Who returns for 2007

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay I have a couple days with out any missions and Im getting kind of bored so I was thinking; who is going to return and wear the Battery Jersey next season?

here is last season rooster I would say quite a few will still be here next year.

Ill put a see again, maybe, and see ya by the names

10 Lazo Alavanja Maybe Gave it his all and sure tried but not sure he did enough this year unless he is still under contract
    16 Stephen Armstrong South Africa INternational spot but I would like to see again
    20 Anthony Catalano see again
    12 Chris Corcoran see again
    2 Shane Crawford Jamaica see again two year contract
    18 Brandon Curran see again
    8 Omar Daley Jamaica see again two year contract
    11 Ian Fuller
    9 Gavin Glinton see again unless La or another club snatches him up
    6 Chris Gores see again, he deserved it
    Luc Harrington see ya, I don't think he ws with the club at the end of the season
    14 Ben Hollingsworth see again, but I know he wants MLS I fear the injury in the playoffs may have hurt his chances though he might test the water outside of Charleston if offered enough money but I would love if he stayed to become a huge home town hero
    1 Dusty Hudock see again
    24 Jordie Hughes vital international spot see ya
    4 Tim Karalexis see again
    22 Troy Lesesne I think Troy has done enough to get a see again but I understand he might give coaching a full time go.
    19 Teba McKnight Trinidad maybe he seemed to do well early on in the season
    Kevin Nylen see again, his clearence off the line is enough for that
    13 Ugo Okoye Nigeria I like Ugo but holding an International spot, I have to give him a maybe
    17 Armando Romero see again fast and good with the ball and will grow with experience
    25 Lawrence Smith Come join us in E10 Smith maybe
    27 Usiel Vasquez I'd say see ya but he nevered showed up!
    23 Luke Vercollone See Again unless snatched up by MLS
    5 Mark Watson Canada see again plus I think he will have his green card now that he is married to a local but I image he will be on the side line more next season
    30 Keith Wiggans see again unless he goes to Grad school like he was going to before this season.

I think our back line is pretty strong, I would look for a distriubing midfielder that can feed our wings and forwards a star name and another forward that has a rep for scoring.

I think Agguie was happy with the team this past season, but will look to improve and will have to fill holes by hte guys that decide to move on. I think next season will bring a stonger team and one with a serious chance at taking the top of the table and winning the final.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

mikey

2. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll throw two names out there. Jeremy Gold from the CofC and maybe John Wilson. Jeremy has had a steelar career and year. I thought, I saw John Wilson on Daniel Island today and with DC in the play-offs. He has been hurt this year, but his playing time was limited at best.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would love to see both of them, Johnny has a pace still and has the experience that would be needed if Mark spends more time on the bench.

Jeremy Gold is definatley one to watch, but I know he is on MLS' radar and wouldn't be surprised it he got some offers from there. Well see what happens there

4. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching DCU's Erpen almost single handedly give the game to NY yesterday, I'd be feeling pretty good about my chances for PT next year if I was JW. And if he doesn't land with DCU, other MLS clubs may be interested. I'd love to have him back and I think he will eventually end his playing days with the Battery but I think he has a couple more MLS seasons in him.

5. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Agreed on Jeremy Gold - I'll be surprised if he isn't playing for us next season. Also, Mikey, you didn't put anything next to Ian Fuller - I'd like to have him back next season - I think he worked hard, and did well in a number of different positions.

6. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our D has always been strong and I think we made a definite upgrade in strikers last season (although, GG may be gone). So, I'd like to focus on the middle of the field.

I know it's probably just me but it's been years since we had a true offensive midfielder (circa Temoc Suarez). We've had some decent center midfielders in the past but IMHO, they've mostly been defensive, not offensive. Look at the goals and assists of our center middies over the past several years; not too impressive. Players like Lazo, Fuller and Ugo.......I don't think they're bad, I just think they're mediocre & we can get someone better. Players like Armstrong and Luke, I like because they showed a definite flair for attacking.

We've always been known as a team that attacks up the wings. Not sure if that's by design or necessity but I think the lack of a playmaker in the middle makes us one dimensional on offense. I would like to see more "O" in the middle of the field.

And I know this is sacrilege but at some point, we better have someone (a good someone) to replace Dusty. He's one of the best in the league at positioning and reading the game but his body is 34 years old and has taken a lot of diving, falling and pounding. His best days of athletic, acrobatic saves are probably behind him.

7. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Beckham?

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I think that would pretty much sell out every game!!! while were are at it I would add Figo and ZZ and expand the stadium ;) For me the best I could hope is Beckham ends up at a MLS team and that team ends up playing Charleston at home.

I would love to see him come to MLS as I think it would put a spike in interest that would out weigh is on field use

As to Ian Fuller, I think he will be around.

But I agree with Bribey I would love to see someone take command of the midfield. in some ways I think Cladio Reyna would be a good choice. I understand he might be on the market in Jan.

mikey

9. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would look for Claudio to go to New York, since he's a Jersey boy.

10. Billy Jack Diego

Billy Jack Diego New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I thought Luc Harrington was hurt at the end of the season and the reason he was not playing or dressing. What is the deal.

Lazo will be back if he wants for his passing and leadership. He had the second highest number of minutes played. Coach A never sat him down, so he was in the games for something more than scoring this year. Think about it. Lazo is the type of player who plays the cards dealt. In 2005, the leading scorers had 4 goals. Lazo was the offensive player of the year. In 2006, we had 3 players who scored 13, 13 and 8 goals (not counting CCC), so Lazo had a different role. My guess is that Lazo is a little long in the tooth to play indoor and outdoor. I heard he was passing on indoor. He may be at a point in his life where he might be passing on the physical commitment it takes to play in the USL, and he may have to think about making a real living. But, if he wants to make the commitment, he is on my starting team if he wants to be.

I thought the Hollingsworth boy played pretty well in the midfield. I think it will be hard to keep him and Glinton next year, so be on the lookout for a striker and a MF.

Smith is young and recent photos showed him back at his playing wt. He has a rocket for a shot. He can play and I would like to see what he can do.

Jeremy Gold broke his foot. He is not ready for the MLS, even if drafted. Hopefully, Troy will convince him he is better off playing 30 games in the USL than being a reserve in the MLS.

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see the Battery to remain mostly intack next season. I think that some many teams lose a bunch of players. It seems first part of the season the coach and player spend trying to figure one another out. I know it take more than Caoch Auggie jsut want int a player back, players have ther own dream and ambitions and they always don't mean Charleston Battery

I think that the Battery were only one or two players away from a trip to the Championship last season. Hopefully we can get those players next season.

Mikey

12. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw some of them working out on Wednesday morning on the practice field.