News: Who qualified, and who didn't, and other olympic sports stuff

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by soccernutter, Jul 19, 2008.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ja2ny, you keep promoting the greatness of track and field based on the awesome success of Bolt. But, again, I ask, the following:
    Do you have anybody running the 1600m? How about the 10000m? How about anybody in the heptathlon or decathlon? Marathon?

Further, ja2ny, how do you answer the following: When we think of the Olys, we not only include T&F, but swimming, gymnastics, and a whole host of other sports. It is the Olympics, not the T&F world championships.

2. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    Why do they have different races for different styles of swimming? Shouldn't it be about who's the fastest over the distance no matter what style they're using?

Practitioners of high-jump for example has been forced to conform to what ever style is best for getting as high as possible over the bar.

3. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Because you aren't upright while swimming, there are so many ways you can swim (backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, freestyle) while there is only one way to run. Different styles of swimming require different skill-sets and strategies and the varying distances diversify it even more (100m and 200m butterfly are completely different).

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Base on the discussion, I put up a poll

5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did I. I love that fact that she was so composed when she gave her post-race interview which showed so much class and grace in defeat. Then a few moments later, they show her leaned against a wall crying her eyes out. Heartbreaking.

6. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The Olympics can be a cruel b!tch.

7. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Do you live in a hole in the ground? seriously.

8. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.

I saw that there was over 90,000 people at the birds nest to watch track & field,not swimming not gymnastics. I think we do have someone in the heptathlon. Besides a country of 2.8 million people should not be destroying the track like they have been doing compared to a country of 300 million+ not to mention that the U.S. is like 30 times or more richer than Jamaica. In the words of mrs Bolt " Dance mon everyting nice:D"

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You missed the point...Jamacia are not "destroying" the track. They are doing fantastic in the sprints, but otherwise, they are invisable. Long jump? Shot put? Discucs? You *think* somebody was in the heptathlon, but you don't know. If track and field is the event - and only event - why don't you know?

You will never hear me argue against T&F being the most popular sport at the Olys. But you argue that it should be the only sport/event at the Olys. Your perception is that because Bolt set two WR at this Olys, T&F should be the above all. But you have failed to mention anything about races over 200m. I am not saying that the US is better than Jamacia at sprinting. I am simply saying that T&F is not the start or end of the Olympics, as riverplate is showing by constantly giving news updates.

10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
  11. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    no I don't. and guess who was on the front page of the Chicago Tribune this morning? Usain Bolt. man, everyone is saying he is crap :rolleyes:

12. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    good job Japan and Netherlands. heartbreaking for the women's water polo squad. Let's hope the men can continue their improbable run!

13. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.

Hey I will take that over steriods any day:D

14. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obituary of the day

In Affectionate (or is it Disaffectionate?) Remembrance
    of
    USA SOFTBALL,
    WHICH DIED AT THE FENGTAI FIELD
    on
    21st AUGUST, 2008
    Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and family, despondent acquaintances, and despairing fans of the sport who also mourn the removal of it from the Olympic Program in 2012. (As well as deeply celebrated by weeaboos around the world.)
    ------
    R.I.P.
    ------

N.B. - The body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Japan.

15. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    "The 100m dash is thee Marquee event of the Olympics". Max Kellerman ;)

16. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why should we care what he says? :rolleyes:

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So?

btw - ja2ny, do you run or did you run? If so, what distance?

18. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Default Re: Who qualified, and who didn't, and other olympic sports stuff

Track & field is just like swimming in that no one really cares about them anymore once the Olympics are over. They each get a little over a week of glory every four years.

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Re: Obituary of the day

This result will be one of the highlights of these Olympics for me.

This faux baseball sport will be dead and buried after 2008 (along with all its no-hitters and strikeouts -- yawn). The U.S. gals will come home without Olympic gold around their necks and we won't need to put up with cover stories about them and their "great accomplishment" on the pages of Sports Illustrated or being brought to the White House for dinner and a reception.

Play real baseball, ladies -- then brag about how f***ing good you are.

20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    By Withholding Photos, Olympic Timekeeper Draws Attention to Relationship With Phelps - New York Times

21. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    do people really think that photos would show that Cavic won? it's .01 of a second people.

22. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why can't people just let it go? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

24. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Re: Default Re: Who qualified, and who didn't, and other olympic sports stuff

Maybe in the U.S. no one cares about T & F after the olympics but world wide track & field has alot of buzz not like the olympics but far more buzz than swimming thats a fact.

25. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    I mean I love to swim but to try and put swimming on the same level as track & field is crazy just do the research and see for yourself. Any way I joined the track team in 11th grade I ran the 55m my best time was a 6.74 all county. I ran the 200m my best time was a 23.19(Bolt would kick my ass for sure).Also ran the 100m my best time was a 11.29 which I was all Island. Thats above All County (also I pull a hamstring on that run.) I was the only to go all county in the 100m & shot put I threw a 47.5 ft. And I played HB in football. I regret not joining track an field at a earlier age. you?