Who should be cut from the NATS?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by futbol571, Jun 19, 2003.

1. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I myself think Kirovski & Stewart have NO business being out there anymore.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta go with Greg Vanney. He was horrible out there today.

3. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    why is Lewis on that list?
    hes clearly the best crosser in the US
    anyways
    Califf, Armas, and Kirovski were absolute crap today

4. aorig

aorig New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    you are overlooking kiro

5. tophergannon

tophergannon New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    USA
    i wish i could vote for frankie hejduk...

6. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    we only need Eddie Lewis there when McBride's there... he's really pretty useless except for his crosses... he rarely helps out in D and he's slow for a wing player.

7. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Personally I think Frankie's a good plug, definitely not a starter.

That defense tonight was garbage all together, well the last year pretty much.

But between Kirovski, Stewart and the backline as a whole ... we are seeing we need to get some new blood in the NATS I think.

8. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    There's a couple of people I'd never like to see suit up for the NATS again, including:

Danny Califf
    Jovan Kirovski
    Frankie Hejduk

among others...

9. nymetrostars2002

nymetrostars2002 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    Add Convey to that list would ya!

10. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    For one bad performance? The kid's (yes, he's still a kid, he's only twenty years old, he can't even legally drink yet!) got alot of upside.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Kirovski, without a doubt. No talent, no potential. The rest of the guys on the list have their uses, even if some of them aren't ready for the big-time yet (Califf) or are past their prime (Armas, Stewart) they can still contribute.

The Convey comment is simply idiotic. The kid is 20 years old and he's fared far better for the US than did his former high school teammate (from the biggest pussy school in Philadelphia), Chris Albright.

The thing about Hejduk is that he'll be crap for years then pop up when we need him the most...he was exceptional in both the 98 and 2002 World Cups, yet you can probably count on one hand the number of good non-WC games he's had for the US over the years. He'll probably be too old in 2006, but he's still got wheels and he's worth keeping around as a sub.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I'll do a 1 to 10 rqating for today's game

Howard 7 tough loss no D in front of him
    Heyduk 4 like a chicken w/ his head cut off
    Berhalter 6 could argue he was the only defender on the pitch wearing white
    Califf 2 might have been bettter off if he got red carded early
    Vanney 3 his corners were bad his defense was awful was able to get the ball to the front on occaision
    Armas 3 played like he never played before, i mean NEVER been on a pitch before in an oprganized match, I wouldn't pick him for a rec team from tonights performance
    Convey 4 looked scared provided nothing in the middle
    Donovan 5 had an off night and was our most dangerous player. too many bad passes
    Beasley 6 finished his chance not as dangerous as usual
    Lewis 6 lack of speed got exposed didn;t play bad, wrong lineup for him to be with
    Kirovski 5 wasn't what i'd call dangerous but just had no support.

aOur midfield was nonexistent. I think Kirovski would have been better as a withdrawn forward behind Donovan and not the other way around Califf, Vanney, and Armas didn't belong on the pitch tonight. We're lucky the Turks didn't put away 5

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I am quickly losing faith in Bobby Convey. Don't care how green people say he is. You play enough games for the Nats, you ought to produce something tangible.

14. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Is it just a coincidence that the two Metro fans that have posted here both think Convey should take a seat? Anyway, aside from that how in hell can you lose faith in a twenty-year-old?

The young man has nine caps in 2003, playing 436 minutes (btw, if you do the math and divide 436 by 9 you'll get approximately 48, which means he's averaged 48 minutes per game), and compiling 2 assists. That's not bad, especially considering he was played out of position for probably half of those games. If two assists isn't tangible, well I'm sorry for you.

If Convey turns out to be total crap, I'll eat crow, but until that time I'll defend any twenty-year-old player that has less than ten caps.

16. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Answer's got to be Kirovski. How many bad touches is he going to have? How many times did he dispossess the ball on great opportunities? Funny how those Euros were saying he was the best player for the US right before the World Cup started.

17. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Kirovski has the seemingly worst first touch I've ever seen in a national team player. The ABSOLUTE worst!

He is garbage and it just shows how bad a selecter of teams Bruce Arena really is. Fine motivator of teams but one of the worst selection makers I've seen for a national team coach anywhere.

18. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't vote in the poll because I thought Armas was the worst USMNT player out there -- BY FAR!!! :(

I agree with most of your post, however here's my analysis:

Howard 7 tough loss no D in front of him
    Heyduk 4 like a chicken w/ his head cut off
    Berhalter 6 could argue he was the only defender on the pitch wearing white
    Califf 4.5 I thought he had a decent match. It's hard when you don't have any help defensively from the midfield and have strikers running at you all night
    Vanney 4.5 I don't think his corners were all bad -- I just think we don't handle set plays well. It looks like we don't have any idea how to attack a corner kick!
    Armas 2 played like he never played before, i mean NEVER been on a pitch before in an oprganized match, I wouldn't pick him for a rec team from tonights performance. Agreed. He looked COMPLETELY lost out there tonight. He didn't defend well, didn't link up the midfield well, and seemed to be always caught running behind the play. The worst game I've ever seen him play at the National Team level. Get Mastro out there!!!
    Convey 6 I thought he was one of our bright spots until he ran out of gas.
    Donovan 5 had an off night and was our most dangerous player. too many bad passes
    Beasley 6 finished his chance not as dangerous as usual
    Lewis 6 lack of speed got exposed didn;t play bad, wrong lineup for him to be with
    Kirovski 5 wasn't what i'd call dangerous but just had no support.

Mathis 6 Aside from his first touch, had some great touches when he eventually saw the ball, but got no service. I want to see more of him in this tournament.
    Twellman NR Got in too late to do much, but looked like he was moving well. Was his blocked shot headed toward goal?
    Stewart 5 I haven't been too impressed with him lately, but last night he showed he can still organize well and help the team with his experience. A good substitute performance.

19. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Everyone is dissapointed with the Turkey performance. I did not get to see the game so I can not evaluate. We are all strong U.S.A. fans and were hoping for some success but I think we must accept that Bruce is experimenting and looking to the future.

Who should be cut? We have some players that are available because their clubs are not in season right now. Bruce has to limit the number of players taken from MLS. I dont think Kirovski gets called if MLS is not playing.

Stewart and Armas, both great players in their time should be subs and no more. Their time with the Nats must be limited and younger players given time to grow.

For those critizicing Convey you had better hope you are wrong. This kid is our midfield hope for the future. If he does not pan out lower your expectations for the Nats.

20. rufus55

rufus55 Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Califf should not come back. Has no use whatsoever. Vanney, Berhalter, Hedjuk, and Armas have their uses as subs, but cannot be relied upon as starters.

Why is Eddie Lewis on this list?

And anyone who thinks Convey shouldn't play is insane. He's ultimately going to be one of our best players. Give the kid some time.

21. Gar7

Gar7 New Member

Feb 7, 2001
    Southington, CT
    Convey should not be on the list. 9 caps is not a lot of experience, and this is the first time he is truly being tested. From the analyses I have read so far(by writers, not fans!) Convey was one of the most consistent players for the US, ina good way. I'd prefer to see him as a second half sub, because when he has come on as a sub in recent matches, he has added anew dimension to the US team at that moment.

22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I thiought I was going to be the only one voting for Califf in this poll. I thought he had a chance to be a future star after seeing the Olympics, and I figured he deserved a shot given some pretty good MLS play. But I don't think he approaches the game correctly, doesn't distribute the ball well, and resorts to too much fouling. I'm ready to move on to other options for the future - we've got incumbents there with Pope and Berhalter, and Bocanegra has pretty much joined those two at that level in my mind. But it's time for other choices to try to break into that threesome.

23. Creeper_thp

Creeper_thp New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    The only way Berhalter is on the same level as Pope is if you're referring to their height.

24. sprite19

sprite19 New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I happen to be a metro fan, but I am above all else a national team supporter and I think that Convey's definitely the player most played out of position in the NATS and in MLS. Bobby's a center mid, I repeat... Bobby's a center mid; why he always seems to played towards the backline is just twisted.

Despite not having the best of stats to back up his play, Bobby has made some pretty good runs in the past couple of games. Sure he needs to improve, just like EVERYONE else on team.

This the first year in which Bobby has consistently been on the national team scene and he has been able to show that he can hold his own out there, ie. Wales and NZ.

And to answer your question Crazy_Quakes_Fan, I can't see how you can lose faith in a guy who's just freakin' 20, is a starter for his team, captain of the U-20s and a member of the MNT. As someone his age I've got nothing but respect for the guy.

25. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Califf has produced nothing in the Red White and Blue and there is no excuse, barring injury, that he starts over Carlos Bocanegra.

I gave u on Kirovski a long time ago.

I am rapidly losing faith in Taylor Twellman. He got marked out of the MLS Cup 2002 by Danny Califf of all people and he's done nothing with the Nats. Maybe in a few years...