Who should be the next player to get a chance with the US Team?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Oct 16, 2009.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Friedel would be the best player in Hack-a-calf, if he was still playing int'l ball.

2. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Suazo assists and create chances for other and havok on flanks. I couldn't understand why Honduras starts Pavon, Pavon's age isn't good enough to play against stronger team, Pavon miss a hat-trick against mexico and missed the penalty vs US. Costly and Suazo is more like perfect combo.

Palacio by far best player his position in this region.

Torrado shouldn't be in top 10. the guy has ref on his side, almost every day gets lucky doesn't get red card and always throwing punches and elbows or trying choke someone.

3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he is not even the best American goalie in whatever part of England he is in.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is?

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Cervi's in Scotland, not England.

1 person likes this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He must be talking about Howard. Liverpool to Birmingham isn't exactly a long distance. (from an American viewpoint). The English think it is of course.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Forgot about him. Guzan, maybe?

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still rate Brad above Tim.

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. Friedel is simply not what he was. He might still be better than Guzan, O'Neil certainly thinks so.

But the best player in CONCACAF - don't think so.

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate posts like this. Which "Brad" are you referring to? Guzan or Friedel? Either way you are wrong.

11. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones, I´d like a peak at Alejandro Bedoya...

Jeff Cunningham, Omar Gonzalez, Robbie Findley, and maybe another of those yanks abroad.. ehhehehehe Adu....

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    People can argue it either way. There's no right answer.

Friedel did have a howler in his last match........and then some good saves to make up for it.

Why are we talking about Friedel again?

Speaking of Cervi.........there's talk that he wants to go out on loan to get some playing time. He's worked his way up to third on the Celtic depth chart (if you believe Celtic supporters)........but wants some game action. He's one for the next cycle, but I wouldn't be stunned if Bradley called him into a squad before the WC. After Howard and Guzan.......it's not like our #3 keeper is set. I'd go with Perkins right now, but that could change. I'd be comfortable with guys like Hahnemann as well, because he has experience in big games in club football. Robles has been benched at Kaiserslautern, and isn't seeing any playing time. Then there are the MLS keepers like Reis that I'd be OK with too. It's the #3 keeper after all. How many many nations have ever had to use their #3 keeper. Didn't Paraguay have to do that in 2006, though? It's happened.

13. Tertius

Tertius Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Delray Beach, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    This thread has gotten rather far afield hasn't it? The OP asked "Who should be the next player to get a chance with the US Team?", and here we are talking about Brad Friedel.

I'm not sure I have an answer to the OP's question. We have already seen just about everyone who has any shot at making the World Cup squad, and quite a few who don't. I DO wish Chris Pontius had another season under his belt, for me he has far more potential than a bus full of Conor Caseys and Jeff Cunninghams. He'll probably have to wait until the 2014 cycle, which is unfortunate because we need forwards now.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Chris might get a chance at the January camp. We'll see. It may just be too soon for him and other MLS youngsters like Omar Gonzalez.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Goff speculates ...

I assume that "... don't be surprised if ..." can be translated into " ... a reliable source just confirmed that ..."

16. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. Although Goff, being an actual reporter, is pretty careful with how he phrases things. So this is probably about his actual suppositions rather than about anything anybody has told him. (But who knows.)

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm amazed no one's mentioned Freddy Adu yet.

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We talk about Brad Freidel so he doesn't come and burn our house down for not talking about him.
    And if we wanna talk about howlers by keepers, let's talk about Dida and Casillas.

It can absolutely happen.If it does,it means we're already screwed.of course.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That was one hell of a goal Pontius scored against Toluca the other night. I wish somebody would post a highlight of that.........

Longer distance screamer giving the goalie little chance.

I don't think anybody would have a problem if Pontius was given a cap or two this spring. He's certainly talented.

20. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    i did!

21. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    I rather see Pontius than Ching. Please, no more Ching, he's over-the-hill now.

New blood for our Strikeforce.

22. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Well, I am not going to start a thread, but I will do my 50 push ups, probably in increments of 10 or 15.

I never thought I would EVER see this day.

1 person likes this.
  23. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. House to the Humility Wing. Paging Dr. House....

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised too. But with Davies out and Findley unavailable, well, hard to be too shocked.

Honestly, I'm a bit more surprised that EJ got called up. But I guess it's a short trip.

24. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin Braun - Chivas U.S.A.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Speaking of the KarlK perp-walk, there but for the grace of Goff go I.

1) Goff teases us with Castillo;

[I post Goff's report, and Grumpy cautions me not to be too certain. See posts 64 & 65, page 7.]

2) Goff confirms Castillo, a couple of weeks after his initial 'hint;'

[I come oh so close to the usual BS, where I lord Goff's confirmation over Grumpy. :eek:]

3) Goff admits no Castillo, but blames Mexican reports for (Goff's) getting it wrong;

[I almost come back and take my medicine.]

4) Goff hints again that Castillo (and Torres) will make it to Denmark (though not Slovakia).

I return, triumphant ... for the moment. Don't be surprised if I have to come back here and eat my words.