (Brasilian), the other 2 rode the bench the whole year and honestly should have been cut if not for being Argentine and my coach not knowing shit about the game except that Argentinians and Brasilians were inherently great players.

Ok back on topic...

I like Agbossoumonde. I know he is young, but he is the real deal and i'd really like to see him brought into the mix. I know he can't attend cupcake but I still think we should see how he does in a GC camp or friendly early on next year.

1 person likes this.
  5. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    [
    I like Agbossoumonde. I know he is young, but he is the real deal and i'd really like to see him brought into the mix. I know he can't attend cupcake but I still think we should see how he does in a GC camp or friendly early on next year.[/QUOTE]

His stock seems to rising at unbelievable pace. I think he will be in the 2014 picture. Could very well be our 1st big time world class player.

6. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old is the lovechild now, and is he nationally ranked?

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Happens in over-30 leagues. We once added a guy from France (who eventually ended up being my neighbor). One day I was talking about our over-30 team with another neighbor and I informed him that so-and-so was playing on our team. Neighbor says to me "wow, he must be really good." To which I replied "Not every American is good at baseball."

8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Alot of issues too is the style of play even at the youth level you see american coaches have players play. Its a tough system to break into for argentines and brasilians. Its alot of running and not enough ground work up play. (assuming these kids were ok at that. Cause if their trapping and passing of the ball stunk... then they just stunk all around lol)

I had tons of trouble catching on at my HS level (varsity), because 1 the coach looked at the athletic kids first over control over the ball, and passing. I even got cut despite me playing at the highest level outside of HS because later on I found out the coach thought i was too 'flashy' and didnt fit into his style of play lol.

It happens though, and in defense of those poor guys that got cut, sometimes even the best players don't fit into the style of play here in the US. Which is FAST, and very much all about fitness which I wish I had a better grasp over when younger, cause I could have gone farther. God damn HS drinking and partying lol.

9. drivas

drivas New Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anybody but fru adu! initially Agbossoumonde comes to mind

10. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and his name.....................................Freddy Adu.

No, I'm just kidding, lol.
    He's probably somewhere playing indoor soccer........................................and gettin' blazed. hehehe

I'm serious though, that German exchange student LOVED weed, in fact if he could choose either oxygen or pot-smoke, it would be pot-smoke.

11. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA

His stock seems to rising at unbelievable pace. I think he will be in the 2014 picture. Could very well be our 1st big time world class player.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know if he is officially back with Braga and training now?

12. mutant42

mutant42 Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Oakford, Pa.
    Omar Gonzalez and Geoff Cameron.

The U.S. pool of players is shallow because so many promising players don't begin careers until they're 21 or 22 years old. Teams succeeding in international play are dominated by kids who have been under serious pressure to earn a living since their teens.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    You're like...20 hours too late. :)

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He is already capped but Heath pearce needs another shot. The guy needs to get out of mls. He is playing out of position and is one of the best outside backs in mls. He has the most assists for a defender and he is playing right back. He is beating out alston and franklin (the next two call ups by US fans) and he doensnt even play that position naturally.

15. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Harrington. Plays RB for KCW, but I'm pretty sure he can play both outside fullback positions. Can't be worse than our options right now. He can play defense AND serve in some nice crosses. Depending on Cherundolo's role going forward, Harrington should at least be considered for at least the back-up RB role.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    famous last words.......................

17. Libero4

Libero4 Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Eric Lichaj

18. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    I'd like to see him play a bit for Villa's first team before we see him called up, but I don't deny he's fair shout for next summer.

19. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone actually watched Lichaj play?
    Is he similiar in skillset to anu past U.S players?
    I've never seen him play so I'm just trying to get a feel for the type of player that he is.

20. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007

I saw him play twice for Leyton Orient earlier this year, and once for Lincoln City in 2009. He's a solid defender, with good intensity going forward. He was a cut above most of the competition in League One, and frequently got in and around the opposition box from the wing. Fans I talked to at the grounds were disappointed he wouldn't be around longer. Reminds me a bit of of David Regis actually, if you're looking for a USMNT reference. Their about the same size, and both w/ a good burst going forward and athletic.