Who really supports MLS/Soccer in USA?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by dcrpoop, Sep 23, 2003.

1. dcrpoop

dcrpoop BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 15, 2000
    Hell'sKitchen is my
    1)Are you a season ticket for the team (MLS or lower leagues) in your market?
    2)Do you have the MLS shootout package?
    3)Are you buying non MLS merchandise over MLS merchandise?
    4)Are you influencing others to buy/ support MLS or lower division in the US?
    5) Are you traveling to support your club and country when they compete?
    6) Are you voicing your support for your club/country at games? (or are sitting on your hands?)

If you answer no to any of these, you are the problem!

2. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Having to decide whether to agree with a Metro fan or Segroves is like trying to decide between Lanky's toothless crack whores or Aimer.

That said, I hate the Metros.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... mod's note ...

This belongs - I think - on the Soccer in The USA board. Moved with redirect.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    This does belong here, but let's try to leave the Aimersmack where it lay. ahem.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    1. No (did make the 100-mile roundtrip to see my local PDL team 4 times this summer and took a long weekend trip with my young kids to one MLS game).

2. Yes.

3. Yes (though I think you meant to have this question reversed). I purchased a shirt for my local PDL team. That's non-MLS, I guess.

4. Yes (have a fansite for my local PDL team).

5. No.

6. Yes.

Am I really the problem?

6. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Yes, for the first time this season. It's the first time I can afford to go to games on a frequent basis.
    Hell no, why would I want to watch the rest of you shite?
    When it comes to MLS gear, it's strictly United gear. I wouldn't be caught dead with another MLS crest on my person. So, yes, yes I do, since I have a lot of Arsenal kits.
    Lower leagues and the rest of MLS can go to hell. I encourage support for United only.
    Once to Richmond for preseason, and earlier this year to the Pedo-lands.
    6) Are you voicing your support for your club/country at games? (or are sitting on your hands?)
    I am part of every keeper's nightmare...LA NORTE.

Actually, answering "yes" to 3 would seem like a problem to American soccer. And what problem is there with the game anyway (besides the obvious WUSA fiasco)?

By the way, go to hell, MetroScum. [/obligatoryhate]

7. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002

There isn't a team in my market.

I'm jobless and broke.

See 2.

A lot of my friends already do.

I'm still a pedestrian and see 2.

I voice my support while at home. I'm loud at least.

I do my best. I plan on being more supportive after I'm not so pedestrian.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

No way! My team is DC United but I live in LA these days. I'd love to have season tickets at the HDC (where I could shout ridicule at Cobi Jones during every home game) but quite frankly they priced me out of the market. I'll go to games when DC is in town and maybe I'll take in a playoff game but that's it. Too expensive. And I'll go up to San Jose whenever DC plays there too.

Yes ... In fact I have it twice.

No. But I'd buy more MLS stuff if they offered better merchandise. I've been pining for a DC United coffee mug for years. And all their t-shirts are ugly. And how about a flag? Or anything that doesn't look like it belongs in an child's bedroom.

Yup. Particularly the PDL team I follow in Carson City, Nevada. And I might try to organize the west coast DC United supporters into something of an ex-pat supporters club. There's maybe a dozen of us and every year we seem to grow.

If they're on the West Coast I'll be there for DC United. I also intend to take in some away games for the Nevada Wonders next year but I wasn't able to manage that last year. I'd really like to see them play the Orange County PDL team as Juergen Klinsmann reportedly plays for them (by some accounts under a pseudonym).

I was at the HDC last weekend supporting DC United and my voice is still hoarse from loudly casting aspersions about the reported size of Cobi's - shall we say - anatomy.

I'm a terrible person. I answered no to one of the questions because I'm not willing to auction off the rights to my first born child in order to buy season tickets at HDC. I guess I might as well commit suicide as I'm clearly not helping soccer in the USA.

9. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All yes's except for #2. Cable company didn't offer the shootout to non-digital cable subscribers at the beginning of the season. Finally got switched over this month, but they won't prorate the package. Maybe I'm wrong because it costs MLS, but F*** the cable company and their sh!tty customer service. Man, when did I get principled?

I'm in next year.

10. Tamalak

Tamalak New Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Westland, MI
    1. No. Though I do attend my local PDL team's games when I can.

2. YES

3. I buy mostly MLS gear and U.S. Nat. Team gear. It all depends what looks cool. I also have PDL merchandise.

4. I coach high school guys & girls - we attend a PDL match or two in our area, along with a college game or two in the fall.

5. I used to, when I was single!

6. Usually.

The key is for anyone in a position to influence kids, like me being a high school coach, to not just play the game, but turn them into fans of the game. When I took over the program 2 years ago, 2 or 3 guys on the team were aware of the MLS, but couldn't tell me the teams. Now, they follow it, catch a game on TV, and go on-line to check things out, cause our local papers only post the standings - no stories.

11. Tamalak

Tamalak New Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Westland, MI
    DirectTV, baby!

Disable the Cable!

In my town
    my DirecTV is $54.95 / month

Digital Cable is $69.99 / month
    for the same "package" I get with DirecTV & the cable guy does not offer Fox Sports World.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) No, since the nearest MLS teams are 8-hour roundtrip drives from my house. However, I only missed four Fire home matches from the start-up of the team until I moved away from Chicago in August of 2000, and I've managed to see them at least once (if not 4 or 5 times) each year since then.

2) Yes.

3) Well, I buy food every week, which is non-MLS merchandise, so I guess the answer is no. Whenever I buy bottled water, though, I choose Aquafina.

4) I've taken at least a dozen people to Riverhound A-League matches. EDIT: it's 17, actually

5) No. The money isn't there. I will gladly accept your donations, however.

