Who Produces the Best Youngsters?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by MightyBees, Sep 14, 2003.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Raul at Real was an exception to the usual run of things there.

West Ham deserves some props for the likes of Lampard, Joe Cole, Defoe, Glenn Johnson and others before them.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Bravo certainly is good but not that good.

ya, Raul got a start at that other club in Madrid. But they like to overlook that almost as much as the fact they were founded by a Catalayan!

3. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think PSV, Manchester United, Sporting, and River Plate all have excellent youth setups.

For a smaller club, Blackburn has an excellent youth academy, however, they aren't nearly as good as those who I previously mentioned.

4. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is pretty interesting that Ajax would put one in the USA. Are they putting it in Orlando because US Soccer has one in Bradenton which isn't that far from Orlando?

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i concur

nice try dingle - besides ronaldo and romario that gento pointed out were NOT psv products... neither were nilis (anderlecht IIRC), robben (groningen), gullit (haarlem) or van nistelrooy (den bosch) !!!!!!!!!

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Other than that Eindhovuh was completely right :D

7. Eindhovuh

Eindhovuh New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Holland
    Man, you're so stupid. PSV made those players big. That's what I ment. It's the same like I would say: "Raul isn't a Real Madrid product, he's a Athletico Madrid product".

8. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    You are the stupid one.
    Raul joined Real Madrid being 13 or 14 years old.He played 3 o 4 years in Real Madrid youth teams and then he joined Real Madrid first team.
    Romario and Ronaldo joined PSV first team at first.
    I guess it is easy to see the difference:Raul was 13 or 14 years when he joined Real Madrid;Ronaldo was 17 or 18;and Romario was (I dont know.Certainly not 13 or 14.I would say 20 or 21)

9. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    United have been one of the best when it comes to producing youngsters. Scholes, butt, Beckham, p neville, g neville, o shea, brown. More recently liverpool have not done to bad. However, there is something that they do very right in Holland, for such a small country they are technically amazing, i wonder what it is...

10. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    Re: Re: Who Produces the Best Youngsters?

Yes,Raul was an exception to the rule.
    So were Iker Casillas,Guti,Butragueño,Michel,Sanchis,Martin Vazquez,Pavon,etc.
    But you are right,Lampard,Joe Cole,Defoe and Gleen Johnson are better than the ones listed above.

11. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Actually Ruud came from Den Bosch, Ronaldo came from Gremio, Romario came from Vasco Da Gama and Robben came from Groningen.:)

12. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Ayala is a Ferro product (Ferrocarril Oeste) and Zanetti is a Banfield product but yes, I agree, River hasd produced a constellation that overtakes Ajax, I challenge you to mention one BIG team in Europe that it is not using (or used in the last 20 years) at least one player coming from River, (english teams aside) let see:

Barcelona: Saviola
    RM: Solari
    Valencia: Aimar
    Depor: Duscher
    Bayern: DeMichelis
    Leverkusen: Placente
    Wolfsburg :)D) D'Alessandro
    Milan: Guglielminpietro
    Inter: Almeyda
    Roma: Cufré
    Parma: Ortega

etc etc

13. Eindhovuh

Eindhovuh New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Holland
    Are you really that stupid
    RvN came from Den Bosch: PSV made him big and he went to a bigger club
    Ronaldo came from Gremio: PSV made him big and he went to a bigger club.
    Romario came from Vasco da Gama: PSV made him big and he went to a bigger club.

14. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    Its gotta be Ajax man. As far as I know they were the first team with an Academy system. Taking on young children and developing them into top class talent!

Too many to mention

Orange

15. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    We are not talking about clubs that make their players bigger;we are talking about what clubs produce good youngsters.

16. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    VALENCIA DONT PRODUCE ANYONE

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

don't bother trying to make sense to him... he's got so much traffic goin' over his head somebody could put in a waffle house

18. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    You are right,Valencia is not the best team producing youngsters
    They have Albelda,and Palop(he is a good GK,but Cañizares is the starter GK).Well,Curro Torres is from Valencia young teams,and he is decent.
    They also have some marginally players like Garrido or David Navarro.
    It is a crappy list for such a good team.

19. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Somehow a lot of our talent goes to waste as soon as they move to another club.

But still...

20. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    how about Juan Sanchez?:D

21. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    This guy Milan: Guglielminpietro aka "Guly" plays for Inter. Same city, wrong club. Come to think of it I can't name an Argentine at Milan!

22. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    First, he did play for Milan prior to his stint in Inter, second, he's now at Bologna, third, Ayala played for Milan before he moved to Valencia.

23. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    I didn't realize that he said w/in the last 20 yrs. I thought he was saying currently.

Also just checked the Inter site and yuo are correct that Guly is no longer w/ Inter. I'll take your word that he is at Bologna.

24. decobraziliant

decobraziliant New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Porto and Sporting!!! There must be a reason why Portugal keeps winning in full of youth tournaments in almost every different age groups!!!

25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agredv that River Plate has overtaken Ajax in recent history. But it seemed that Ajax has produced greater players in history.

Did Mariop Kempes come from River Plate system? Or was he brought by River Plate?