6) I find that sitting on my hands makes them fall asleep. The diminished circulation of the blood consequently makes them even colder than they would be otherwise. For this reason, I go the old school route and sit on my ass.

If I'm a problem to MLS, the league is in trouble.

Ahhh, if only I used my power for good instead of evil.

13. GAranger654

GAranger654 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 24, 2003
    GA
    when atlanta gets a team...then i will become the biggest fan in MLS history!

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Who really supports MLS/Soccer in USA?

Yes, a top 10 college soccer program is the highest level of soccer in my city, I go to all the games. In the past year I have been to one A-League game and one MLS game.
    No, I don't even have cable.
    No. I have a bunch of Fire gear and then some general MLS league gear.
    Yes. I've even talked a New Yorker friend into going to see the Metros (gasp!)
    I've seen four US games in four states this year.
    6) Are you voicing your support for your club/country at games? (or are sitting on your hands?) I usually can't talk for 2 or 3 days after a US game.

15. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    1) No, I go to a DCU game about once a year...I'm 2hrs away, but I watch or tape every match. I will be getting season tickets for the new USL team in Harrisburg, PA
    2) No...live in an apartment. Will probably when I get a house someday.
    3) Yes, I've started to do this...only DCU and MLS stuff.
    4) Not really.
    5) Saw DCU at Foxboro 1 time.
    6) Yes.

I think that the important ones here are 1, 3, and 4. Improving attendance, tv ratings, cashflow, and attracting new fans.

I've been a lazy fan for the past few years...I'm gonna change.

16. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Oh...and...U R poop

17. GloryGloryManUnited

GloryGloryManUnited New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Lafayette,LA
    1) No,I live in Louisiana and soccer is not big here at all. I do support the Dallas Burn though
    2) No,it's not availible on digital cable
    3) Yep
    4) Yep
    5) No (I'm broke :( )
    6) Never been to an MLS game

18. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    why dont you just be the #1 in the A-League?

Yes. Even if I dont get season tickets I go to every game.

Yep, and I love it

i dont know. I like some DCU shirts on their site and in Eurosport and maybe I will buy some once i get enough money.

defintly, have taken tons of people to Riverhound games, and have talked people into going to USA games and then driving them there.

defintly, bring on the WCQ!!! I have been to Rochester, and Toronto for Riverhound games. and went to DC for 2 DCU games.

There is no other way. Cant even watch a match on tv and not hurt my voice.

Sweet, I am not a problem!

19. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes to all but 2 and 3 - I think you have 3 worded backwards.... The shootout isn't available where I live (I've tried for three years to get it - been signed up for the NHL package twice by accident in the process.)

Of all of these, I think one and six are the most important. They are the ones that directly effect the strength of the local team.

I am also not 100% comfortable with calling someone out as "the problem." I don't have a problem saying, "then you're not helping."

Fact is, though, that until we are looking at 20K a game, with 1K of those (at least) in various supporters groups making noise (either all in one group if possible or in multiple groups like in LA, Dallas, etc.) there is work to be done.

At the same time, I would recommend patience for those truly hard-core about all this. Why? Because it isn't going to happen overnight, and I would hate for those with whom the fire burns the brightest to flame out before we reach our goals.

20. captdf

captdf Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Irvine, CA, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not the problem

Just got a new job here in the OC, so don't have the cash to pony up for season tix at HDC. Maybe in a few years.

Not available on the cable at my apartment and b/c of the way my apartment faces I can't get direct TV.

I've got both. I buy equal amounts of MLS stuff and Chelsea or UCLA stuff.

I try to take friends/family/coworkers to MLS/USMNT matches whenever I can. Convinced 3 guys from work to go to MLS Cup with me on Sunday.

I go to USMNT whenever they are local, and have also occasionally travelled to see them.

If cheer for club/country, and when I'm watching other teams, I'll at least be cheering against the team on the pitch I hate the most.

I don't think the people here on these boards are the problem. The fact that we're reading and posting this stuff shows our interest in the sport. The key is trying to convince everyone else to play and support soccer. I'm preaching to the choir here, so I'll shut it.

21. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I can only answer yes to five of the six, that, according to our pollster, makes me part of the problem...just like Rome, so I answered the poll by clicking in the Rome camp.

Additionally, since Rome hates soccer, by extension he must hate the MetroScum. I hate the MetroScum, so therefore I must be like Rome.

Of course, it could be that the initial premise of 6 of 6 or you're a problem is a bit wanky...but considering that premise was a Scum supporter's, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

22. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I feel so guilty. If I were Catholic, I would be in confessional for a week.

23. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    1. No, because games sometimes interfere with the times of my children's games. As a matter of fact, my son had a 4pm indoor game yesterday. We taped and he wouldn't listen to the radio on the way home for fear of hearing the score. But we do attend at least a dozen NE Revs and NH Phantoms matches (both over a hour away) each year along with about half a dozen college games.

2. No, they don't offer it on my cable system.

3. Yes, I bought a Ajax jersey for my son today at lunchtime.

4. Yes, we always bring a group to games.

5. Yes, we have traveled to see the NH Phantoms play and saw the US in Richmond.

6. Yes, enough to embarass my kids.

MLS and the US games are never more important than watching my own kids play.

24. bigsexyturd

bigsexyturd New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Watford, England
    No, but thats because i live in England

No because its not available to me.

I am always buying MLS stuff featuring my favourite team whenever it becomes available to me.

Yes

Yes. I flew to LA for two night just to watch the MLS final and i went to France for the Confederations Cup.

yes. I have been told to calm down on several occassions.

If i can put in all this effort to support my team from halfway around the world then surely fans that live in the same area as their team could put in a little more effort.